House Price Crash Forum

Free Bee Hive

SarahBell

HOLA441
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

What happens to a colony when the Queen bee dies?

Edit: I am guessing that the colony dies, as it is genetically the same as the Queen, has no means of reproducing after her death, has no way of raising a successor Queen without royal jelly, and therefore serves no further evloutionary function.

HOLA443

"I ain't seen it"

Bee fact:

The average person can tolerate 10 stings per lb of bodyweight.

There really is a lot of hysteria re. bee/wasp stings...I'm really not surprised by that fact at all. I once had a multiple sting attack when I sliced through a wasp nest with a hedge trimmer...right through the centre of the paper ball in fact. And tbh although wasp stings are quite sharp the pain is almost gone as soon as you realise what has happened. As an amateur gardener for many years my real fear is flies...one bite can really f%%k you up for weeks, on the face can actually distort features and even be a danger to breathing such is the swelling.

The real enemy to your health and wellbeing...nightmare.......

http://puredefensepestsolutions.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/black-horse-fly-pure-defense-pest.jpg

HOLA444

Edit: I am guessing that the colony dies, as it is genetically the same as the Queen, has no means of reproducing after her death, has no way of raising a successor Queen without royal jelly, and therefore serves no further evloutionary function.

That'll be us when Elizabeth II passes away.

HOLA445

The nurse bees make royal jelly.

As long as they have some eggs they can make a new queen. But it means there's a break in brood production.

http://eberthoney.com/honeybeeblog/blog4.php/2009/06/01/supering-and-queen-cells

There's a lovely queen cell on this page.

HOLA446

There really is a lot of hysteria re. bee/wasp stings...I'm really not surprised by that fact at all. I once had a multiple sting attack when I sliced through a wasp nest with a hedge trimmer...right through the centre of the paper ball in fact. And tbh although wasp stings are quite sharp the pain is almost gone as soon as you realise what has happened.

The centre of a wasps' nest is surprisingly tough, as I found when disposing of a large one from the loft (having waited until they'd all died off first). Won't stand in the way of a hedge trimmer though. Whenever I've been stung it's lasted a little longer than that, although it's not serious. My dad had a nasty experience with a wasp once though when he took a swig of beer out of a can that a wasp had crawled in to. He was stung on the lip, lucky it wasn't more than that.

HOLA447

The centre of a wasps' nest is surprisingly tough, as I found when disposing of a large one from the loft (having waited until they'd all died off first). Won't stand in the way of a hedge trimmer though. Whenever I've been stung it's lasted a little longer than that, although it's not serious. My dad had a nasty experience with a wasp once though when he took a swig of beer out of a can that a wasp had crawled in to. He was stung on the lip, lucky it wasn't more than that.

There's a wasp gone in my shed the other day. Being the brave soul (without a bee suit on) I am I waved a hoe and it and then legged it when it flew at me. :)

I don't like wasps. If it sets up a nest it'll go the same way as the one last year.

HOLA448

The nurse bees make royal jelly.

As long as they have some eggs they can make a new queen. But it means there's a break in brood production.

http://eberthoney.com/honeybeeblog/blog4.php/2009/06/01/supering-and-queen-cells

There's a lovely queen cell on this page.

But the new Queen would not be fertilised. I always understood that a Queen mated before flying off and establishing a nest. So what would this new Queen do to become fertile? Leave her nest, mate, and then return? Or abandon her nest and establish a new one?

HOLA449

But the new Queen would not be fertilised. I always understood that a Queen mated before flying off and establishing a nest. So what would this new Queen do to become fertile? Leave her nest, mate, and then return? Or abandon her nest and establish a new one?

The new queen is a virgin and after about 5 days, the worker bees send her out to get laid. She flies to a drone congregation area where the boys hang out and then they chase here, catch her, shag her, explode and leave their genitals in her for the next drone to remove before shagging her.

They can have several mating flights and mate with multiple drones storing the sperm in a spermatacea inside her abdomen which she then releases to fertilise eggs to make girl bees.

Boys are haploid and are basically the queen's DNA being sent out into the world to reproduce. The worker girls she makes are her dna mixed with drone DNA and they are diploid.

HOLA4410

The new queen is a virgin and after about 5 days, the worker bees send her out to get laid. She flies to a drone congregation area where the boys hang out and then they chase here, catch her, shag her, explode and leave their genitals in her for the next drone to remove before shagging her.

They can have several mating flights and mate with multiple drones storing the sperm in a spermatacea inside her abdomen which she then releases to fertilise eggs to make girl bees.

Boys are haploid and are basically the queen's DNA being sent out into the world to reproduce. The worker girls she makes are her dna mixed with drone DNA and they are diploid.

I love it when you talk dirty.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

when did you last have earwig honey?

I'm afraid they don't do that Sarah! But they are one of the unusual insects that they lay few eggs and bring up their young. Earwigs don't really have a larval stage. They are just smaller earwigs. And they are good predators to have in the garden, so there! :blink: There are some cracking oversized earwigs in the far East! Some are nearly the size of a donkey, and make hissy noises when you piss them off. :unsure:

HOLA4423

I'm afraid they don't do that Sarah! But they are one of the unusual insects that they lay few eggs and bring up their young. Earwigs don't really have a larval stage. They are just smaller earwigs. And they are good predators to have in the garden, so there! :blink: There are some cracking oversized earwigs in the far East! Some are nearly the size of a donkey, and make hissy noises when you piss them off. :unsure:

I used to like silverfish

HOLA4424

I used to like silverfish

I remember them trooping round the coal fire hearth when I was a child. They thought it was a volcano! Where are they now?

HOLA4425

Archived