House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

'creatives'

I have just learnt of the existence of the 'Creative Industries Association.'

Yet another example of the misappropriation of the word 'creative', as if people outside the arts world are incapable of creating anything.

I value the arts, and respect talented artists, but the assumption that they alone are creative is a prime example of up-their-own-**** luvviness.

Building a bridge is creative. reciting lines written by someone else, not so much.

Sectors of the creative industries

For the purpose of membership we define the Creative Industry sectors as follows:

• Advertising and media
  • Architecture
  • Broadcasting
  • Crafts
  • Creative education
  • Creative tech
  • Design
  • Fashion
  • Film
  • Heritage
  • Museums, galleries and libraries
  • Music
  • Performing arts

So, no engineers then. No artisans, then. Technology is only creative if it is 'creative tech', whatever that is.

Guest eight

So, no engineers then. No artisans, then. Technology is only creative if it is 'creative tech', whatever that is.

Museums? Looking after stuff other people have created (in many cases possibly for reasons that they don't seem to regard as creative) doesn't sound very creative to me. Got to love "creative education" and "creative tech." Anyone care to define them without going in circles?

Yet another example of the misappropriation of the word 'creative', as if people outside the arts world are incapable of creating anything.

I value the arts, and respect talented artists, but the assumption that they alone are creative is a prime example of up-their-own-**** luvviness.

Building a bridge is creative. reciting lines written by someone else, not so much.

To paraphrase one of dem oldendays guys, I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member.

How much coke do you use?

Half of Columbia? The you are a creative.

It also helps if you're a tnuc and wear a bowtie.

Virtually every museum across the UK has someone employed in some kind of PR / Media related role. I imagine that many have someone doing their FB and twitter stuff these days also. Often these people will either be ex broadcast media or have aspirations to work in broadcast media.

So I guess this organisation knows full well the kind of person that it is targeting as potential members.

Virtually every museum across the UK has someone employed in some kind of PR / Media related role. I imagine that many have someone doing their FB and twitter stuff these days also. Often these people will either be ex broadcast media or have aspirations to work in broadcast media.

So I guess this organisation knows full well the kind of person that it is targeting as potential members.

Stuff!!!!

Social media executive please.

Wait til I tell Alan Yentob at dinner tonight.

I know many engineers who, for recreation, can play music, sing, write moving poetry and engaging prose, paint with oil or watercolour, fashion fine ceramics, or draw competently.

I find it rare to find a professional artist who even knows how to hold a f***ing screwdriver properly.

I know many engineers who, for recreation, can play music, sing, write moving poetry and engaging prose, paint with oil or watercolour, fashion fine ceramics, or draw competently.

I find it rare to find a professional artist who even knows how to hold a f***ing screwdriver properly.

Ha ha. Too true. The self-proclaimed "creatives" don't know how anything works, and can't paint the pictures they criticise. :blink:

Creative people are basically problem-solvers why it applies to the likes of engineers but most roles will have / need some element of creativity.

Creativity and the arts is something different - drawn from inspiration.

Don't agree with it being a club; basically barriers to entry puts people off, makes them give up.

Ha ha. Too true. The self-proclaimed "creatives" don't know how anything works, and can't paint the pictures they criticise. :blink:

But they have bowties Pinny. Bowties!

But they have bowties Pinny. Bowties!

Look! I have bow ties, because I am a proper engineer.

At the pinnacle of the creative industries I have to say we are not that creative anymore. Just to give a few examples...

Art 1970s...Hockney, Lucien Freud.....2010s....Hirst, Emin

Music 1970s...Lennon, Lloyd Webber....2010s...Adele and err Adele.

I guess greats sometimes emerge post humously...but I don't see many living greats except burnt out ones like Lloyd Webber and Hockney.

Actually we are absolutely abysmal just now...could be a switch to technology from the arts.

Hockney, a creative, paints two creatives, when we were a bit more creative in the artistic sense....

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmydailyartdisplay.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F06%2Fmr-and-mrs-clark-by-david-hockney.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmydailyartdisplay.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F06%2F09%2Fmr-and-mrs-clark-and-percy-by-david-hockney%2F&docid=iWg7ItmZ2mqwuM&tbnid=5O4hfq04crcbHM%3A&w=800&h=556&bih=876&biw=1280&ved=0ahUKEwip-tynsPDMAhXMDcAKHTGuDisQMwgfKAIwAg&iact=mrc&uact=8

A friend of mine moved to Edinburgh and moves in 'creative/arty' circles. The one thing they all have in common is shitloads of money in a trust fund or some sort of big incoherence lined up, so that even if they don't ever earn a penny from work, it doesn't really matter.

None of them have had to do a gruelling shift in a service job to meet ends meet, or in some cases any job.

Oh, and they don't consider my job, a computer programmer, to be creative. Even though it requires more creative skill than most of their jobs.

Guest eight

A friend of mine moved to Edinburgh and moves in 'creative/arty' circles. The one thing they all have in common is shitloads of money in a trust fund or some sort of big incoherence lined up, so that even if they don't ever earn a penny from work, it doesn't really matter.

None of them have had to do a gruelling shift in a service job to meet ends meet, or in some cases any job.

Oh, and they don't consider my job, a computer programmer, to be creative. Even though it requires more creative skill than most of their jobs.

You got that right.

Careful with the use of the word 'luvvies' - you may be comitting a hate crime !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/21/tom-conti-claims-calling-actors-luvvies-is-as-bad-as-using-the-n/