House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Maursh

Anyone Else Think Cameron Is Secretly Pro-Brexit

I live overseas so only see the news coverage from the newspapers and it is somewhat limited. I am a little surprised by the actions of the Remain camp particularly in respect to DC wheeling out Global leaders and officials to tell the British public that they should stay in the EU. Now, I am no politician, but I have a conspiracy theory that Cameron is secretly in favour of Brexit:

Why do I think this, because he has:

- Invited Barack Obama over to say we should stay in. I cannot think of anything worse that would make the British public do the opposite.

- IMF statement on Friday about falling house prices in the event of Brexit. This is better for MOST people in Britain with the exception of the minority BTL lobby (who would want to Remain anyway for a bigger pool to rent out to). The polls indicate that demographically young people would like to remain in Europe whereas older people would like to leave. I cannot think of a single better strategy of getting young people to vote Brexit other than telling them they might actually stand a chance of owning their own home.

- Spent £9mln on a really poor Remain strategy leaflet

As I said, I am not a politician and do not understand these nuances, but it strikes me that DC might actually be in favour of Brexit but cannot let his public persona acknowledge this. Instead he gets his unanchored buddy BoJo to do it for him!

I live overseas

Are you by any chance one of those Brits abroad, who were promised a vote in the tories' 2015 manifesto, but are now being denied it?

On the assumption that two-point-something million Brits in the EU value their own freedom to be where they are and would prefer not to risk it, that's a pretty huge gerrymandering of the electorate[1].

[1] There's a dubious figure in the above. Judging by the crap being spouted by the official campaigns on both sides, I think that must be compulsory.

- Invited Barack Obama over to say we should stay in. I cannot think of anything worse that would make the British public do the opposite.

Really?

I don't get any impression at all that Barack is unpopular here in the UK - quite the reverse.

Having said that, I don't think his input will have any impact on people's views.

Really?

I don't get any impression at all that Barack is unpopular here in the UK - quite the reverse.

Having said that, I don't think his input will have any impact on people's views.

He is one of only two Nobel Peace Prize winners that have bombed another recipient.

The main issue with it though is that he's the president of a country that went to war because the people didn't want to be ruled by an overseas power telling us that we should vote to keep being ruled by an overseas power. It's a bit rich isn't it? Besides, anyone who knows about TTIP is going to be rather suspicious of his motivation.

Talkin' of which, has anyone noticed the other interesting little thing?

The "out" campaign - Gove, Boris, et al - seem very keen to insist Cameron continues as prime minister for their exit. Much keener than Cameron himself.

They're desperate to have a scapegoat in place rather than take their own blame.

The "out" campaign - Gove, Boris, et al - seem very keen to insist Cameron continues as prime minister for their exit. Much keener than Cameron himself.

They're desperate to have a scapegoat in place rather than take their own blame.

Isn't that just covering their rears whatever happens?

i.e. "We took a personal stance on BREXIT and backed it because we thought it was the right thing to do - it was never personal Dave, we supported you regardless"

I'd imagine the day after a vote to exit, they would soon change their tune

Edited by EssKay

It's certainly crossed my mind that such a negative campaign might actually be deliberate, but I think it equally likely that Cameron is to the referendum what P118 are to Clause 24 - unwitting yet surprisingly effective campaigners for the other side.

It's what you would expect them to say. Party unity and all that from differing sides of the argument.

When all this is over they will in some sense or fashion still have to work together.......

As for the gerry mandering of the vote, the High Court made that decision not the politico's

As for the gerry mandering of the vote, the High Court made that decision not the politico's

No, that was Cameron himself.

The high court merely refused a challenge that would've forced(?) him to honour the election promise.

Conversely, I wonder if Boris is a sleeper agent with his recent nod to Godwin's law. Or do people still fall for that?

:lol::lol:

In Boris's case, it looks more like the gamble of an ambitious man. Win the gamble and become Prime Minister of a country in serious crisis: a Boys Own dream. Or lose it and perhaps retire from politics to be a full-time media personality with a few directorships thrown in.

But lose it deliberately? You really think he lacks ambition?

[edit to add] As for the Hitler reference ... he's been watching what happens when Trump says mexicans are thieves and rapists, etc.

Edited by porca misèria

Every time someone opens there mouth on tv about staying in EU the more likely to vote to leave.

Esp , Mark carnage and the the IMF women

I have thought the same but to be honest the jury is out

Firstly many have said project fear cost the stay campaign a 20 point lead in the Scottish referendum including Nicola Sturgeon who`s backing the remainians camp in the EU referendum ,Dave &co has either dismissed this information as inaccurate (is it? many have said it but is there a way of proving it) and taken the same road believing project fear is the way to go

Or as the OP said he`s trying to lose ,from my own admittedly biased point of view ,the British have never taken it well when johnny foreigner comes over here telling us what's good for us and dictating to us what we should do yet Dave has them queuing up out the door

Dave has them queuing up out the door

Blimey. So Dave pulls the strings of all the most powerful people in the world? Not just the rest of Europe (except Putin), but the USA, NATO, the IMF? Bless her, the present queen must've surpassed Victoria not only in years but also in the expanse of her empire!

Blimey. So Dave pulls the strings of all the most powerful people in the world? Not just the rest of Europe (except Putin), but the USA, NATO, the IMF? Bless her, the present queen must've surpassed Victoria not only in years but also in the expanse of her empire!

Looks that way ,if the UK leave i think it will open the door for many others to do the same ,Dave makes his it will be war speech i`m sure it was just coincidence that all the NATO leaders wrote carefully drafted statements and arranged them to be deliver on the same day

It`s a coordinated campaign when it comes to the EU ...the UK is one of only four countries out of the 28 that are net contributors there are a hell off a lot of bureaucrats that rely on our contribution for their livelihood

The risk too the UK economy if we leave the EU according to dave six months ago what's his line now 15.00mins on

Edited by long time lurking

...wheeling out Global leaders and officials to tell the British public that they should stay in the EU. Now, I am no politician, but I have a conspiracy theory that Cameron is secretly in favour of Brexit:

If he wheels out Blair, we will know for sure.

(But as for the others, although the effect isn't clear cut, I suspect it will mildly reinforce remain)

:lol::lol:

In Boris's case, it looks more like the gamble of an ambitious man. Win the gamble and become Prime Minister of a country in serious crisis: a Boys Own dream. Or lose it and perhaps retire from politics to be a full-time media personality with a few directorships thrown in.

Boris is on record last year as saying he would vote out unless there is substantial reform of the EU. (and more convincingly than camero)

I can't remember who posted about the leave campaign keeping their powder dry until the last week or two of the campaign.

I think that was right because if Vote Leave said we will follow the Norwegian model, then remainiacs will trash it through the media. The clip above has Cameron trying to second guess his adversaries followed with rehearsed demolition charges.

The danger in keeping schtumm is that the remainiacs soundbite, '...no positive plan after brexit.' may gain traction with undecided voters.

After watching Brexit - The Movie, I have the feeling that the Swiss model may be the basis for some of Vote Leave's plans after Brexit.

Actually, that was my aim with the UK after Brexit thread; to try and harness the hpc hivemind for predictions and ideas.

Boris is on record last year as saying he would vote out unless there is substantial reform of the EU. (and more convincingly than camero)

He`s always been a eurosceptic but i must admit i had my doubts

Edited by long time lurking

I can't remember who posted about the leave campaign keeping their powder dry until the last week or two of the campaign.

I think that was right because if Vote Leave said we will follow the Norwegian model, then remainiacs will trash it through the media. The clip above has Cameron trying to second guess his adversaries followed with rehearsed demolition charges.

The danger in keeping schtumm is that the remainiacs soundbite, '...no positive plan after brexit.' may gain traction with undecided voters.

After watching Brexit - The Movie, I have the feeling that the Swiss model may be the basis for some of Vote Leave's plans after Brexit.

Actually, that was my aim with the UK after Brexit thread; to try and harness the hpc hivemind for predictions and ideas.

That's the obvious route to take i also think the out campaign has a lot of support from certain sections of the media waiting in the wings ,it`s far easier to pick holes in any argument presented (whether its a positive argument or a doom and gloom one ) than to produce an argument that can`t have holes picked in it ,

Boris was sitting on the fence for a good week or so before deciding to come out in favour of Brexit. Doesn't sound like the deepest of convictions to me.

Then again Corbyn has done a u-turn on the EU to suit himself and his party's agenda, so horses for courses really.

This entire Hitler/Nazi/Godwin's Law thing is a load of hot air from the BBC anyway. Looking at the comments he also referred to Napoleon, yet I don't see that harridan Yvette Whatshername making a fuss over it as she knows it doesn't have quite the same media cachet to it. Not that it isn't true; the last person who wanted a federal Europe was Hitler. The borders of the EU Reich start in Greece and continue right through to the English Channel. And as before it's the British & the Russians who stand in the way of German hegemony.

Edited by spunko2010

Nah, Cameron loves the whole EU deal. It gives him, in no particular order:

- an excuse for why nothing can be done about so many obviously ridiculous situations (my hands are tied, it's the EU innit?)

- somewhere to send people he wants out of the way (Boris for EU commissioner at some point?)

- invites to lots of important sounding summits etc. where he can go to pretend he's a big boy now and not still a fag at Eton

- something to wind up Corbin with (I'm more EU than you are, ner, ner, na-ner ner)

And probably a load of other stuff I haven't thought of. Democracy and accountability aren't things that people like Cameron (or any other of the main party leaders) give a flying f*ck about.