House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Mit In Need Of Toddlers For Hyperloop Testing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36292467

Apparently it's only 1/3 to 1/2 of of the actual size. Not big enough for someone like the reporter or according to researchers a full size person. So I am curious as to why they included the seat in the scale model. I am quite sure a train mad toddler could be persuaded.

"Look Daddy Thomas' friend - can I have a ride, pleeeaaase"

I remember an article in Scientific American about a similar proposal in the mid 60s. The concept was a passenger carrying module to travel at high speed through a tube/tunnel connecting two American cities, which ones I can't remember, As the module was to travel at high speed the tube would have had to be evacuated. However, as the tube was to be evacuated the module would in fact have been propelled my air pressure. I have vague memories that the the tube/tunnel was not horizontal but was sloped down towards the midpoint so that gravity both accelerated and decelerated the module.

Scientific American was interesting in those days.