House Price Crash Forum

Would Asking People To Take Their Shoes Off For A Viewing Decrease House Prices

HOLA441

My EA seems to think its fine to just do a viewing in muddy wet shoes and trample mud throughout the house.

How stupid are these people? Surely if its wet and you have dirty shoes you just take them off in the porch if your a normal civilised person?

I've only got 11 weeks left on the contract to sell it with them, if it doesn't sell by then I'll move it to another agent.

Edited by stuckin2up2down

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Provide lightweight plastic overshoes (or fluffy slippers if you are that way inclined)

Like the ones you get at swimming pools. Actually a very good idea.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Just a thought; have you told the EA you're not happy about this or are you being all British about it and not saying anything whilst quietly seething?

The only reason I ask is you'd be amazed how many people think it's perfectly normal to walk around a stranger's house in their concrete or worse stained shoes. My house is strictly shoes off but I've come close to falling out with at least one person who saw this as a real imposition (a former colleague who as it turned out had seriously smelly feet).

Can't understand thinking it's ok to keep your shoes on in the house but each to their own I guess.

In answer to your question I'm sure someone will be along with a shoes off index or similar soon enough to provide a solid statistical argument. Me personally, I've just sold my gaff in record time at the asking price with the aforementioned strict shoes off policy.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

My EA seems to think its fine to just do a viewing in muddy wet shoes and trample mud throughout the house.

How stupid are these people? Surely if its wet and you have dirty shoes you just take them off in the porch if your a normal civilised person?

Maybe you'd get a higher price if you advertised that people could bring their dogs to the viewings. If the dog loves a place they can hardly refuse to put in an offer.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Well, if you asked me to take my shoes off I would be offended.

On the other hand, I would be impressed that if you take this much care of your house, it is probably in very good order, even if you are obsessive.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I don't understand why this is an issue (taking shoes off). Almost every single house that I went for a viewing the EA asked either to take shoes off or to use those plastic covering for the shoes.

No offence taken there. Thought it's rather normal. When we get baby sitters they always ask do we want them to take their shoes off without us prompting them. The answer is yes for upstairs btw.

HOLA4420

Your prayers have been answered with remarkable, good looking......"Kick-ons". Not only can will it solve the mud in the house problem but once the viewings are done you can wear them around town, nights out or shopping and you will save wear and tear on your proper shoes.

hdr6.jpg

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I, and two guys occasionally have to unload furniture into a house with new carpets, and do it with no shoes entering said abodes...tricky. Carpet can be covered but it takes some doing covering all rooms and then the stairs so you don`t trip up and break your neck carrying wardrobes upstairs.

Then theres the added risk of dropping one end of a washing machine on your big toe with no protection at all...I often wonder what health and safety jobs worths would say about it. Changing shoes in and out would take forever and having to put a heavy item down then pick up once again is time consuming...

Total bleeding malarky.

HOLA4425

Well, if you asked me to take my shoes off I would be offended.

On the other hand, I would be impressed that if you take this much care of your house, it is probably in very good order, even if you are obsessive.

Offended? Do you just walk around peoples homes with muddy shoes on?

I don't understand why this is an issue (taking shoes off). Almost every single house that I went for a viewing the EA asked either to take shoes off or to use those plastic covering for the shoes.

No offence taken there. Thought it's rather normal. When we get baby sitters they always ask do we want them to take their shoes off without us prompting them. The answer is yes for upstairs btw.

I don't either.

I'm kite flying with my price, as all it takes is one buyer and its a perfect boomer place, but it could be on for months to come. If people are genuinely offended with the suggestion to take their shoes off im not sure what to do.