House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Guitars

I'm a total beginner and did a small amount of research before plumping for a Yamaha F310 Acoustic today.

Got it home and tuned it up seems to have a small neck and not alot of room between strings.

I want to play the Spanish style of Guitar not interested in Brit Pop or other associated rubbish (IMPO)

I'm thinking about taking the Yamaha back tomorow and purchasing a "Classical" guitar with the wider neck and nylon strings.

Any budding Guitarists on here with any knowledge to share?

Playing classic and acoustic are very different styles

I play acoustic but can't read music.

Classic and you need to read music.

I've played on stage with groups many times. ...Guitars are amazing.

Hmmm yeah i can't read music (yet)

I bought the Yamaha F310 from Argos believe it or not, £99.99 guitar only.

Picked up a digital tuner and plectrums from a local music shop.

I've gone as far as tuning it up and doing a bit of strumming in E minor.

Take it straight back. Run all the way.

If you DID want one of those, there are hundreds available second had that wont be touched, as they are the archetypal xmas gift.

I often do a search on Ebay for "Yamaha Acoustic" as there are some gems buried in their canon. The 310 is not one of them.

That model is, without fail, the most frequently advertised.

I'm not really expert on Nylon string stuff, save to say i had a Yamaha NT model, which is an electrified classic type, and that was very playable.

Take that 310 back though, asap. Not a good reflection on Yamahas at all.

Take it straight back. Run all the way.

If you DID want one of those, there are hundreds available second had that wont be touched, as they are the archetypal xmas gift.

I often do a search on Ebay for "Yamaha Acoustic" as there are some gems buried in their canon. The 310 is not one of them.

That model is, without fail, the most frequently advertised.

I'm not really expert on Nylon string stuff, save to say i had a Yamaha NT model, which is an electrified classic type, and that was very playable.

Take that 310 back though, asap. Not a good reflection on Yamahas at all.

Cool thanks i'm straight back over there in the morning!

Any recomedations for a beginner?

Yamaha has a shop in London, worth a visit to try a variety of classical guitars. For classical or flamenco a wide neck is essential, and finger style rather than a plectrum. If you like spanish music try listening to some south american guitarists who have a slightly different approach to the spanish guitar.

The main drawback with spanish guitar is that it's rather difficult, so requires regular practise to start sounding fluent. Unlike the blues which is much easier to get the hang of.

Any Yamaha classical guitar about the £200 range would be a good starter.

If flamenco is your main thing you will need a flamenco guitar, rather than a normal classical instrument.

Good luck

As Mr S.Digger has mentioned, £200 will buy a smashing Yamaha nylon acoustic. Argos don't really cut it as a music store to me.I don't have any nylon strung ones BTW. Now there's a gadget I don't have. :blink: Not sure I know enough about classical Spanish style. More C&W Death metal I am,

Go to a music shop and just find a guitar that sounds sweet.

I love acoustic with light strings.

Then just learn your chords. Obviously majors first.

Most songs have very few chords.

I play a Canadian Garrison....Not sure they're still made.

Stick with it .......you'll be playing in no time.

I didn't get on with my nylon string acoustic at all, the non strings never sounded right, kept going out of tune, and had little projection.

Of course I girl I knew who could play well picked it up, tuned it, and sounded like Segovia. But she was already very good; I was a beginner.

I got on much better with a steel string acoustic; much nicer, guitary sound for the beginner so more rewarding. Plus it doesn't go out of tune anywhere near as quickly.

I didn't get on with my nylon string acoustic at all, the non strings never sounded right, kept going out of tune, and had little projection.

Of course I girl I knew who could play well picked it up, tuned it, and sounded like Segovia. But she was already very good; I was a beginner.

I got on much better with a steel string acoustic; much nicer, guitary sound for the beginner so more rewarding. Plus it doesn't go out of tune anywhere near as quickly.

I have also noticed the waffy tuning of nylon stringers. Though my experience of nylon guitars other than the Yamaha NT i mentioned above, have all been car boot quality. Suitable for doing this with.

Especially G.

On electric guitars i have used a wound 3rd .18 gauge for years as a plain G sounds "wrong" too.

Just did a search on Ebay for "Yamaha acoustic"

14 x FG310s on the first page.

Lots of "my son hasn't touched its" going cheap.

No need to pay more than about £30 for a minter

I just did a search on EBay too. Despite seeing lovely guitars, I purchased a vacuum cleaner. :wacko:

I decided to keep the 310 as i've already bought it now.

Been on it for a couple of hours on & off, i can play the opening of some Nirvana tune on 3 chords, starting in E minor on 2nd fret then dropping 1 string down, then middle finger over to 3rd fret 6th string,

All whilst strumming Down, Down, Down up, Down up.

I ditched the plectrum found fingers easier for now.

Got it going pretty well i'm hooked, off to buy a strap so i can play standing up!

I decided to keep the 310 as i've already bought it now.

Been on it for a couple of hours on & off, i can play the opening of some Nirvana tune on 3 chords, starting in E minor on 2nd fret then dropping 1 string down, then middle finger over to 3rd fret 6th string,

All whilst strumming Down, Down, Down up, Down up.

I ditched the plectrum found fingers easier for now.

Got it going pretty well i'm hooked, off to buy a strap so i can play standing up!

Can't get more Spanish than that. :blink:

Hey it's early days! i'm off to the Guitar shop to buy a strap and i will try out some different Guitars if i find them more comfortable i might buy a one and take the 310 back.

Hey it's early days! i'm off to the Guitar shop to buy a strap and i will try out some different Guitars if i find them more comfortable i might buy a one and take the 310 back.

Don't be hasty young hobbit.

Buy a capo put it at the second fret and tune the guitar down a tone.Makes it much easier on the finger tips.(tip from a pro bar singer).

Buy a capo put it at the second fret and tune the guitar down a tone.Makes it much easier on the finger tips.(tip from a pro bar singer).

Why aye mon! Nylon strings are not hard.

My fingertips hurt, how do i get all 3 fingers on the 2nd fret for an A Chord?

I can just about do it

(and change to D Chord & back)

but i have to press really hard on the 4th string as i'm up near fret 1 with the first finger.

Is it ok to mute string 1 when playing an A Chord?

My fingertips hurt, how do i get all 3 fingers on the 2nd fret for an A Chord?

I can just about do it

(and change to D Chord & back)

but i have to press really hard on the 4th string as i'm up near fret 1 with the first finger.

Is it ok to mute string 1 when playing an A Chord?

That's perfectly OK I think. Do you realise some guitars have different width necks? I don't have big "gardening" hands, so I'm OK with a slim neck. It really is what is comfortable to you, and anonymous voices on the internet vary in quality.