House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Mumsnet - What A Load Of Rubbish

I was going to post this another thread but decided to hoik it out.

I have been on mumsnet and occasionally read it. I find it rubbish for two reasons:

The forum software: here you have quotes, lengthy posts, picture and video embedding. Things can be discussed intelligently at length (I said can be, not always are!) and points illustrated. On mumsnet you don't get this it's mainly short posts and when points are raised there is no following debate; things are just left hanging.

The high volume of idiot posters: most football forums are also like this; and they're nearly all men. On mumsnet you have a decent number of interesting intelligent posters but those are drowned out by the shouty morons; you get the impression that the people aren't even reading the lengthier thoughtful posts. Instead it's one line posts, unjustified mad statements such as LTB, and looking to pick a (verbal) fight. There are also "bookmarking" posts which serve no value to anybody but the poster.

HPC has the optimum number of active posters IMO, threads don't get swamped such that you give up wading through the detritus to get to the posts worth reading. I'm also on a low user fottball forum which can be like tumbleweed; it's less than twenty well-informed posters who generally agree with each other.

Is there a better women's forum to go on for a read? One that has the intelligent posters of mumsnet but bans the halfwits; it reminds me of "Loose Women" when I read it and most women I know think that's an awful show.

I have made a certain part of the post bigger for any roaming mumsnetter of the shouty moron persuasion looking for a fight as they probably wouldn't read it otherwise.

Is there a better women's forum to go on for a read? One that has the intelligent posters of mumsnet but bans the halfwits; it reminds me of "Loose Women" when I read it and most women I know think that's an awful show.

Probably not.

We don't all sit round chatting about DH, DS, etc.

I suspect Mumsnet is merely a means for a lot of women to voice their opinion and that is it. Rather than the threads being a discussion they are just loads of individual posts.

It is a bit like listening to a group of women having a conversation about something but most are not listening to the other women. They are just sprouting their guff.

LTB?

My DP forgot to record Eastenders for me last night, what should I do?

You should LTB!

I suspect Mumsnet is merely a means for a lot of women to voice their opinion and that is it. Rather than the threads being a discussion they are just loads of individual posts.

It is a bit like listening to a group of women having a conversation about something but most are not listening to the other women. They are just sprouting their guff.

There is a lot of this indeed.

I have been on mumsnet and occasionally read it. I find it rubbish for two reasons:

The forum software: here you have quotes, lengthy posts, picture and video embedding. Things can be discussed intelligently at length (I said can be, not always are!) and points illustrated. On mumsnet you don't get this it's mainly short posts and when points are raised there is no following debate; things are just left hanging.

The high volume of idiot posters: most football forums are also like this; and they're nearly all men. On mumsnet you have a decent number of interesting intelligent posters but those are drowned out by the shouty morons; you get the impression that the people aren't even reading the lengthier thoughtful posts. Instead it's one line posts, unjustified mad statements such as LTB, and looking to pick a (verbal) fight. There are also "bookmarking" posts which serve no value to anybody but the poster.

It is unambiguously aimed at women with children. As a man with no children why would you expect it to appeal?

It is unambiguously aimed at women with children. As a man with no children why would you expect it to appeal?

I don't expect it to "appeal", it represents a different viewpoint which should be interesting but isn't because of the nature of the forum. TMT's post about a lot of people not listening to each other summed it up well.

A lot depends on which bits you read. I only started looking at it recently because of a daughter's 2nd pregnancy rather soon after the first, small age gap, and a bit of a scare she had recently. There was some very helpful and reassuring advice, no nutters, on those threads.

Mind you the AIBU can be good for a laugh now and then. Did anyone see the recent post from someone who'd given a friend (not close) £100 for a wedding present, only to have the person express disappointment and ask whether she'd like to make an adjustment? That one made it into the MSM.

A lot depends on which bits you read. I only started looking at it recently because of a daughter's 2nd pregnancy rather soon after the first, small age gap, and a bit of a scare she had recently. There was some very helpful and reassuring advice, no nutters, on those threads.

Mind you the AIBU can be good for a laugh now and then. Did anyone see the recent post from someone who'd given a friend (not close) £100 for a wedding present, only to have the person express disappointment and ask whether she'd like to make an adjustment? That one made it into the MSM.

That one struck a nerve as I gave the same amount as a wedding present and haven't had much contact from the couple since. Maybe they think I'm a tight git?

The ease of access to the internet has flooded most forums with morons. When it was hard to use a computer and dial up was common, the internet was brilliant for both finding girls and finding interesting things to read. Self filtered all the morons out. I have always said that early internet represents how good society could be without them.

That one struck a nerve as I gave the same amount as a wedding present and haven't had much contact from the couple since. Maybe they think I'm a tight git?

I recently had a thank you note for (I think) 200 Euros that we gave at an Irish wedding last May! Better late than never...

OTOH I read on that same wedding-present thread on Mumsnet that apparently there's a set amount for Irish weddings - so much for a couple, so much for a family - to cover your 'plates' - and I think we fell just a wee bit short. Oh dear.

Last two family weddings we were at, both invitations said 'No presents, just presence' or WTTE.