House Price Crash Forum

Delusion Confusion Ignorance Denial

My wife was chatting to a 40 something lady at work who knows we're priced out and angry.

She was concerned about our situation (as much as anyone with two houses can be) and helpfully suggested we look at a different post code where nice houses start at about £400k.

Yep four hundred thousand smackers. Now should we use our £250k deposit for that or a 10x salary mortgage (which would cost 85% of take-home to repay!)

Many/most homeowners are completely snowblind to the absolute level of house prices. To much of the adult population £250k is a "cheap" house and the idea of paying 5 figures for a house would be completely ludicrous.

All for the price of a tulip: history's craziest asset price bubbles

Investors have been rushing into asset price bubbles, and suffering the inevitable consequences, for centuries. Each time the claim has been that “this time it’s different”, that normal rules of markets and mathematics don’t apply - something to bear in mind the next time someone claims the house prices in their area can't go into reverse.

Yup, come to yorkshire, you can be told in the same conversation that 250k is cheap for a house but complain about the price of everything else. Even although you can buy a pair of jeans now for 4 quid or a 50 inch tele for 250 quid.

My wife was chatting to a 40 something lady at work who knows we're priced out and angry.

She was concerned about our situation (as much as anyone with two houses can be) and helpfully suggested we look at a different post code where nice houses start at about £400k.

Yep four hundred thousand smackers. Now should we use our £250k deposit for that or a 10x salary mortgage (which would cost 85% of take-home to repay!)

I basically got the same reply from our local mP

Yup, come to yorkshire, you can be told in the same conversation that 250k is cheap for a house but complain about the price of everything else. Even although you can buy a pair of jeans now for 4 quid or a 50 inch tele for 250 quid.

Pretty much the same down south. My dad doesn't stop moaning about the price of every little thing but I should borrow £400- odd-k ( not that I could but he won't believe me) to buy a starter home?! :wacko:

Edited by renting til I die

Pretty much the same down south. My dad doesn't stop moaning about the price of every little thing but I should borrow £400- odd-k ( not that I could but he won't believe me) to buy a starter home?! :wacko:

Maybe these homes are supposed to start a long bout of depression? Or maybe a lifetime of debt servitude?

Its that thing humans do, try to persuade everyone else into debt because they know they ******ed up.

In real terms stuff really has never been cheaper, Houses are completely and utterly out of proportion to everything else and somehow only the "nuts" :) on here actually see it. Meanwhile I get lectures off people who dont earn half what I do in mortgage debt x10 lecturing me on how i ******ed up and how i need to be a part of it.

Sometimes I worry I might be insane and the people on here are enablers :)

Its that thing humans do, try to persuade everyone else into debt because they know they ******ed up.

In real terms stuff really has never been cheaper, Houses are completely and utterly out of proportion to everything else and somehow only the "nuts" :) on here actually see it. Meanwhile I get lectures off people who dont earn half what I do in mortgage debt x10 lecturing me on how i ******ed up and how i need to be a part of it.

Sometimes I worry I might be insane and the people on here are enablers :)

Just enjoy your way of thinking .... whether you're same or not. I love cycling & movies, hate TV and popular culture ... people think I'm insane ....

Just enjoy your way of thinking .... whether you're same or not. I love cycling & movies, hate TV and popular culture ... people think I'm insane ....

Haha

I dont watch tv, disconnected it all I only watch online stuff now. Im enjoying watching the BBC die as its viewership of over 60s die off. Thats why they want to end free license for the over 75s as thats half there viewers. To pay to have state sponsored propaganda pumped into your house seems insane to me and if you dont pay you go to jail!

I cycle everywhere, I discovered cycling is the most dangerous martial art because I end up in more brawls cycling that I would in ju jistu. For some reason everyone having a bad day wants to fight me on a bike. I dont think I am a bad cyclist, I have a drivers license and my driving is good and if anything I am more cautious on a bike. Again is everyone insane? I suspect so but I will go down swinging if thats the case.

as for popular culture.. Dressing like everyone else no matter how impractical or ridiculous seems nuts,Tight jeans? spending a saturday night watching dancing dogs on tele, Jesus the last thing I seen on tele was google box where you watch thick people watch tele FFS

I am probably insane but not so insane as to spunk 30 years of my life into a shit terraced house in some dying northern town while i spend my life in an office doing as I am told. Nah at least I will see you all in the asylum playing nuts like the chief for some rent free acoomodation:)

....people in a scheme wish to attract new investors at any cost to that new investor ...to help protect their own investment ...her view is purely VI...beware..... :rolleyes:

I am probably insane but not so insane as to spunk 30 years of my life into a shit terraced house in some dying northern town while i spend my life in an office doing as I am told. Nah at least I will see you all in the asylum playing nuts like the chief for some rent free acoomodation:)

Google returns the definition of insane as

"in a state of mind which prevents normal perception, behaviour, or social interaction; "

Since you fail to follow the normal perception of house prices, display anti-house-buying behaviour and have joined the rest of us in the HPC-asylum for your social interaction, I must therefore conclude you are indeed insane.

Try this quiz to see if you are simply atypical rather than a dribbling loon.

http://psychcentral.com/cgi-bin/autismquiz.cgi

I suspect most HPC members and most of the people that work for me would score highly. I got 34. It takes a certain sort of person to spend a lot of time on this site, maybe I should start a thread on it.

But first, the fairies are coming to take me back to my padded cell and I have to work on my plan for world domination by lunchtime.