House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Free Bee Hive

Bees look dangerous. Those people are wearing biological isolation suits, like at Porton Down.

Whilst I have mused upon having a couple of hives in the garden, to the extent of watching some Youtube vidoes on it anyway, I didn't envisage a move to Perth as being part of the process.

Oh, I would love one. The lot down my part of the world come across as grumpy. I know a few bee keepers locally and they are secretive about their hives to the point of obsession. Try getting a free jar off honey out of them even when you have done some work for them and they look at you in horror.

Your lot sound a lot nicer. If I lived locally I would be tempted.

If you build it they will come.

Funny enough one did turn up in my back garden last week. Housed itself nicely into a nuc box I had sat there waiting.

:-D

Oh, I would love one. The lot down my part of the world come across as grumpy. I know a few bee keepers locally and they are secretive about their hives to the point of obsession. Try getting a free jar off honey out of them even when you have done some work for them and they look at you in horror.

Your lot sound a lot nicer. If I lived locally I would be tempted.

Two of the nastiest people I know go to the local bka thing. Horrid bastards. In fact some of the others are there. No sympathy for someone who lost their bees, no offers of assistance or support.

Most of the bee case law is beekeeper vs beekeeper.

Can you have a Beehive in any garden? like in a row of terraced houses?

Or are there restrictions on locations?

I had wondered that myself! Do you need a certificate?

I had wondered that myself! Do you need a certificate?

No.

You can't do your basic certificate until you have kept bees for 12 months.

You have to learn about how to stop them swarming so you don't annoy the neighbours.

You'd be best not having any next door to horses, a nursery (kids, not plants), hot tubs, or vile neighbours who play with matches.

But in reality they are not a nuisance.

If they swarm and swarm a lot then you will get noticed and annoy people. And losing your bees is in effect losing a honey crop so you don't want to do that anyway.

The advice is generally join a BKA and go on a course. I'd say, get some hands on experience after you've read a few hundred pages of this forum: beekeepingforum.co.uk

Find a mentor who will at the very least be there for advice on the phone, and if possibly teach you by showing you how to inspect a hive.

Haynes Bee Manual is an excellent read.

Is there really 50,000 Bees in a hive?

Apparenty when you tell Neighbours this they freak out!

:)

There can be at the peak of summer.

It's normally the 5-15k bees flying about in a swarm that will make them piss their pants.

Bees are incredible creatures that keep the ecology rolling. But, my mother used to keep them and, in captivity, they're a pain in the ****. They chase you around the garden. They sting your friends. They make a swarm on your bike that you left lying on the lawn. (Some of those factors are more relevant when you're aged eight).

A good job you don't need a certificate - they keep turning up in my garden unannounced. Most years I end up calling the local bee bloke to come round and collect another free swarm. They're probably his anyway, thinking about it!

I had a swarm set up in the wall cavity once. That was a major pain to deal with.

Two of the nastiest people I know go to the local bka thing. Horrid bastards. In fact some of the others are there. No sympathy for someone who lost their bees, no offers of assistance or support.

Most of the bee case law is beekeeper vs beekeeper.

Are there any cases of bee vs. beekeeper?

or bee vs. bee?

Bees are incredible creatures that keep the ecology rolling. But, my mother used to keep them and, in captivity, they're a pain in the ****. They chase you around the garden. They sting your friends. They make a swarm on your bike that you left lying on the lawn. (Some of those factors are more relevant when you're aged eight).

A good job you don't need a certificate - they keep turning up in my garden unannounced. Most years I end up calling the local bee bloke to come round and collect another free swarm. They're probably his anyway, thinking about it!

:-D

Aww yes I can see how you'd be a bit annoyed about them stopping on your bike.

The whole certificate thing has changed. The basic now includes a section about swarming, and so it should. There should be more emphasis on the whole 'stop bees annoying the neighbours by swarming'.

Two people from Manc beek told me independently they'd adopted the 'let the bees do what they want' thing. Which is fine unless you're the one who gets called to lots of little swarms.

Are there any cases of bee vs. beekeeper?

or bee vs. bee?

The bees are nice. They don't sue.

I don't think you can get them to turn up in court if you try to sue them.