House Price Crash Forum

One In The Eye For The State - Or Is It.

HOLA441

Term-time holiday father wins at High Court

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-36277940

But......

The government says it will now consider making alterations to the law.

"We will look at the judgement in detail but are clear children's attendance is non-negotiable so we will now look to change the law," said a spokesman for the Department for Education.

"We also plan to strengthen statutory guidance to schools and local authorities."

The State wants your children :(,

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

It strikes me as a bit weird. we have all paid for schools, whether we have children or not. If you wish to have a weeks holiday in term time,with children, who should care? It's just a week. You can tutor you children at home should you wish. That is not illegal.

HOLA445

Who's children would those be, yours or The States?

Exactly! The state should know its bounds in a democracy. :blink:

HOLA446
HOLA447

Wonder if it's a ploy to encourage better off parents to send their kids to private school.

At least you get to fag for a better class of school bully. :huh:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

People used to do that all the time in the 80s and 90s, nobody was bothered at all. Imagine how bad it's going to be in the decades ahead,

Yes I think I detect some severe silliness.

HOLA4411

It strikes me as a bit weird. we have all paid for schools, whether we have children or not. If you wish to have a weeks holiday in term time,with children, who should care? It's just a week. You can tutor you children at home should you wish. That is not illegal.

Yet.

You can bet that'll change soon enough on some spurious anti-radicalisation, or child protection basis.

Anyone who can afford (either the time to homeschool, or the money to go private) to take their children out of the state system should.

HOLA4412

Yet.

You can bet that'll change soon enough on some spurious anti-radicalisation, or child protection basis.

Anyone who can afford (either the time to homeschool, or the money to go private) to take their children out of the state system should.

A good holiday will probably teach more than a week at school. You can see things, not available on the curriculum, which is a poncy name for a work order.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

A good holiday will probably teach more than a week at school. You can see things, not available on the curriculum, which is a poncy name for a work order.

And perhaps those parents would also encourage and help their children to do their homework rather than sitting on the sofa blowing smoke in their faces.

Unless we have a Kibbutz type system and take children away from their parents at birth to be educated by the state there will never be equality of opportunity, and that's ignoring genes.

HOLA4415

I think it was a joke....that the consequences is a day in Court and a criminal record.

I think this really goes back to the attitude of teachers that they blame parents if they get poor results.

Yes, you could be right..... Sorry thecrashingisles :(.

HOLA4416

Just say you want to try "home educating" them for couple of weeks.

Not if you want them to retain a place at the same school. I phoned them in as sick but we still got fined.

Given how much they ask for in "voluntary contributions" styled as invoices that I no longer have any inclination to pay, it's actually going to save me money in the end.

HOLA4417

And perhaps those parents would also encourage and help their children to do their homework rather than sitting on the sofa blowing smoke in their faces.

Unless we have a Kibbutz type system and take children away from their parents at birth to be educated by the state there will never be equality of opportunity, and that's ignoring genes.

Funny you should say that, but homework is going out of vogue precisely because it "discriminates" against those with unhelpful parents.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Not if you want them to retain a place at the same school. I phoned them in as sick but we still got fined.

I know someone who takes his brood overseas for four months of the year but has them in a state school when they're not sailing/travelling. Apparently, it was a bit of a hard fight with the school but he committed to taking a tutor on their family jaunts and, in the end, the school accepted it.

How do schools accommodate travellers?

HOLA4421

I know someone who takes his brood overseas for four months of the year but has them in a state school when they're not sailing/travelling. Apparently, it was a bit of a hard fight with the school but he committed to taking a tutor on their family jaunts and, in the end, the school accepted it.

How do schools accommodate travellers?

Was the tutor the headmaster's son, by any chance?

HOLA4422
Guest eight

The problem is that we thought we were voting for Conservatives not NuLabour in drag.

Only if you were staggeringly naive. But then I thought you voted UKIP anyway.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The problem is that we thought we were voting for Conservatives not NuLabour in drag.

They're both centralising statists. The current govt is just the most recent Blue Labour administration.

HOLA4425

Archived