House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Positive Discrimination For White Men, Under Represented At Universities

Wow, well it's finally happened. It is for those coming from poor backgrounds only but even so.

Universities Minister Jo Johnson said: "While we are seeing record application rates from disadvantaged backgrounds, this report shows that too many are still missing out.

"That is why our recent university access guidance for the first time called for specific support for white boys from the poorest homes."

I found the whole article a bit shocking for the BBC; decently researched and balanced. It must be by a work experience person who hasn't been on the proper courses yet.

In 1990, there were 34,000 women graduating from UK universities, compared with 43,000 men. By 2000, the positions were reversed, with 133,000 women graduating, compared with 110,000 men.

In the following years the gap has accelerated - so that the most recent figures from last year show there were almost 300,000 more women in higher education than men.

Five out of six higher education institutions now have more female students than male - and if every single man who applied to university were to be automatically given a place, there would still be fewer men than women.

Among white boys from disadvantaged families only about 10% will go to university - the lowest of any social or ethnic group.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36266753

Wow, well it's finally happened. It is for those coming from poor backgrounds only but even so.

I found the whole article a bit shocking for the BBC; decently researched and balanced. It must be by a work experience person who hasn't been on the proper courses yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36266753

You must have missed it headlined on BC Breakfast this morning.

"GIRLS POWER AHEAD"

White males are now statistically the most downtrodden group.

The solution is there for you; go trans et voila instant minority with all the privileges that you could dream of! Guaranteed public sector employment for life for one, treated like royalty by your council for another.

It is mainly to do with funding. A poor white boy in Hull or Liverpool will get a fraction of black and asian kids on government's doorstep in London where resources have been focused for some time now.

(this is a fact btw, not an assertion)

Its funding - paying extra for non national scandals is a national scandal and the scum in the LA and schools needs shooting.

Its also down to a drop in the number of Male teachers.

UK schools are dominated by women, for teaching girls pretty useless topics.

Why would any normal person want to go to university? Looks like young white males are cleverer than we thought.

To lear a lot more about a subject in which you are interested, to mix with people as clever or cleverer than you are, and if it's a historic one the sheer pleasure of living and studying in buildings that are hundreds of years old.

If none of that appeals to you and a degree is either not required or not helpful in your chosen career then yes, why would you go?

To lear a lot more about a subject in which you are interested, to mix with people as clever or cleverer than you are, ...

Isn't that what HPC's for?

Why would any normal person want to go to university? Looks like young white males are cleverer than we thought.

.....personally imo the education given to me was much to be desired.....can't say any teacher apart from one brilliant one inspired me in the slightest.....total waste of tax payers money.....thank goodness I never went to university, would have put be back another four or five years......sometimes I wonder if the education system is run for the people that work and run the education system.....maybe they are not the silly ones. ;)

.....personally imo the education given to me was much to be desired.....can't say any teacher apart from one brilliant one inspired me in the slightest.....total waste of tax payers money.....thank goodness I never went to university, would have put be back another four or five years......sometimes I wonder if the education system is run for the people that work and run the education system.....maybe they are not the silly ones. ;)

From the people who work in the sector that post on here I think you are right to say for the benefit of those who RUN the sector - vice-chancellors pulling in student money - but the expansion and changes don't seem to benefit the academics (lecturers, professors) who used to run the show but are now very replaceable employees on short contracts.

Which is wrong IMO; I think the academics should be running the show and not just viewed as income earners.

I went to uni precisely for the reasons I stated above; they were sufficient and career advantage or disadvantage was irrelevant. So I would never tell anybody to go or not go, just to decide for the right reasons.

From the people who work in the sector that post on here I think you are right to say for the benefit of those who RUN the sector - vice-chancellors pulling in student money - but the expansion and changes don't seem to benefit the academics (lecturers, professors) who used to run the show but are now very replaceable employees on short contracts.

Which is wrong IMO; I think the academics should be running the show and not just viewed as income earners.

I went to uni precisely for the reasons I stated above; they were sufficient and career advantage or disadvantage was irrelevant. So I would never tell anybody to go or not go, just to decide for the right reasons.

Sure make your own mind up......but I would most certainly say, do not go if it were to be a career disadvantage, that is VERY relevant when it not only costs valuable time but valuable money all be it helicopter money.....there are plenty of places you can learn, and plenty of people that you can learn from that will not take up as much of your valuable early working life time nor future income tax/ money. ;)

Sure make your own mind up......but I would most certainly say, do not go if it were to be a career disadvantage, that is VERY relevant when it not only costs valuable time but valuable money all be it helicopter money.....there are plenty of places you can learn, and plenty of people that you can learn from that will not take up as much of your valuable early working life time nor future income tax/ money. ;)

I cannot believe what I'm hearing from winkie!

valuable working time

future income tax

money

money

career disadvantage

money

mmmmm.gif

I cannot believe what I'm hearing from winkie!

valuable working time

future income tax

money

money

career disadvantage

money

mmmmm.gif

So what do you think university can provide that a good employer will not provide....in the way of learning, team work, community, ability for career progression when ready and willing, regular reviews and guidance......great after work activities, sports clubs, learning courses, distant learning.....all this whilst being paid.....earn as you learn.

Or does this type of work no longer exist in UK 2016.....all they want is your cash, your time your blood and your money..... ;)

It's purely money. Who want's a £50,000 debt? Is it worth it?

So what do you think university can provide that a good employer will not provide....in the way of learning, team work, community, ability for career progression when ready and willing, regular reviews and guidance......great after work activities, sports clubs, learning courses, distant learning.....all this whilst being paid.....earn as you learn.

Or does this type of work no longer exist in UK 2016.....all they want is your cash, your time your blood and your money..... ;)

Sorry Winkie - I have no idea who you have worked for but I don't recognise any of this nowadays.

Sorry Winkie - I have no idea who you have worked for but I don't recognise any of this nowadays.

Sad to say you may well be right....labour it seems is two a penny nowadays......unloved and undervalued, don't like it always someone to replace it.....unless a CEO for some mega corporation....two or three years work will set you up for life. ;)

It's purely money. Who want's a £50,000 debt? Is it worth it?

A consumer is a consumer whether they borrow the money or not.....the providers want your debt NOW they couldn't care a less if you repay it or default on it.....by then they will have spent it and looking for the next willing and able punter to sell their wears to....it may work out to be beneficial, but just as likely it will not..... ;)

He's right

University is dogshit and was shite when I graduated in 2011

30k debt for a bit of paper that lets you apply to certain jobs

It must be even worse now

I wish I was born 2 years later then I would have never have gone after those fees

There might be amazing professors and facilities (like where I went) but the general standard of the course is dogshit and that is the only word to describe it. At least 80% of the people on my course (Electrical Engineering) should never have been there either through not being mentally able enough or being timewasters.

So god knows what its like NOW and at other universities not in the Top 10 of the ******** league tables, or on bullsh1t courses like International Relations

I myself was a time waster at university and I could have and SHOULD have made a lot more of the amazing teachers and facilities.

I got a 1st and did absolutely ****** all work. So ****** knows what people were doing who couldnt even get a 2:2. My cousins had the same experience - their words were literally 'turn up to get a 2:1' and that is what it is

When you go to university all you are doing is BUYING a bit of paper that allows you to apply for certain jobs

Well I went to University quite a while back, and the work was pretty relentless. I think I only know one person who got a first, and he was exceptionally bright, albeit not great to attend parties with. Unlike Frank's worthy dreams of ancient towering spires, I think everything there was built in the 60s. Still, I left, owing the bank £60.