House Price Crash Forum

Bbc To Close Recipes Website - I Say "good Riddance" - Aibu?

DeepLurker

HOLA441

As per title - the BBC Food website is to close:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36308976

I've already seen 2 "Facebook friends" crying over this - there's even a change.org petition been launched to stop this calamity.

My reaction is that "recipes" has f&ck all to do with the BBC charter - and good recipe books can be bought for literally pennies in book fairs, so it's not like "the poor will not be fed" or anything similar.

The licence fee would be better spent on news, nature programmes, and cbeebies - stuff that the private sector struggles to match.

AIBU to think like this?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

The BBC really doesnt have to spend money on any project that the Public sector can do. That includes everything the BBC does actually.

Not needed at all.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Can't disagree with your arguments per se, but as I pay the license fee and are keen on cooking I think I could save £15m elsewhere easily. Eastenders alone must be vastly more than that for a start (that they surely don't profit from even on the Worldwide rights).

HOLA448
HOLA449

Plenty of indisputable crap that should be binned before this. Washington Monument Syndrome imo.

Is that the US version of offering up the Red Arrows or the Royal Yacht as cost savings measures - in the full expectation the politicians will avoid cutting these sacred cows and everything else offered up in the same package? Someone was a bit miffed, I suspect, when the politicos actually *did* take the Royal Yacht option pack!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I can't help thinking it's a political thing. The content has already been paid for, authored, formatted up and loaded onto a web server. It doesn't cost much to service a page request and the fundamentals of making a Yorkshire pudding don't change much from year to year. I'm not a great fan of the BBC but this sort of resource is genuinely useful. It bears recycling better than Some Mothers Do 'ave 'em. But it's being dropped due to money, yes money, because there isn't enough money to pay for it. Money. Hmm.

Edit: thanks TKWSN for citing Washington Monument Syndrome. I had it in mind but couldn't remember the name. :)

HOLA4412

Plenty of indisputable crap that should be binned before this. Washington Monument Syndrome imo.

I agree. I wish there was some kind of 'sense' ombudsman who could audit any savings plans by any public body and say things like 'forget the website - reduce the pension' or whatever.

Anyway, I can't see how they get the numbers. That sort of website more-or-less runs itself, with a bit of webmin and hosting charges.

HOLA4413

They have cookery shows from which they will be publishing recipes for the foreseeable future, but now only for 30 days.

Apparently, not maintaining an archive of these is essential to saving them 15 million quid (never mind the Lineker and Evans etc. salaries)

Utter bullsh!t. They will be saving zero pounds.

More likely they are contemplating ways of monetising the archive.

HOLA4414

I agree this is bad news. It's about the only reliable and honest part of the BBC. Do I need to print out all my stored recipes?

On the plus side, for those that will miss the BBC site, I have recently switched to Yummly.co.uk which does the job in a much better way. Perhaps the BBC should just let yummly have all their archive material?

edit to add link.

HOLA4415

Is that the US version of offering up the Red Arrows or the Royal Yacht as cost savings measures - in the full expectation the politicians will avoid cutting these sacred cows and everything else offered up in the same package? Someone was a bit miffed, I suspect, when the politicos actually *did* take the Royal Yacht option pack!

Indeed!

As noted by others, seems a bit daft to delete a simple archive what useful bits have come from previous shows.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I agree this is bad news. It's about the only reliable and honest part of the BBC. Do I need to print out all my stored recipes?

On the plus side, for those that will miss the BBC site, I have recently switched to Yummly.co.uk which does the job in a much better way. Perhaps the BBC should just let yummly have all their archive material?

edit to add link.

At first glance, that seems to be full of flashy, trendy web technology and Pinterest style copying. Yuck (not Yum). The bbc site is pleasantly rudimentary - which I like (I'm old school - I was there, man, when the web was invented).

In fact, I'm really old school - as, once I've[1] found a recipe I like and once I've tweaked it to make it the acme of recipes, it gets written into the Family Recipe Book[2] - in handwriting, and often with a fountain pen.

[1] "I" usually translates as "Mrs JTB" - but, with my newfound leisure time, that is changing!

[2] Not as grand as it sounds. An old hardback A4 lab book from university days.

HOLA4419

As per title - the BBC Food website is to close:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36308976

I've already seen 2 "Facebook friends" crying over this - there's even a change.org petition been launched to stop this calamity.

My reaction is that "recipes" has f&ck all to do with the BBC charter - and good recipe books can be bought for literally pennies in book fairs, so it's not like "the poor will not be fed" or anything similar.

The licence fee would be better spent on news, nature programmes, and cbeebies - stuff that the private sector struggles to match.

AIBU to think like this?

Signed :lol:

HOLA4420

At first glance, that seems to be full of flashy, trendy web technology and Pinterest style copying. Yuck (not Yum). The bbc site is pleasantly rudimentary - which I like (I'm old school - I was there, man, when the web was invented).

In fact, I'm really old school - as, once I've[1] found a recipe I like and once I've tweaked it to make it the acme of recipes, it gets written into the Family Recipe Book[2] - in handwriting, and often with a fountain pen.

[1] "I" usually translates as "Mrs JTB" - but, with my newfound leisure time, that is changing!

[2] Not as grand as it sounds. An old hardback A4 lab book from university days.

To an extent you are correct - it is an amalgamation of recipes from across the web.

Just looked at it on my laptop and I would acknowledge it is not very tidy. Absolutely brilliant on my kindle fire though (which is what I now use as my cookbook)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

BBC Licence fee had already paid for this content. They have no right to remove what people have already paid for.

Sure, they can stop making any more content, but what is already made should remain available as it has already been fully paid for.

HOLA4423

Indeed!

As noted by others, seems a bit daft to delete a simple archive what useful bits have come from previous shows.

They are not going ti delete it. Its far more stupid than that - the pages will apparently stay, but all links to them will be removed! Doesn't google work on how many pages link to a page? If so then google won't find it anymore, despite the fact it exists!

HOLA4424

They are not going ti delete it. Its far more stupid than that - the pages will apparently stay, but all links to them will be removed! Doesn't google work on how many pages link to a page? If so then google won't find it anymore, despite the fact it exists!

The BBC article says "The archived recipes won't be linked or optimised so will be hard to find online."

HOLA4425

Well if they are searchable within the BBC website I don't really care, but it seems a little strange to actively go to the effort of removing links? Does sound like there are political motivations behind them announcing this...

YABU to use the term AIBU

Totally, this ain't mumsnet.

I'll be sorry to see it go, it's incredibly useful. I don't see how it can possibly cost £15m a year to run. I wonder if they would consider privatisation and sell it to me for a quid.

If the content already exists, it does seem an exorbitant figure for running costs. I also had the thought about buying it off them, incidentally. :D

Release all on a recipiwiki.

Another excellent idea!

Archived