House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Concrete Bases As A Possible Second Income.

I needed a concrete base for a shed and the local builder quoted me £400 to do a 6ft x 8ft (3 inches) and thought I could do better so....

Bought a cement mixer from Screw Fix £199 and materials for £130. I started at 10am this morning and finished about an hour ago and the results aren't too shabby... see photo.

It's such a breeze and as I've acquired a new toy was thinking I could put it to good use and make it pay. £250 for the one shown in photo for example and work backwards/forwards depending on size.

Would this be viable. 25 year guarantee (I won't be around that long). 3-4 jobs a month on top of pulling pints 15 hours a week and I'd be happy.

Looks OK.

What mix did you use? What weight ratio.

It's the tax, insurance, vat, extra vehicle costs, road tax, petrol, clothing, new boots, etc etc that'll make the difference?

Best vote Brexit. I am sure the regulations around this kind of thing will kill your plan stone dead otherwise.

Other than that what have you got to lose? A few postcards in the local shops, a post or two on the local facebook/streetlife page and see what happens.

You've bought a concrete mixer to build a shed - in which to keep your concrete mixer. It's people like you who keep our economy moving!

Perfectly viable if there is the demand. Are you sure you will be as enthusiastic when its 3 tons of ballast through a house, up and down garden steps and along a 200ft garden path?

Perfectly viable if there is the demand. Are you sure you will be as enthusiastic when its 3 tons of ballast through a house, up and down garden steps and along a 200ft garden path?

It's 4 to 1 mix (ballast/cement) as luck would have it this was through my house so 25kg bags...

A van will be fine and all other costs incidental.

Do you charge extra if there's a body involved?

PM me.

edit: oh gaw'd... I was saying that in jest - you didn't have to and the answer is no I won't do it not even for the £5k you offered. Erghh!

Guest eight

PM me.

edit: oh gaw'd... I was saying that in jest - you didn't have to and the answer is no I won't do it not even for the £5k you offered. Erghh!

If you tried something like this round here you would be treading on the toes of a certain community who assume that this sort of cash in hand manual work should remain their sole preserve. So there probably would be a body involved - yours.

It's 4 to 1 mix (ballast/cement) as luck would have it this was through my house so 25kg bags...

A van will be fine and all other costs incidental.

It starts to get old real quick with bigger quantities. I hope you're a big strong lad.

Guest eight

It is sort of amusing that Long Tom Silver is thinking of burying some pieces for Eight.

:lol::lol::lol:

Too good!

2 of sand and 1 of cement ?

I`ve just been laying some slabs in front of my shed. A six inch step up (to park motorbike) was too much.. 3 inches is better.

2 of sand and 1 of cement ?

I`ve just been laying some slabs in front of my shed. A six inch step up (to park motorbike) was too much.. 3 inches is better.

No sand just ballast 4 to 1 cement. It is 3.5 inches thick.

You are all so blokey, knowing all about concrete! :blink: I am in awe.

Should have hired the mixer...only about ten quid a day...

When you go into HSS don't ask for a mixer, ask for an Irish tumble drier.

Re. earning extra cash laying concrete: hard work, not that lucrative, quite satisfying work.