House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Fridge Freezer Me ?

Made a mistake a few years ago of buying a cheap fridge freezer,which has caused many problems.

The main issue is with the freezer door being pushed open slightly by the draws. Ice builds up behind the back panel and pushes forward. When this first happened it busted the back internal panel,resulting in one draw being redundant. There's no way (at least easily) of securing the panel to the back the freezer. The screw mounts got wrenched out by the force of the ice. The freezer has become inefficient and the full capacity can't be used. Also it randomly stops working and defrosts,only to power-up and again, I've thrown lots of food away or the birds in the garden have feasted like kings.

A false economy buying cheap white goods,indeed.

So,I want to spend about £250ish and get something half decent. I need a free standing one,doesn't have to be big. Any suggestions please ? Thanks in advance.

Oh and from where ???

I'd just wander over to the Argos website. Wide choice, efficient delivery. No experience of after-sales: haven't wanted it.

Got my cheapo fridge-freezer there in a hurry back in 2005. In a hurry, because I'd ordered from elsewhere (as I was moving from a furnished to an unfurnished flat), but Comet's ordering system was broken and they messed up the order. So there I was in the new flat without any fridge at all. Argos to the rescue!

I suppose that when you have decided, Argos is usually cheap, they add about £20 for delivery within a time slot to suit you. Extra for express next day delivery.

I don't know if it's the same as they used to say about TVs 'basically all the same bits, except for the badge' or if that is just a myth that got round? I'll wait for a better informed post.

I do know that the larder fridge I bought a few months ago is bloody loud, I hear it at night in my tiny rental place droning on!

Someone told me that they banned ozone destroying gases (CFCs?) in modern fridges. They ruined the planet but they were a lot quieter than the new ones apparently. Again can't confirm that statement either. :D

A lot of the cheap ones, even Hotpoint & Indesit, are generally crap...If I buy white goods, i'd look at Samsung & LG...better made, with better components...Get one with dual compressors as well, as if a single compressor goes, then the other half of the fridge freezer will still work, which means you dont have to throw all your food out...

Got my cheapo fridge-freezer there in a hurry back in 2005. In a hurry, because I'd ordered from elsewhere (as I was moving from a furnished to an unfurnished flat), but Comet's ordering system was broken and they messed up the order. So there I was in the new flat without any fridge at all. Argos to the rescue!

I was very annoyed with Comet's supposed delivery service, right in the middle of me trying to move house. The first time it was "We couldn't find the place and there was no answer to our calls" (no missed calls either). They'd insisted that no, don't bother giving us detailed delivery instructions, the satnav will get us there despite me pointing out that it almost certainly won't.

The next time they then called the wrong number to say oops, we hadn't got the right van (it's a tight squeeze to get there, so needed a smaller than usual one). Again hanging around all day waiting for them.

When they finally did turn up and were supposed to fit the washing machine the **** started getting uppity - "Oh, that's a fitted one, can't do that." It wasn't fitted, it was just in a cupboard. Useless ****. I was clearly a bit p1ssed off at that time, but neither threatening or abusive (just "It's not fitted, it's just in a cupboard" in an annoyed tone of voice), but apparently that was enough for him to claim he could walk off the job. Wish he had, might've got the idiot in trouble.

So I'm never touching that lot again. Knew I shouldn't have bought into this modern fridge and washing machine nonsense :)

On the subject of replacing stuff the boiler's stopped again, so I'm probably going to replace that piece of junk. No-one seems to have that much good to say about boilers these days, are any of them actually OK?

I've had all sorts of fridge-freezers - cheap, expensive etc - they've all done it.

Apart from one - a really old (1970s) american style unit that presumably cost the earth to run (didn't have it that long - went with the house) - that was fantastic.

I was very annoyed with Comet's supposed delivery service, right in the middle of me trying to move house. The first time it was "We couldn't find the place and there was no answer to our calls" (no missed calls either). They'd insisted that no, don't bother giving us detailed delivery instructions, the satnav will get us there despite me pointing out that it almost certainly won't.

The next time they then called the wrong number to say oops, we hadn't got the right van (it's a tight squeeze to get there, so needed a smaller than usual one). Again hanging around all day waiting for them.

When they finally did turn up and were supposed to fit the washing machine the **** started getting uppity - "Oh, that's a fitted one, can't do that." It wasn't fitted, it was just in a cupboard. Useless ****. I was clearly a bit p1ssed off at that time, but neither threatening or abusive (just "It's not fitted, it's just in a cupboard" in an annoyed tone of voice), but apparently that was enough for him to claim he could walk off the job. Wish he had, might've got the idiot in trouble.

So I'm never touching that lot again. Knew I shouldn't have bought into this modern fridge and washing machine nonsense :)

On the subject of replacing stuff the boiler's stopped again, so I'm probably going to replace that piece of junk. No-one seems to have that much good to say about boilers these days, are any of them actually OK?

Comet went bust about four years ago...I know...I worked for them at the time...

We should have a domestic appliances forum. :wacko:

I've frequently been recommended John Lewis for white goods and electronics.

We bought a JL brand washer-dryer and under counter fridge from them and both have been excellent (so far).

That's a small sample size to draw much from but so far we'd go back. I just get the feeling that buyers at JL and Costco actually look for quality rather than just bulk purchasing what ever they can get the biggest discount on.

If I was looking for a FridgeFreezer right now at your price point I would go for this one:

https://m.johnlewis.com/lec-t5039-fridge-freezer-a-energy-rating-50cm-wide/p1697499

Right price, quality retailer, 3 very positive reviews, no negative ones.

My 2 cents.. DYOR etc.

Iceland - I have two fridge freezers, two freezers and a fridge bought from them. All 15-20 years old and still fine.

Something secondhand like this would be a bargain and would be perfect for any body, and only about £500 a year to run.

Believe me there is no gauarantee in paying more and expecting value and reliability. I speak from experience having bought a Fosters Freezer (£1300 but it was for our hotel). Less than a month out of warranty compressor went. £90 callout to be told this and £900 for a new one (haha no chance). Told by Fosters "we don't make our own compressors". Just fit sh1t ones I thought.

We no use Polar which are cheaper , quieter and probably still don't make their own compressors. Never had a problem with it!

Iceland - I have two fridge freezers, two freezers and a fridge bought from them. All 15-20 years old and still fine.

Something secondhand like this would be a bargain and would be perfect for any body, and only about £500 a year to run.

500 quid a year to run! A typical f/f should only cost around 40-50 quid a year to run..

500 quid a year to run! A typical f/f should only cost around 40-50 quid a year to run..

did you click the link, it was a humorous suggestion, I actually think its abut £350 pa, but couldn't be bothered to be accurate :)

Believe me there is no gauarantee in paying more and expecting value and reliability. I speak from experience having bought a Fosters Freezer (£1300 but it was for our hotel). Less than a month out of warranty compressor went. £90 callout to be told this and £900 for a new one (haha no chance). Told by Fosters "we don't make our own compressors". Just fit sh1t ones I thought.

We no use Polar which are cheaper , quieter and probably still don't make their own compressors. Never had a problem with it!

Until you deal with people, day in day out, with people who have suffered major issues with their cheapo appliance...less so with the mid range or upper tier brands...

Another vote for AO.com here.

Freezer packed in saturday afternoon, ordered another saturday evening, delivered at 7am on Sunday. That's why the high street's dying.

Another vote for AO.com here.

Freezer packed in saturday afternoon, ordered another saturday evening, delivered at 7am on Sunday. That's why the high street's dying.

There is a very significant number of people who want to look at what they are buying, before they buy it...The high st are canny, whereby the manufacturer will only make a specific model for them, and you can't get it elsewhere...

There is a very significant number of people who want to look at what they are buying, before they buy it...The high st are canny, whereby the manufacturer will only make a specific model for them, and you can't get it elsewhere...

Example?

The high street is nothing more than a showroom these days. Browse in the shop, order online. What amazes me is that the likes of Currys don't keep stock and you're still looking at at least a week for delivery. Completely defies the point of the high street. They'd be better off putting a showroom on the front of their distribution centres.

Example?

The high street is nothing more than a showroom these days. Browse in the shop, order online. What amazes me is that the likes of Currys don't keep stock and you're still looking at at least a week for delivery. Completely defies the point of the high street. They'd be better off putting a showroom on the front of their distribution centres.

I still know numerous people in the trade, as it were...People also like going back to a shop, when things go wrong, and not to a talking head in a call centre.. and things go wrong quite frequently, because the bad stuff uses cheap components, and is lucky to last 2 or 3 years.. Buying cheap is a false economy...

We had problems with our old coffee machine and Currys were a disaster at dealing with it.

When we bought our TV a few years back we reserved it in Currys and the coffee machine had started to leak again, so we took that with us.

Because they were so obstructive about resolving the issue, I just quietly forgot about the reservation.

Then we went about 300m and bought the identical one in Comet.

Then it went bust.