House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Bbc Licence Staying - No Stealth Broadband Tax - Hurrah!

The iPlayer goes behind a paywall and only those who wish to line the BBC's pockets by having a TV are required to pay it.

Very good result IMO, the BBC's attempts to sprawl across those without TVs to continue to pick up a universal licence has failed, 4% have opted out so far, and in addition to that the over 75s aren't required to pay. Over 11 years the number of those either without a licence or a free one will both blossom.

The White Paper will say the licence fee will continue for at least 11 years and viewers will need to pay it to use BBC iPlayer catch-up services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36259237

And before the dedicated whingers start this is deserving of a new thread because up to now a broadband tax has seemed a real possibility.

They'll regret that 11 years.

5 years ago, the idea of not having broadcast would have bothered me.

Now, Amazon prime + netflix, means Im reconsidering it.

My kids do not watch BBC TV at all.

The iPlayer goes behind a paywall and only those who wish to line the BBC's pockets by having a TV are required to pay it.

Very good result IMO, the BBC's attempts to sprawl across those without TVs to continue to pick up a universal licence has failed, 4% have opted out so far, and in addition to that the over 75s aren't required to pay. Over 11 years the number of those either without a licence or a free one will both blossom.

I wonder how the iPlayer registration will work as the licence fee is per household.

I wonder how the iPlayer registration will work as the licence fee is per household.

A limit of three, four or five sign-ins in use at any one time I suppose. That tech exists small scale for works software so I guess rolling it out on a mass scale is perfectly feasible.

They'll regret that 11 years.

5 years ago, the idea of not having broadcast would have bothered me.

Now, Amazon prime + netflix, means Im reconsidering it.

My kids do not watch BBC TV at all.

I looked at what was on my Sky box's planner menu, to remind or record, and there were about 20 shown on there. Only 1 was BBC (wife had added Graham Norton...).

Kids spend all their time on YouTube and snapchat.

We are almost at the point where not having the BBC would only be the mildest of inconveniences. Most of the time its absence wouldn't be noticed at all.

I wish we had a good major broadcaster that could match HBO and the like, instead of the incredibly mediocre and under performing BBC.

I would start to worry at this point. Anyone with broadband has the capability to watch iplayer. That sounds like a prospective basis for a broadband tax. And in an era of public wifi and 4G, that's potentially a very wide net.

I would start to worry at this point. Anyone with broadband has the capability to watch iplayer. That sounds like a prospective basis for a broadband tax. And in an era of public wifi and 4G, that's potentially a very wide net.

No, I think we're safe from that because of an earlier story:

John Whittingdale, the culture secretary, is to order the BBC to put password controls on the iPlayer, paving the way for the introduction of a separate subscription fee for the streaming service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/28/iplayer-could-be-given-password-protection-and-subscription-fee/

There was a lot of speculation floating around. As I understand it, today's announcement stamps on most of it. Do you see anything to suggest that's really a prospect?

There was a lot of speculation floating around. As I understand it, today's announcement stamps on most of it. Do you see anything to suggest that's really a prospect?

Have to wait for the white paper now but as they're talking about closing the "loophole" and the licence is staying then this still stands as far as I can see.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/522824/DCMS_A-BBC-for-the-future_linked__1_.pdf

In order to improve enforcement and allow BBC content to be ‘portable’ for UK licence fee payers (so they could gain access while on holiday in Europe, something which is currently not offered) the government thinks there is a case for iPlayer to require verification – i.e. access should be conditional upon verification of licence fee payment – so that individuals in other countries, and those in the UK not paying the fee, cannot access licence fee funded content for free. The government will discuss verification and other options with the BBC and look at the best way of implementing this, including through regulations if needed. It will be up to the BBC to determine whether this is an appropriate means of charging international viewers.

It's not unequivocal but it's hard to interpret this as supporting the household levy or other blanket charges.

Damned if I will pay for iPlayer.

I guess I will never again see Brian Cox gazing wistfully at out-of-focus trees in what is basically a radio science programme with irrelevant pictures.

British (Hurrah!) Space-Deity His Geat Stellar Munificence Spacelord Tim Peake will at least be able to materialise as an apparition in my living room without the use of a televisor, thanks to his sparkly glittery scientific space-powers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36259237

And before the dedicated whingers start this is deserving of a new thread because up to now a broadband tax has seemed a real possibility.

Is that right about bbc i player going behind a paywall ...all i can see is you will need a licence to view it have i missed something ?

From the link

The licence fee will continue for at least 11 years and will be linked to inflation - and viewers will need to pay it to use BBC iPlayer.

The BBC sometimes webcasts live TV. technically, a licence is needed to view that content as it is being broadcast.

iPlayer is generally recorded content available on demand. Iplayer content is not generally available at the time it broadcast on TV. To force people to have a licence to view iPlayer on-demand services would require a change in the law.

So I expect that people will instead be forced to pay for iPlayer recorded content by putting it behind a paywall.

Is that right about bbc i player going behind a paywall ...all i can see is you will need a licence to view it have i missed something ?

From the link

That's what I meant by a paywall; you have to buy a licence to watch it.

I have a slightly different perspective as with no TV or licence then when these changes are brought in I would need to buy a licence to watch iPlayer so effectively putting it behind a paywall as far as I am concerned.

Guest eight

I presume they'll be allowed to accept people buying 'licenses' from overseas?

Personally, I'm not happy they've pretty much maintained an unsatisfactory status quo for the next 11 years. Separate tax collection for the most universal of all services is a waste. The pretence of independence is slowly dropping. And criminalising so many poor people and tying up the courts is a crime in itself. All waste. If they want a state broadcaster, just take it from the central pot and let them fight it out with the Treasury.

I can't believe it's deemed criminal to merely receive an unencrypted broadcast signal. That's like me trying to charge a passer by for overhearing my conversation in the street.

I can't believe it's deemed criminal to merely receive an unencrypted broadcast signal. That's like me trying to charge a passer by for overhearing my conversation in the street.

You don't have to receive it, just be able to. In your analogy, the passer by just has to have ears.

Guest eight

You don't have to receive it, just be able to. In your analogy, the passer by just has to have ears.

Yes, actually you're correct. It's even more ridiculous.

It's ridiculous that there's no way to watch the iPlayer legally outside the UK. The BBC needs to get with the modern world.

Most things that we miss can be downloaded from other sources.Search on https://kat.cr/ for instance.

Most things that we miss can be downloaded from other sources.Search on https://kat.cr/ for instance.

But you have no way of officially paying the BBC for their services. They will have no future in the global market if they're banned from having customers because of the licence model.

It's ridiculous that there's no way to watch the iPlayer legally outside the UK. The BBC needs to get with the modern world.

For the stuff they've bought in from abroad they'll only have bought the rights to show it in the UK.

For the stuff they commission they could do it, but they currently sell that to foreign TV companies, so they'd have to be confident that selling direct would make more money than they are currently getting.

So we will continue to pay for the left wing biased Ministry of Information. If I have one complaint, it is they are very immigrant biased and positively racist. Well the corporation is run by first through to third generation immigrants. As someone who probably has zero immigrant input through the centuries, on any side of the family, I have to say that they make you feel like some inbred f&&king imbecile. Which I know I probably am, I know my place.

better give some examples.......

(1) Who do you think you are...gold star for any immigration in your ancestry

(2) news...immigration is good for you

(3) science...mixed race are superior

(4) eveybody that is important at the BBC seems to have a foreign name.

And if that is being racist for mentioning positive propaganda then I humbly submit myself for re-education.