House Price Crash Forum

Progressive Rock Album Recommendations

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I either have this or classical on when I work as they cretae the right mood but have run out of things to listen to so am after recommendations.

Nothing raucous like Rush (I like them hugely, but not to work to) or King Crimson, early Genesis is ideal but I know all the songs inside out.

I'm currently giving Yes / Fragile a go but it's not really doing it for me.

Any specific albums worth a go? Modern is fine as the most recent I know is Dream Theatre which must be twenty years back now so there must be some good stuff since. Concept albums especially welcomed.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I'm not a big fan of the Prog myself, but my friend's who are all bang on about Tool. They may be a bit too heavy for you, so check out YouTube before buying. I saw Opeth live a few years back and they were very impressive (but again may be a bit heavy for you). They were a bit too progressive for my tastes, but very very good at what they did.

Edit to add YouTube links

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Deep Purple in Rock. Now that`s Prog Rock.

err, that's Heavy Rock surely? there's nothing that isn't in 4/4 and lyrics are standard "hey baby I wanna love you all night long" stuff as opposed to Tolkien/Sci-Fi themes

What about the classic Floyd: Darkside of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall

My favourite Yes album is Close To The Edge

Fold-influenced" Jethro Tull Aqualung or Thick As A Brick

Personally favourites are the classic Mike Oldfield albums: Ommadawn, Tubular Bells, Incantations

HOLA448

Maybe different definitions of what prog is then.

I think Steve Hackett era Genesis and not Led Zep, we're all different but I can't work to that!

That Trees was nice and I will try the other modern stuff; of which I hadn't heard.

Is Deep Purple counted as prog? Firmly under heavy rock in my book. Not that that's a bad thing and I quite like them; I'm aware they did use interesting time signatures and were more musicians than many of their peers.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Maybe different definitions of what prog is then.

I think Steve Hackett era Genesis and not Led Zep, we're all different but I can't work to that!

That Trees was nice and I will try the other modern stuff; of which I hadn't heard.

Is Deep Purple counted as prog? Firmly under heavy rock in my book. Not that that's a bad thing and I quite like them; I'm aware they did use interesting time signatures and were more musicians than many of their peers.

Always liked this:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Genesis Lamb Lies Down is superb, I often listen to it end-to-end.

I concur!

The Lamia is a great track :D

'A sickly sourness fills the room, the bitter harvest of a dying bloom'

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Ozric tentacles have over 20 studio albums, maybe try out Strangitude or Pungent Efulgent.

This is a good example, Sploosh:

Great stuff, takes me back to my youth. The Ozrics were the soundtrack to many a day on the psychedelics.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Some slightly more left-field suggestions..Hidria Spacefolk (Ozric soundalikes from Finland), Rochdale duo Tractor ("Little Girl In Yellow" is their best track) and Wicked Lady's album 'The Axeman Cometh.'

HOLA4425

Archived