House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

Pensioner Loses Unoccupied Home To Squatter - Case Was Pre 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3589749/Pensioner-s-anger-squatter-wins-right-400-000-house-faces-losing-flat-pay-legal-bills.html

More Mail click bate, and I think we know where thei sympathies lie.

To be honest I've little sympathy for Mr Curtis. Why should anyone be able to leave a property empty for so long when there is a housing shortage. Really councils should be given powers to seize such properties.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3589749/Pensioner-s-anger-squatter-wins-right-400-000-house-faces-losing-flat-pay-legal-bills.html

More Mail click bate, and I think we know where thei sympathies lie.

To be honest I've little sympathy for Mr Curtis. Why should anyone be able to leave a property empty for so long when there is a housing shortage. Really councils should be given powers to seize such properties.

There's lots missing from that story (unsurprisingly).

Why wouldn't the pensioner have sold the property (the income info given suggests he's not rolling it in, and a 1 bed flat in Romford is hardly living it large)?

I wonder if he never knew it was his? In which case the DM has made him significantly worse off by telling him.

According to later in the article, the house was not legally his to sell anyway. His mother had not made a will, and 'he had not realised that he needed to apply to become administrator.'

So presumably the house had never been transferred into his ownership.

That would at least explain why he had never bothered to sell it. He had moved into a house that he had inherited (presumably all legally and above board) from an aunt. Which does rather make you think that he knew the situation with his mother's house needed sorting out, but either he couldn't be bothered or he found it all too difficult and daunting.

There's lots missing from that story (unsurprisingly).

Why wouldn't the pensioner have sold the property (the income info given suggests he's not rolling it in, and a 1 bed flat in Romford is hardly living it large)?

I wonder if he never knew it was his? In which case the DM has made him significantly worse off by telling him.

I agree, I would guess that he found out after several years, or he just forgot and then remembered.

Either way, does that excuse someone to live there illegally? I'm not convinced by any side's argument.

Adverse possession is there for a reason and the time limits to reclaim are generous.

This chap lost this property as he couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. The squatter just used the law to his best advantage.

Otherwise the ruin would sit there for decades getting worse....... The law is there to allow the system to work both ways. Bring a house back into use or to allow the owner to claim it and then maintain it.