House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Ebay Shill Bidding

As a newbie on Ebay I am very wary of this ie. the seller puts up a fake account or a friend to bid you up.

However, I have just discovered that if you raise your high bid reserve it actually shows as a separate bid so the bloody seller knows there is more in the tank. How ridiculous is that. Is there a way of placing a bid and a reserve so that it shows as one bid ? ( I found this out by not logging on to get a universal screen , I thought the dual bid only showed to your account).

I've only gone and raised my bid reserve twice and is now showing everybody I have three bids at the same amount :wacko:

If it's something you really really want and have a maximum amount in mind then why not just set up a snipe? You should be able to withdraw the bids you've placed.

Snipe? that sounds technical. I set up a reserve because I am not going to be able to see the thing through to conclusion...these auctions alway end at the weekend when I am offline usually.

Have to say it is amazing how often a new bidder appears when you have just placed a high bid reserve, very suspicious.

Snipe? that sounds technical. I set up a reserve becuase I am not going to be able to see the thing through to conclusion...these auctions alway end at the weekend when I am offline usually.

Have to say it is amazing how often a new bidder appears when you have just placed a high bid reserve, very suspicious.

I bid on something, then someone bid more, and then retracted which meant they knew how much I'd bid.

I did not bid again on that item.

I sniped my car. Got a bargain so much so I think they were a bit reluctant to hand the keys over because they thought I was going to flip it. Had it over 4 years now.

Snipe? that sounds technical. I set up a reserve because I am not going to be able to see the thing through to conclusion...these auctions alway end at the weekend when I am offline usually.

Then sniping is for you. You can set up your top bid and at how many seconds before the end you want it to bid for you.

I find it's worthing having a look at the other bidders in the auction.

I get very suspicious when you get one or more bidders with no purchase history bidding.

One of the nice things with ebay is that there's normally more than one of whatever it is you want on sale, so if a seller wants to play silly buggers with their own shills, then I'll leave them to it.

Then sniping is for you. You can set up your top bid and at how many seconds before the end you want it to bid for you.

If it needs executing from my mobile, no bloody chance, my nokia 2009 is just a piece of s$$t..Samsung Nexus S6 is not on my shopping list.

If it needs executing from my mobile, no bloody chance, my nokia 2009 is just a piece of s$$t..Samsung Nexus S6 is not on my shopping list.

Nope it`s done automaticaly take your pick https://www.searchlock.com/search?q=ebay+snipe+bid

Goofbid is what i use there's some interesting info there as well http://www.goofbid.com/

Guest eight

As a newbie on Ebay I am very wary of this ie. the seller puts up a fake account or a friend to bid you up.

However, I have just discovered that if you raise your high bid reserve it actually shows as a separate bid so the bloody seller knows there is more in the tank. How ridiculous is that. Is there a way of placing a bid and a reserve so that it shows as one bid ? ( I found this out by not logging on to get a universal screen , I thought the dual bid only showed to your account).

I've only gone and raised my bid reserve twice and is now showing everybody I have three bids at the same amount :wacko:

Have I been hit by a car and woken up in 2002?

I am sure there are many fake bidders. I usually know exactly what I will bid, having seen similar items go before. I put in a reasonable amount, and don't watch the auction. An email will inform me whether I have spent money or not.

I take it you're not bidding on a smartphone then.

Can't believe people are bidding without using a sniper. Have to say I find the auctions very lacklustre on ebay these days but have done very well in the past.

In general though you have to take the mentality of a global view on what you buy on there. I've got no shortage of rusty old junk, I'm cross with myself for buying but, on the flipside I've got some absolutely incredible bargains. £170k piece of warehouse equipment I got for £1.5k a few years back covers a lot of the mistakes - and possibly incited me to risk making some of them too, I have to admit.

Ebay's days of bargains are long gone, unfortunately. I did very well ten to fifteen years ago, refurnishing my living room and two bedrooms with great bargains. Fortunately, I had the Landcruiser - also an eBay bargain - to transport them home in.

Ebay's days of bargains are long gone, unfortunately. I did very well ten to fifteen years ago, refurnishing my living room and two bedrooms with great bargains. Fortunately, I had the Landcruiser - also an eBay bargain - to transport them home in.

When you die, can I have it? :wacko:

I got accused of using a Shill Bidder on ebay when i was selling a car, i got banned for 24 months. They sent me an email asking if i wanted to revalidate my account when my ban was up.

The problem with ebay is if you are wanting something rare and very specific you will not be alone in the bidding. I lost out on three things at the weekend, though I guess you only have to be lucky once. One item in particular only comes along about once a month and each time it fetches silly money. I have happened on a rare item with a typo today and I am hoping, as it will be beyond ebay search engine.

I search using typos all the time in eBay; it's amazing how few people can spell.

Best not to buy from the illiterate. They probably don't know what they are selling, and it's not theirs, or it may not exist. A good seller will have a well written description and good photos.

Best not to buy from the illiterate. They probably don't know what they are selling, and it's not theirs, or it may not exist. A good seller will have a well written description and good photos.

Not always dodgy I'd say. Out of all the stuff I've bought and collected on there, it would depend on your classification of dodgy, quite a few, including upright middle class sorts, are black economy/cash in hand but have only been three times I have thought it to be very dodgy. One was, what turned out to be a pikey camp, another was a fair people camp and the other was a grotty industrial estate in Essex where they were breaking up all sorts of cars. With all three it was fairly threatening/unwelcome vibes from the other people on the sites as a stranger. I do keep an old pickup truck which I use to tow my trailer when making collections from less salubrious UK postcodes though.

Ebay collections are a rich seam for anecdotes, there's probably a book in it. Once had to handball a load of stuff into an articulated lorry, I'd taken for the job, and the only place big enough to park it, in the village, was the Church Hall car park. This was empty when I started but had partially filled with cars when I'd finished. This resulted in me having to drag a gaggle of elderly women from their line dancing session. in the hall, and an ensuing farce of them trying to shunt their Nissan Micras, and other assorted old lady cars, backwards and forwards, whilst wearing cowboy boots, enough out of the way for me to get out.