House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Broadband Crisis = Unsalable Houses?

I am attempting to move at the moment... the conversation just went something like this:

BT: You can get 2.5-5.00 mbps download

Me: Is that a guarantee?

BT: No we don't guarantee any broadband atall

Me: How do I make sure I can get broadband
BT: You get a line put in

Me: I can't do that because I don't own the property

BT: Tough luck

What can I do to test speed accurately before I move in? ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

With the last property I looked at, BT said I could get around 2.5mbps download - engineer turned up (before I looked at the house) and there was nothing there - not even a signal! So I am being careful - I work remotely much of the time as I currently work in Cybersecurity! No broadband = no money = no house!

I started looking in a few other rural areas - very slow broadband - no guarantees... who on earth is buying houses with no guaranteed broadband? Surely this will really start hitting rural houses prices as the UK's broadband infrastructures is so poor in rural areas? Thoughts please.

PS. Owner is open to offer 20% below asking. which says a great deal about the market... that said, house is worthless to me without broadband.

Edited by gruffydd

A start would be to know how far your intended property is from the nearest BT exchange. The closer the better (speedwise).

Edited by Errol

When I was looking at deep-rural places, I ended up searching for satellite broadband. Never bothered in the end as we had a mobile signal so just used a Three mifi thing.

BT customer services are awful.

If the property has a land line and you can get hold of the number, you can use this online tool which is pretty reliable: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

As for who is buying rural properties without guaranteed broadband, retirees I'd imagine who don't need/want it.

With the advances in mobile data coverage and speeds (5G on the horizon) it will eventually become a moot point anyway.

Edited by EssKay

I had the same issue when we bought our house. It about 3.5 miles from the exchange, so that means no ADSL - well actually we could get a very unstable 0.25mbps

adsl_line_length.gif

Luckily I had been doing my research prior to buying and found that the fibre optic line and box had been installed and activated. By the time we moved in fibre was available and we now get 25mb/s.

The only issue was having to wait about a month for a connection to become available in the box as the box was full to capacity / sold out after a day.

BT customer services are awful.

If the property has a land line and you can get hold of the number, you can use this online tool which is pretty reliable: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

As for who is buying rural properties without guaranteed broadband, retirees I'd imagine who don't need/want it.

With the advances in mobile data coverage and speeds (5G on the horizon) it will eventually become a moot point anyway.

I hope mobile does win out due to ailing infrastructure in rural areas - I tried dlschecker on another property - 2.5 - engineer unable to find any signal again = no broadband - wireless not available or satellite in that location either (a lucky escape)

I thought things had improved a lot since this kind of thing. I was even consulted about it at one point. But your frustration looks all too familiar.

What certainly has changed is satellite broadband. It's still more expensive than most of us pay, but it's no longer prohibitive. You could make that your fallback.

I thought things had improved a lot since this kind of thing. I was even consulted about it at one point. But your frustration looks all too familiar.

What certainly has changed is satellite broadband. It's still more expensive than most of us pay, but it's no longer prohibitive. You could make that your fallback.

It hasn't changed in many areas - rural Wales: very bad indeed - rural Northern Ireland (or Ireland generally): off the scale awful with loads of wireless! Rural Scotland: Nae bad - they've got their act together. Rural England: It depends.

My issue with Satellite (having never used it) is the latency... have no idea what 0.8 secs latency feels like - will also whack VoIP and gaming too (not essential to me but hey!)

In rural Wales the very bright guys in charge - in the Assembly - decided to subsidize wireless with huge amounts of European funding, which took the heat off BT Openreach... oh boy... wireless... what a magnificent solution... what planet do they live on?

Edited by gruffydd

Chuck the postcode in here, it should tell you what all the potential neighbours are getting and should be a good indicator of what is likely to be installed.

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area_v2.aspx

Umm, not working at the moment, should be others.

Here's one that has some data but nowhere near as much as the one above used to iirc.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/

Edited by onlyme2

It hasn't changed in many areas - rural Wales: very bad indeed - rural Northern Ireland (or Ireland generally): off this scale awful! Rural Scotland: Nae bad - they've got their act together. Rural England: It depends.

Erm ... I meant improved in terms of being able to find out whether it's available at an address.

Also in coverage, but I didn't think that was your core gripe!

Would it be an option to ask the present owner to get it installed so you can verify it? If it's the last hurdle before you have a deal, that would seem the ideal solution. Offer a few quid in advance as "good faith".

Rather sad when something that didn't even exist until pretty recently is now viewed as so important, terrible without it etc. The only grumble I've got is being given too wide an estimate for going off ADSL, from a mere 12 mbps (I get 7 on the ADSL) to 33. 12 isn't worth paying more for, 33 would be, but there's no way of telling without going ahead and being stuck with it. It's about a mile back to the box so 12 is probably them being over-cautious but it's a bit offputting.

Ask a neighbour and see what they get. You'd want to speak with them anyway (as they'd be your neighbours, after all).

Citrix/VNC suffers somewhat with latency over satellite. Ok over 4G.

Erm ... I meant improved in terms of being able to find out whether it's available at an address.

Also in coverage, but I didn't think that was your core gripe!

Would it be an option to ask the present owner to get it installed so you can verify it? If it's the last hurdle before you have a deal, that would seem the ideal solution. Offer a few quid in advance as "good faith".

Ah sorry - yes, it's not easy - no guarantees on offer (heaven knows what builders do with newbuilds) - lots of gripes - I'm a techie and travel alot, so see what's going on elsewhere and then compare with back home! That's a good idea porca - will see if that's an option.

Rather sad when something that didn't even exist until pretty recently is now viewed as so important, terrible without it etc. The only grumble I've got is being given too wide an estimate for going off ADSL, from a mere 12 mbps (I get 7 on the ADSL) to 33. 12 isn't worth paying more for, 33 would be, but there's no way of telling without going ahead and being stuck with it. It's about a mile back to the box so 12 is probably them being over-cautious but it's a bit offputting.

I guess because so many of us work remotely these days... I spend 90% of my working life at home, working remotely.

Chuck the postcode in here, it should tell you what all the potential neighbours are getting and should be a good indicator of what is likely to be installed.

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area_v2.aspx

Umm, not working at the moment, should be others.

Here's one that has some data but nowhere near as much as the one above used to iirc.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/

Thanks - that's useful - incredible swings in speed in the place I'm looking in!

If we were such a forward planning, thinking and wealthy country why would we still have large swaths of this small county without any transport infrastructure whatsoever, where places there is a train a bus or a plane is much to be desired little investment for years.....where there is no mobile phone service whatsoever and broadband is intermittent and unstable......when large parts of even poorer andlow density Europe can offer so much more. ;)

Why the hell is this even needed... government failure... all our politicians had to do was enforce minimum delivery coverage and speeds - instead we get this! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/08/hundreds-of-councils-back-telegraph-campaign-for-better-broadban/

"A Government consultation document says it is likely that many people in such areas would not want to be connected and that extending it to them would not represent value for money." - um... it's not their money... they should be enforcing provision via BT, with fines if needed.

Edited by gruffydd

If we were such a forward planning, thinking and wealthy country why would we still have large swaths of this small county without any transport infrastructure whatsoever, where places there is a train a bus or a plane is much to be desired little investment for years.....where there is no mobile phone service whatsoever and broadband is intermittent and unstable......when large parts of even poorer andlow density Europe can offer so much more. ;)

The government shouldn't be subsidising rural broadband, rural transport, etc, etc.

The government shouldn't be subsidising rural broadband, rural transport, etc, etc.

Indeed - they should simply enforce delivery/coverage from a highly profitable monopoly - something they're failing to do.

Edited by gruffydd

They should if they plan to make government 'digital' which is what politicians and bureaucrats like to drone on about endlessly. What is the point in mandating that all communications with government are via the internet if a significant chunk of the population can't get decent access to it.Presumably they will soon be sending fines to people for failing to submit their tax returns via their non existent broadband connection. Moreover, this sh*t does not impact people just living in the wilds of Wales. I know some parts of Surrey that struggle to get proper broadband or mobile coverage.

Edited by stormymonday_2011