House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Systemic Candidiasis And Leaky Gut Syndrome

A.K.A. chronic yeast overgrowth from overconsumption of sugar, antibiotic use and/ or exposure to mould spores,

as the cause of symptoms encompassing many of the unspecified ills that bedevil us in the first world: sinusitis, IBS, bloating, foetid flatulence, tiredness, brain fog, joint and muscle aches, bad breath etc ... I've had the lot!

I'm convinced of the reality of this condition from my own experience and there's a lot of blogging about it but the medical profession gives it short shrift, only officially recognizing acute local yeast infections like Thrush or Athletes Foot.

I'm just getting over an episode now (following a course of 2 antibiotics) by my usual remedy of a zero sugar/ starch diet combined with raw garlic, probiotics and herbal teas (mainly ginger and Pau D'Arco) + a daily high potency vitamin/ mineral supplement (Solgar VM-75).

Anybody else get this?

I think they are all connected to be honest. I think it is hard to say where one ends and the other begins. I managed to go sugar free from New Year to Easter but have had a big relapse.

I stopped eating carbs for a while but then began to get lower backache around my kidney area and was advised by a keep fit friend to eat carbs again - the back ache went in a few days. Balance is the important thing.

I think gluten and sugar can pretty much create the same symptoms and people do become very ill.

The fact that alot of doctors do not believe this is complicated isn't it. Can't be good for the medical profession to be handing out antibiotics that causes other illnesses potentially. Gut bacterial is looking to be more and more important.

As far as I'm aware I haven't been troubled by this but I've read a few articles over the years about it.

I'm currently researching this because a few days ago a vet said my dog has a yeast infection in it's ear. Other symptoms the dog has had off and on for about three years seem to point to it having a general yeast problem. I'm using the ear drops the vet gave me but hope not to go back as I have no faith in vets or doctors and many of their treatments.

My belief is that diet is key to addressing this problem so I'm trying to figure out what to feed the dog. IMO the majority of modern commercial dog food is like human junk food and I feel guilty giving it to my dogs to supplement the real food they get.

Common food additives alter gut microbes, causing inflammation, colitis, obesity and diabetes

http://www.naturalnews.com/049229_microbiome_obesity_additives.html

A class of food additives used in nearly all processed foods may be partially to blame for inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) such as Crohn's disease, and may also lead to obesity and diabetes, according to a study conducted by researchers from Cornell University, Emory University, Georgia State University and Bar-Ilan University in Israel, and published in the journal Nature on February 25.

The study was funded by the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America and the National Institutes of Health.

The researchers found that emulsifiers, detergent-like additives used to improve the texture of food and lengthen its shelf life, alter the composition of the gut's microbiota. This change leads to an increase in inflammation that has been linked with various health conditions.

"These results ... suggest that the broad use of emulsifying agents might be contributing to an increased societal incidence of obesity/metabolic syndrome and other chronic inflammatory diseases," the researchers wrote.

My belief is that diet is key to addressing this problem so I'm trying to figure out what to feed the dog. IMO the majority of modern commercial dog food is like human junk food and I feel guilty giving it to my dogs to supplement the real food they get.

I had a poodle who lived for 19 years. Wonderful dog. Loved him to bits. Wouldn't touch dog food. We would buy chicken legs, cook them and he woofed them down. We tried putting bits of cooked chicken into mash & peas but he would just pick the chicken out. He liked bits of cooked pies when we had them also - steak & kidney, chicken, etc.

He had no interest in dog biscuits and we also gave him chocolate - which he loved - but apparently you are a dog murderer if you give a dog chocolate.

No, I wouldn't touch those since poster Corevalue clued-me up to them; just Metronidazole and Amoxil.

I had dry socket after a tooth extraction, and the dentist who looked at it prescribed me ciprofloxacin. Having got home and read that dry socket is basically untreatable and you gotta just live with it until it heals, and how nasty ciprofloxacin could be, I didn't take that placebo...

I'm convinced of the reality of this condition from my own experience

Sounds like magical thinking. The only way to know if your body is full of yeast would be to run a lab test that can detect yeast.

Sounds like magical thinking. The only way to know if your body is full of yeast would be to run a lab test that can detect yeast.

No, it's something else called inductive reasoning.

I'm convinced of the reality of the condition, not the aetiology, but yeast is my working hypothesis.

Good link. I'll certainly investigate colostrum.

A new symptom I've been getting with this episode was stiffness and spasms in the neck and left shoulder which I think may be Fibromyalgia, an auto-immune condition linked to leaky gut syndrome.

Have you read the vitamin d thread?

I find when I go through phases of odd pains especially back pain in the morning a quick blast of several thousand u of d3 makes the world of difference in a very short time (like the next couple of nights are fine).

A new symptom I've been getting with this episode was stiffness and spasms in the neck and left shoulder which I think may be Fibromyalgia, an auto-immune condition linked to leaky gut syndrome.

Have you read the vitamin d thread?

I find when I go through phases of odd pains especially back pain in the morning a quick blast of several thousand u of d3 makes the world of difference in a very short time (like the next couple of nights are fine).

No, I wouldn't touch those since poster Corevalue clued-me up to them; just Metronidazole and Amoxil.

****** mw just read about that. Clearly these extreme long-term side effects don't impact everyone who takes them - but certainly enough for me to insist on another type of anti biotic if I ever need one.

IME that's an allergic reaction to something eaten shortly before the symptoms appear.

I find that if I have pasta/breadnow, I am always less sharp the next day and often have bloating or neck pain. My diet is more and more just meat and two veg.

Fasting cures all.

won't argue with that. In fact, I feel another 3-dayer beckoning me.

At the moment low-carbing (+ raw garlic, probiotics, Pau D'Arco tea and multivits) seems be fixing it.

today so far: 2" german sausage, 1 thin slice of salami, 6-7 cherry toms, a small slice of cheddar, 1 egg fried in butter, a raw carrot and a handful of almonds.

coming up tonight: 1 small rib-eye steak + steamed savoy cabbage + butter.

possibly an avocado + mozarella + more cherry toms.

Got suddenly squitty tonight after a couple of days of tiredness and bad humour. If my yeast hypothesis is correct this could be a Jarisch-Herxheimer die-off, in which case, I'm on the road to recovery.

http://blog.probacto.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-herxheimer-candida-die-off/

I went through the whole candida overgrowth thing a few years ago. I believe it exists but that there is also an enormous amount of quackery as other have written above. I'm more doubtful about leaky gut syndrome.

Back in 2009 I had lots of low grade but persistent fungal infections in various areas. My GP gave me topical anti-fungal creams at first but they didn't work and neither did Nizoral (ketoconazole) shampoo. I then had a two month course of prescription oral anti-fungals (fluconazole followed by terbinafine) which cleared them all up. And I noticed that it also cleared up my chronic sinusitis which was a total surprise but a very welcome one - the difference was startling. So I do believe that there is something in the theory that candida overgrowth causes other health problems.

I certainly had symptoms which correspond to "die off" when taking the prescription anti-fungals and it was pretty horrible.

I then took lots of probiotics for a couple of years until I thought it was all permanently fixed. I was recommended a couple of single strain ones. And also I took quite a lot of caprylic acid which is a natural anti-fungal although it's massively confusing as to which sort works in the digestive tract (e.g. should you take pure caprylic acid or one of its salts and if so should it be a soluble salt or an insoluble salt)

It's very difficult area because candida is "commensal" (i.e. it occurs naturally in the body and is a healthy thing to have). It's just when it gets out of control that it can cause problems. There's also a problem with terminology because when doctors talk about systemic candidiasis they usually mean I think a very serious and sometimes life threatening invasive infection by candida of your organs etc. I think the problems commonly discussed on the internet are much milder and are really a type of imbalance rather than an infection - although it is often referred to as systemic candidiasis on the internet.

Anyway, my fungal infections have started to come back over the past couple of months. The other night I found some old probiotics and thought I'd see if they were still alive by turning them into yogurt and it's worked really well and it tastes delicious. And the yogurt is now giving me pretty bad "die off" again I think.

I went through the whole candida overgrowth thing a few years ago. I believe it exists but that there is also an enormous amount of quackery as other have written above. I'm more doubtful about leaky gut syndrome.

Back in 2009 I had lots of low grade but persistent fungal infections in various areas. My GP gave me topical anti-fungal creams at first but they didn't work and neither did Nizoral (ketoconazole) shampoo. I then had a two month course of prescription oral anti-fungals (fluconazole followed by terbinafine) which cleared them all up. And I noticed that it also cleared up my chronic sinusitis which was a total surprise but a very welcome one - the difference was startling. So I do believe that there is something in the theory that candida overgrowth causes other health problems.

I certainly had symptoms which correspond to "die off" when taking the prescription anti-fungals and it was pretty horrible.

I then took lots of probiotics for a couple of years until I thought it was all permanently fixed. I was recommended a couple of single strain ones. And also I took quite a lot of caprylic acid which is a natural anti-fungal although it's massively confusing as to which sort works in the digestive tract (e.g. should you take pure caprylic acid or one of its salts and if so should it be a soluble salt or an insoluble salt)

It's very difficult area because candida is "commensal" (i.e. it occurs naturally in the body and is a healthy thing to have). It's just when it gets out of control that it can cause problems. There's also a problem with terminology because when doctors talk about systemic candidiasis they usually mean I think a very serious and sometimes life threatening invasive infection by candida of your organs etc. I think the problems commonly discussed on the internet are much milder and are really a type of imbalance rather than an infection - although it is often referred to as systemic candidiasis on the internet.

Anyway, my fungal infections have started to come back over the past couple of months. The other night I found some old probiotics and thought I'd see if they were still alive by turning them into yogurt and it's worked really well and it tastes delicious. And the yogurt is now giving me pretty bad "die off" again I think.

Thanks for sharing your experiences which, as you stated, seem to confirm the reality of yeast overgrowth.

I've never had topical yeast infections nor tried prescription anti-fungal drugs although I was considering ordering some Nystatin lozenges from abroad but read that they aren't much more effective than raw garlic so opted for the latter, which seems to be working in combination with a no-sugar/ very low carb diet and Pau D'Arco tea.

It's not the first time I've been so stricken and it has always resolved in the past when I get my diet in order.

Good luck with yours.