House Price Crash Forum

The Dentist...

SarahBell

HOLA441

One of my biggest regrets in life is that my mother saw that we visited the dentist every six months.....mine and my siblings teeth must have made the dodgy dentists a fortune over the years......caused us all very many problems we needn't have had, a mouth full of alamgam, re filling, walls of tooth collapse...crown required.......they must have got kids to open their mouths and totted up how much money was to be made....beware.....dentists have VIs.

+1

My children (eldest is a teenager now) have a fairly good diet but do consume sweets and chocolates, sugar (not excessively) and none of them have fillings. By the same age I had a virtually ever molar and premolar filled. The major difference in diet is that our children very very rarely have fizzy drinks and also they have mainly used electric toothbrushes.

I too believe I had tons of unnecessary work done by criminal dentists. The fillings only stopped when there were no more unfilled teeth. Since the age of about 14 I have had virtually zero additional work apart from 2 extractions that were the result of the butchery I underwent at the hands of my childhood dentists.

No dentist will ever fill my children's teeth without me getting a second and if neccessary, third opinion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I haven't been for years - probably because there's nothing wrong with my teeth. People who do go tell me that dentists are Polish now.

Then you probably have a significant plaque build up along the margins of the teeth and gums, which either has or will lead to gum disease and receding gums and ultimately tooth loss.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I haven't been to a dentist for twenty-something years. No problems with toothache or anything, but my teeth are starting to look a bit minging and I guess it would be wise to get a check up. What are the sales tactics to look out for? Is it worth trying to get NHS treatment, or is it as well to pay for private? Dentist or hygienist ?

HOLA446

Checkups are not free in England. We have to pay for them so that Scottish people can get them free.

Blame Wee Jimmy Krankie Sturgeon - no me Pal !!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

My dentist is marvelous..the previous one was struck off, but he was good too.

I have the hygienist, yes, its was hell the first time, but my teeth always feel polished till the next visit, helped with my bluetooth toothbrush and wall clock.

HOLA4410

My children (eldest is a teenager now) have a fairly good diet but do consume sweets and chocolates, sugar (not excessively) and none of them have fillings. By the same age I had a virtually ever molar and premolar filled. The major difference in diet is that our children very very rarely have fizzy drinks and also they have mainly used electric toothbrushes.

Fluoride?

I too believe I had tons of unnecessary work done by criminal dentists. The fillings only stopped when there were no more unfilled teeth. Since the age of about 14 I have had virtually zero additional work apart from 2 extractions that were the result of the butchery I underwent at the hands of my childhood dentists.

No dentist will ever fill my children's teeth without me getting a second and if neccessary, third opinion.

I've got big amalgam fillings from about 40 years ago which have been a bit troublesome over the years. I reckon that part of the reason that young people's teeth seem to be in better shape these days is just that dental techniques and materials have improved. Things were still pretty primitive when I was a child: for one thing, I remember having an extraction (I think, although conceivably it was some fillings) under general anaesthetic. I think they stopped that because the death rate was too high!

HOLA4411

Fluoride?

I've got big amalgam fillings from about 40 years ago which have been a bit troublesome over the years. I reckon that part of the reason that young people's teeth seem to be in better shape these days is just that dental techniques and materials have improved. Things were still pretty primitive when I was a child: for one thing, I remember having an extraction (I think, although conceivably it was some fillings) under general anaesthetic. I think they stopped that because the death rate was too high!

You think that's primitive? As a child I had fillings without any anaesthetic whatsoever, the dentist would just drill against the nerve using the old style belt driven contraption they used before they got high speed drills. When they started to offer general anaesthetic, when I was in my teens/twenties, I wouldn't even open my mouth if I was awake. Yes there was a risk, but it was one that I was more than happy to take.

HOLA4412

I need to go really but by nearest dentist is a tw@t and need to find a new one. A filling (which never felt right) fell out and I've patched it up with one of those kits - doing it felt like I was the Terminator in his hotel room.

HOLA4413

I need to go really but by nearest dentist is a tw@t and need to find a new one. A filling (which never felt right) fell out and I've patched it up with one of those kits - doing it felt like I was the Terminator in his hotel room.

I had a gold crown that had a hole worn in it and kept falling off. For years I used to glue it back on with Plastic Padding Chemical metal, it would stay on for up to a year before it needed gluing again. In the end, I got a dentist to make me a new one. Bad decision, he really messed up my bite and that side of my mouth has never been the same since.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

My dentist gives me a mirror and shows me where the fillings need to go before going any further.

He's brilliant.

Hardeep Safri, Alton Dental, Hampshire.

HOLA4419

No dentist visit for more than 30 years. Teeth have no pain and look decent due to buying quality toothpaste and electric toothbrush for last 20 years. Only the wisdom teeth are a bit stained from being impacted for about five years. Up until 3 years ago, I was still cracking nuts open with my teeth rather than nutcrackers but since I chipped a tooth one Boxing Day I've become a bit more circumspect.

Mum got a mouthful of fillings before she left school so refused to let dentist near me. Still my grandmother had all of her taken out and replaced with false ones for her 16th birthday as was the fashion at the time. I will only consider visiting a dentist in emergencies or they shift the economic model so they are incentivised not to do work.

HOLA4420

I had a root canal this year. 3 hours in the chair.

Awesome dentist who was a real professional who took pride in his task. Minimal pain, lots of explanations of what he was doing. Sexy hot assistant in a tight uniform as well.

Almost made it a nice experience.

HOLA4421

Don't think I've seen a British dentist since I was a kid, maybe teenager.

Sometimes see an oral hygienist when I'm on holiday for a quick clean up but that's about it. Never needed more than that.

HOLA4422

Sexy hot assistant in a tight uniform as well.

Almost made it a nice experience.

What was his name ? And is your dentist sponsored by Eurovision ?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

No. Flouride has been an ingredient in toothpaste for over 50 years.

I even had my teeth treated with flouride when I was in infant school. Didn't stop the butcher dentist though.

In the past I had a lot of problems with bleeding gums (top & lower) and gradually lost all my top teeth apart from four at the front. Still got all my lower teeth apart from two at the back.

I had quite a lot of fillings when I was younger and as previous posters have mentioned I suspect most of them were not necessary.

Since changing to fluoride free toothpaste about 8 years ago I haven't had any problems at all. No bleeding gums at all, no pain, no sensitive teeth and no fillings or extractions required.

HOLA4425

Archived