House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Weird Letter From Dvla

It's addressed to someone with a Japanese name. There was someone with that name (or at least the same surname) once living here, but he had left at least a year before 1987, when we returned from Foreign Parts.

There has never been any other letter for him, from the DVLA or anyone else. The address is not quite correct, but the house number, road name, town and postcode are all correct - the only bit that isn't is a bit that's not needed anyway. So I can't think it's been misdelivered.

It says on the back, 'If undelivered do not return to sender' so I suppose I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow.

I had one from DWP a month ago, an old pension I'd forgotten about and they wanted to track me down, so they contact DWP and DWP writes to me as they don't give out addresses directly.

I wondered what they wanted to tell me (you think - oh are they going to give me money?), but as I've heard nothing since I've concluded it's pure admin to make sure that they have all current addresses. Very diligent of them.

I trust you've opened that, as it's do not return and you can't forward it to anybody. Thirty years to follow something up is pretty slow!

Haven't opened it, since it's officially an offence to open anyone else's mail. (Though have done so in the past re a daughter's flat, after it had become clear that the previous occupant who'd left no forwarding address (no wonder) had left debts all over the place - she didn't want bailiffs at the door).

Envelope just says Driver and Vehicle licensing agency. It looks like a tax reminder.

Can't help wondering whether a son or daughter of the family once living here - long grown up by now - has given this address for 'convenience'. The one inessential line that's wrong is a bit of a giveaway, or looks like that to me, anyway.

Haven't opened it, since it's officially an offence to open anyone else's mail. (Though have done so in the past re a daughter's flat, after it had become clear that the previous occupant who'd left no forwarding address (no wonder) had left debts all over the place - she didn't want bailiffs at the door).

Envelope just says Driver and Vehicle licensing agency. It looks like a tax reminder.

Can't help wondering whether a son or daughter of the family once living here - long grown up by now - has given this address for 'convenience'. The one inessential line that's wrong is a bit of a giveaway, or looks like that to me, anyway.

Who's to know?

I used to have a second vote in some Wiltshire constituency because I kept getting postal votes at one (rental) address for somebody else. This wasn't in WIltshire.

I see it as a failure of the system because had they bothered to send something to check that the person still wanted a postal vote then I wouldn't have returned it; they need to tighten up their procedures.

I've checked the DVLA website. Would like to email them about it rather than ring and probably hang on for ages until somebody answers. But all the email forms need vehicle details which I can't get without opening the letter.

Will try ringing tomorrow but if nobody answers fairly quickly I will have to reconsider. Damned if I'm going to shell out much on phone calls.

Just spoke to Mr B who is away. And he also thinks it's probably someone who's given this address for dodgy 'convenience'.

Just open it, surely the police have better things to do than find confessions of post opening on anonymous forums and tracking down the offenders.

Besides, I want to know what it is now.

Ps. I have no problem opening other people's post if they'd long since left, I view as preventative against ID fraud, so perhaps making it legal, committing a crime in order to prevent a more serious one.

I don't break the law if either:

• I agree with the law, and / or
  • There is a reasonable likelihood of being caught.

This meets neither test.

Haven't opened it, since it's officially an offence to open anyone else's mail.

Under the Postal Services Act 2000:

“A person commits an offence if he, without reasonable excuse, intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or intentionally opens a mail bag.”

“A person commits an offence if intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.”

Are you trying to help?

Accidentally opening it is another matter entirely.

I don't break the law if either:

• I agree with the law, and / or
  • There is a reasonable likelihood of being caught.

This meets neither test.

In the first case, the law is irrelevant as you wouldn't have done it anyway. So for you, like me, it's only likelihood of getting caught that is the decider!

In the first case, the law is irrelevant as you wouldn't have done it anyway. So for you, like me, it's only likelihood of getting caught that is the decider!

Yes.

Although stating it like that suggests that if I thought I could get away with bashing people on the head and robbing them then I would do it (if there was little likelihood of being caught) and that's not the case.

Yes.

Although stating it like that suggests that if I thought I could get away with bashing people on the head and robbing them then I would do it (if there was little likelihood of being caught) and that's not the case.

Have you given up being a footpad, and highwayman? :blink:

Never on a Sunday.

Of course, you are out robbing churches.

Under the Postal Services Act 2000:

“A person commits an offence if he, without reasonable excuse, intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or intentionally opens a mail bag.”

“A person commits an offence if intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.”

Are you trying to help?

Accidentally opening it is another matter entirely.

Well (irony hat on) I guess it would be to the Suzuki person's detriment - since I suspect he/she has deliberately given a false address which he/she hasn't quite remembered properly from way back. The little Suzukis who lived here back in the 80s would be well into 30s at least by now.

Will still try ringing DVLA tomorrow morning. Will have plenty of time since don't have to be back in court (I'm on jury service) till 11.30.

Off on complete tangent, neighbour who lived next door while Suzukis were here later went to visit them while in Japan on business. Apparently they had built a house virtually identical to this - and this isn't anything particularly special.

Given the length of time since the person lived at your address, couldn't it be as simple as they have never changed their driving licence details and this is a reminder that due to their age, they need to renew?

Given the length of time since the person lived at your address, couldn't it be as simple as they have never changed their driving licence details and this is a reminder that due to their age, they need to renew?

Give that poster a gold star!

Yes, that must be it.

You have no forwarding address for the Suzukis, so open the letter.

You can then make a proper decision on whether to inform DVLA or just bin it.

Something like this happened when my uncle died, a DVLA car registration document in an unknown name turned up at the empty house.

Turns out it was someone who at one time lived in the next street at the same number!

Whether it was a genuine mistake or an attempt to deceive I don't know, but being aware that he could take out a loan using his DVLA records as part of his application check, I wrote to DVLA who have an Investigation Dept. Didn't hear anything back.

I tracked the guy down later, he said it was the seller of the car who had filled the form in wrongly.

Hadn't thought of that! Yes, that could well be it. Suzuki Senior could well be 70-ish now.

Once it has been delivered to the address on it, wouldn't it's transmission by post be over?

Yeah pretty sure that opening a letter is fine once it's been delivered.

Once it has been delivered to the address on it, wouldn't it's transmission by post be over?

I expect there is much case law on this very issue, on precisely what "transmission" means.

eg, it has reached the destination address...does that mean the transmission is finished.

However, it hasnt reached the person expected at the address, so the transmission may not be complete?

Not putting it back in the post box is an interception of the transmission?

Me?...I'd bin it.