House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mooncat69

Recovering Data From A Smashed Iphone 5C

Does anyone have any advice for recovering data from an iPhone 5c before it gets a broken screen replaced?

It has irreplaceable personal stuff on it - messages (various sources), photos etc. I don't know how much of it is available in the cloud, or how much has been backed up as it's never been near iTunes, AFAIAA.

Ideally, I want to pull it all offline and back up in several places, just in case the phone is destroyed during repairs.

Does anyone have experience with this, or any reliable tools to help?

Does it boot and work properly? If so, can you plug it into the PC with a cable (or use Wi-Fi sync if you have that turned on), and use iTunes to back up the data onto your PC from there by running a 'Sync'?

From memory that doesn't involve interacting with the phone via the screen though I could be wrong on that.

Is there a danger that just plugging it into iTunes will wipe it? That happened to an iPod of mine when it thought I had a different account

If you see a message that reads along the following lines:

"This iPhone is synchronised with another device. Do you want to replace the contents of the iPhone?"

The answer is no.

I'd also approach this with some trepidation.

What do you mean by data?

You can log into the icloud via a web broswer and see what is there.

Itunes should not delete your iphone data by simply connecting your iphone to your PC.

I *think* it's safe as long as you read the message carefully and click the right button, like on a game show where your first answer is the only one that can be accepted and there's no going back.

I *think* it's safe as long as you read the message carefully and click the right button, like on a game show where your first answer is the only one that can be accepted and there's no going back.

Are you sure you want to leave this page?

I can only accept your first answer

If it's just a cracked screen your data is safe. I have had a dozen iphones repaired at work and never lost data. Always a first time I suppose.