House Price Crash Forum

Retro Kitsch...suddenly I Love It

HOLA441

Hated 70s stuff most of my life but i seem to have had a bit of a Road to Damascus conversion just lately. We are actually thinking of going completely retro the next time we get a house.

You know bakelite dial phone, teak furniture, kitsch art like the one I have linked, little hiker Hummel figurine :wacko:. may pass on the avacado bathroom suite but who knows hopw far this will go.

Nostalgia for a better time, low house prices and proper jobs, plusless technology.

The chinese lady.........

http://www.artlyst.com/img/newsletters/vladimir-tretchikoff-quote-of-the-month-2.jpg

Little hiker...

https://p2.liveauctioneers.com/1073/32791/13175069_1_l.jpg

Mr and Mrs Clark...how we lived then, of course Mr Clark became homeless once the 70s passed him by......

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/hockney-mr-and-mrs-clark-and-percy-t01269

HOLA442

Find someone who is doing up an old place and get their old school granny type electric wall fire before they chuck it.

They will no doubt be 'in' again before long.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I thought I'd go for the 1850's tenant look - cold, damp, windows that leak, old aga cooker that doesn't work properly and a coal fire. Don't bother, I'll stay where I am. :rolleyes:

I'll take the coal fire and leaky windows over plastic ones.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Bakelite phones went out in the sixties, surely?

For 70's kitsch you want a trimphone. Preferably one of the later non-radioactive ones (although presumably most of the tritium in the early ones will have decayed to helium by now).

HOLA4410

For 70's kitsch you want a trimphone. Preferably one of the later non-radioactive ones (although presumably most of the tritium in the early ones will have decayed to helium by now).

I'd forgotten about them. You had to hold it down to dial it was so light!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The name sounds familiar. Since I'm most likely to remember it from the 80s then hopefully I wasn't irradiating myself.

HOLA4413

The 1959 GPO Type 706 telephone was an astonishingly clever example of electrical design. Just about every component has a dual function, true economy of design.

From the phone number, this example seems to have been nicked from Scotland Yard.

1280px-GPO_706_Green_Telephone.JPG

I see that exchange is Whitehall.......used to be tudor, gerrard, then enterprise.......remember the party lines where you picked the phone up and could listen to a neighbours conversation....highly enlightening and often entertaining. :P

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The 1959 GPO Type 706 telephone was an astonishingly clever example of electrical design. Just about every component has a dual function, true economy of design.

From the phone number, this example seems to have been nicked from Scotland Yard.

1280px-GPO_706_Green_Telephone.JPG

That's what 'phones looked like.

Right up to BT privatisation in the '80s, when instead of having to hire a 'phone, you could buy your own, and the market exploded with choice and new-fangled (but much more convenient) push-button models. Followed rapidly by tone-dialling and other more modern things.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The hard of hearing phone really did exist. It had an amplified handset, with a light, in case you couldn't hear the bell. :blink:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

That's what 'phones looked like.

Right up to BT privatisation in the '80s, when instead of having to hire a 'phone, you could buy your own, and the market exploded with choice and new-fangled (but much more convenient) push-button models. Followed rapidly by tone-dialling and other more modern things.

Sir, I congratulate you on your meticulous, if somewhat anally-retentive, use of apostrophes.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

You were nobody unless you had a trim phone.....

The rotary Trimphone was truly awful. One of it's many design flaws was that the microphone was near the ear speaker, connected by a plastic tube to the 'mouth-hole', This meant that if you covered the mouthpiece with your hand to speak to someone in your room, you weren't effectively muffling what you said, which must have caught out a few people.

HOLA4425

From the phone number, this example seems to have been nicked from Scotland Yard.1280px-GPO_706_Green_Telephone.JPG

Why were there letters on those phones?

Archived