House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Checklist - Females With Aspergers Syndrome

https://everydayaspie.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/females-with-aspergers-syndrome-checklist-by-samantha-craft/

Just a few pulled at random:

Mundane tasks are avoided
Jokes go over the head
“Freaks out” but doesn’t know why until later

Fears others opinions, criticism, and judgment
Dislikes words and events that hurt animals and people
Obsesses about the potentiality of a relationship with someone, particularly a love interest or feasible new friendship
Misdiagnosed or diagnosed with a mental illness
Escapes through a relationship (imagined or real)

That just seems like a tool for professionals, trawling for victims, that allows almost anyone to be given a diagnosis of Aspergers.

I used to be deeply dubious of the Aspergers label (indeed, of most mental condition labels) but I now know someone with it. She is seriously bonkers. It's a complete new level compared to usual female-ness. And a massive handicap.

I used to be deeply dubious of the Aspergers label (indeed, of most mental condition labels) but I now know someone with it. She is seriously bonkers. It's a complete new level compared to usual female-ness. And a massive handicap.

ASD (Austim Spectrum Disorder) is a pain to diagnose because most of the symptoms are not unique to autism. Example: the classic "hand flapping" used to spot an autistic kid? Well, loads of people - especially women - flap their hands when they get over-excited. It's just the frequency of the event that is different in an ASD person.

And measuring that difference is hard. Meaning that lots of kids get an ASD label when they're just been "munchausened by proxy" by overbearing mothers... and equally kids that really need help get ignored.

It's all a bit of a mess.

That just seems like a tool for professionals, trawling for victims, that allows almost anyone to be given a diagnosis of Aspergers.

Yes, and you could apply a lot of that to some men too.

I believe you just have to accept people are all different. :huh:

A lot of people who claim to have Aspergers don't. I blame the internet and over-diagnosis from WebMD etc. There was a point when I was younger where I wondered if I had it, due to quizzes like this:

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism.htm

Just did it again and scored 40. Ha.

37 for me :)

A lot of people who claim to have Aspergers don't. I blame the internet and over-diagnosis from WebMD etc. There was a point when I was younger where I wondered if I had it, due to quizzes like this:

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism.htm

The verb 'to have' is problematic when you're talking about something which is essentially a collection of personality traits rather than an infection or a physical characteristic.

ASD (Austim Spectrum Disorder) is a pain to diagnose because most of the symptoms are not unique to autism. Example: the classic "hand flapping" used to spot an autistic kid? Well, loads of people - especially women - flap their hands when they get over-excited. It's just the frequency of the event that is different in an ASD person.

And measuring that difference is hard. Meaning that lots of kids get an ASD label when they're just been "munchausened by proxy" by overbearing mothers... and equally kids that really need help get ignored.

It's all a bit of a mess.

they are micro diagnosing...what was once treated now demands a myriad of possible mental illnesses...seems to me, most are treated the same, regardless. remove from stress, reassure and release. add Lithium and a choice of anti depressants.

Surprisingly that is good...Aspergers, autism, bi-polar..these are badges of honour worth extra Brownie points in our Society and possibly a bit of welfare Wonga.

I think that the diagnoses can have a positive effect upon individuals as they'll stop the self-questioning and self-doubt about negative aspects of their own behaviours and can put them down to a particular label.

This is good in that if they can box off such behaviour / thoughts under a particular label then they can separate them, understand them, and feel better about themselves generally.

Ah, you must not like smalltalk and avoid a few social situtations too.

Thats not autism, its enlightenment. You've realized that the majority of people are ******ing assclowns and best avoided.

Its why so many social events involve drink - its so people can stand to be in the same room as other people.

I scored 35.

The verb 'to have' is problematic when you're talking about something which is essentially a collection of personality traits rather than an infection or a physical characteristic.

Not really. You either have it or you don't, often dependent on if you've been diagnosed or not.