House Price Crash Forum

Birds + Binoculars

Steppenpig

HOLA441
9 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

I had no idea how scant a display of knowledge could get me over that threshold.

I put a plaster on my thumb yesterday. I'm now seriously considering whether to add MD to the letters after my name.

Just accept it - Bill Oddie is one too - it could be worse !!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, Sledgehead said:

Red kites are ever-present birds of prey here (Hampshire), and less conspicuously so, kestrels..

Magpies are the commonest corvids though rooks and crows are pretty common. Seagulls too numerous. The singular Heron. Geese in formation at the right time of year.

Then there's woodpeckers, green and spotted. Wood pigeons often fall victim to the BoPs.

Blackbirds are always around. Starlings have made a comeback. Thrushes are a bit of a rarity.

Robins are numerous. Wren numbers have gone up.

Then we're onto dunnocks, blue tits, sparrows, goldfinches, green finches, great tits and less often, long-tailed tits.  Haven't seen a bullfinch lately. When it gets real cold out come the wagtails, but I haven't seen any this year.

Linnets were a new addition last year. Great call ("frightens the cats round here to death").

Can't say I'm any kind of twitcher, but I think it's embarrassing to not know what's flying around your own garden.

We see Red Kites all the time here (Hampshire/Surrey border) - they're doing really well. A fair few kestrels, but I see Red Kites more often.

I didn't realise the Little Egret was rare - have seen a few though haven't seen one for a few years now. Last sighting was of one in the central reservation on the A31 near Alton. Not far from a river.

Our local pond had a breeding pair of (quite rare) Red Crested Pochards but it is suspected that a fox may have got them ;(

Ironically, thrushes are supposed to avoid gardens with cats, and I see a song thrush in our garden every day. We did have a mistle thrush but haven't seen him/her for a year.

That's the pleasure I've found from living in the countryside. Not only are the species different and more varied, but being able to identify them is a joy in itself.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Archived