House Price Crash Forum
mat109

Mail: Divorced Boomer Women Have To Rent *horror*

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3581787/Why-painful-late-life-divorce-isn-t-losing-husband-s-losing-home.html#comments

Pay £120 a week to the council for a two bed? Count me in. The entitlement is incredible, and noone mentions the real problem - insane prices and an incredible disdain for those who rent.

I just wish they could see how women 30 years younger have to live.

Equality. That's what everyone has been aiming for, so they should be pleased with this.

Edited by Errol

"In 1999, they moved again for Liz's career, settling in Hampshire. She began searching for their next family home with a budget of £200,000 — no small sum back then — while her employers rented them a property in the interim."

Still a large sum of money 17 years on. However, as we know , property has went stratospheric since that year off 1999. :ph34r:

.....once the place is sold, the debt paid, any equity divided....the snake will lead back to square one.....who will pay the rent when all the money is spent? ;)

snakesladders.jpg

My ex once tried moaning to me about how hard it was being a single mother. Yeah right, you sack the gardener and are now moaning about the state of the garden. It was your decision so it's your problem.

This is the problem when house prices absolutely require two full-time incomes to pay the mortgage. It's when you have to pay the rent/mortgage on your own - THEN you realise how expensive housing in the UK is.

Cry me a river.

Simple answer is that people should value more and work harder to preserve their marriage. Just because divorce is easier than it was 50+ years ago doesn't mean they should be used so readily.

People who marry in haste and/or too young I can understand will have higher rates of wanting to divorce. BUT I always struggle to understand how a couple who have made it past the 20+ year mark, and likely raised kids too, can so easily part company. I mean you would have had plenty of time before that to know if there were any aspects of your partner you didn't like or had a risk of changing to something you didn't like.

Cry me a river.

Simple answer is that people should value more and work harder to preserve their marriage. Just because divorce is easier than it was 50+ years ago doesn't mean they should be used so readily.

People who marry in haste and/or too young I can understand will have higher rates of wanting to divorce. BUT I always struggle to understand how a couple who have made it past the 20+ year mark, and likely raised kids too, can so easily part company. I mean you would have had plenty of time before that to know if there were any aspects of your partner you didn't like or had a risk of changing to something you didn't like.

Not sure on your pluralisation there - it reads like couples give up easily, whereas with most divorces it's one person who gives up/cheats/fukcs up in some way, leaving the other party totally at a loss (speak from experience). I used to have an opinion that all divorcees were weak in some way. Now I know that a big proportion of them didn't ask for it to happen - it happened to them.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

Some people will never be marriage material.....they walk from one disaster to the next....the trick is to spot them coming and briskly walk in the opposite direction.... ;)

Equality. That's what everyone has been aiming for, so they should be pleased with this.

I suspect that the advent of Gay Marriage will have a pretty levelling effect on the distribution of shared wealth and possessions after all divorces, especially when Children aren't involved although in this specific case the issues seem to stem from stupidly large mortgages.

Looking at the 'silver divorces' how on Earth do people manage to have huge mortgages into their 60s? They would have got on the housing ladder back in the days when houses were extremely affordable compared to today's prices and by that stage of their lives should have been mortgage free or at least have a only a small mortgage.

Not sure on your pluralisation there - it reads like couples give up easily, whereas with most divorces it's one person who gives up/cheats/fukcs up in some way, leaving the other party totally at a loss (speak from experience). I used to have an opinion that all divorcees were weak in some way. Now I know that a big proportion of them didn't ask for it to happen - it happened to them.

There's no doubt a great deal fall in to the category you allude to (i.e. one party exclusively to blame rather than both).

BUT problems arise because the other party may well not be doing their share of effort/make their contribution to making the marriage 'work'. Marriage has to be worked at constantly.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the female HPC population if a partner after 20+ years starts letting their eyes 'wander' to the point of becoming unfaithful then, chances are, the other partner will likely have been doing something to contribute to that desire that leads to infidelity.

(NOTE I said partner not husband exclusively)

I note the article refers, in additon to husbands being unfaithful, to women 'lacking excittement'. Is that a euphemism for the same same this or do wives up and down the land, at a certain age, suddenly grow an urge to do loads of stuff that their husbands have no inclination to?

According to that article women divorce their husbands on the grounds that he's become "boring" and "old before his time". Divorce is presented as a reasonable response to a husband getting older.

I suspect that the advent of Gay Marriage will have a pretty levelling effect on the distribution of shared wealth and possessions after all divorces, especially when Children aren't involved although in this specific case the issues seem to stem from stupidly large mortgages.

Looking at the 'silver divorces' how on Earth do people manage to have huge mortgages into their 60s? They would have got on the housing ladder back in the days when houses were extremely affordable compared to today's prices and by that stage of their lives should have been mortgage free or at least have a only a small mortgage.

I was wondering if some of the separations came about in part due to financial pressure as a lifetime of borrow, borrow, and borrow again came home to roost. Maybe hubbie's "boringness" was brought on by a sudden "feck me, I'm the only one earning here, we have debts and no pensions - so we'd better lay off the city breaks, cava and new PCP car deals" realisation.

I was wondering if some of the separations came about in part due to financial pressure as a lifetime of borrow, borrow, and borrow again came home to roost. Maybe hubbie's "boringness" was brought on by a sudden "feck me, I'm the only one earning here, we have debts and no pensions - so we'd better lay off the city breaks, cava and new PCP car deals" realisation.

Are you saying when the money runs out love flies out the window.......what became of in sickness and in health, richer or poorer? ;)

Are you saying when the money runs out love flies out the window.......what became of in sickness and in health, richer or poorer? ;)

Hear hear!

BUT dontcha know that's such an old fashioned PC concept? It's all about 'me' today. Compromise? give and take? Who are you kidding

I saw Hillary Clinton say last week that women are main driver of the economy because they make the majority of purchases...

what became of in sickness and in health, richer or poorer? ;)

No one reads the EULA these days.

In fact, I wonder how many read the small print when taking out a mortgage

:D In a nutshell

This is the problem when house prices absolutely require two full-time incomes to pay the mortgage. It's when you have to pay the rent/mortgage on your own - THEN you realise how expensive housing in the UK is.

money is cheap until you have to earn any

money is cheap until you have to earn any

.....herein lies the bigger problem for many.....very difficult to earn any when never had to, priced out of both the job market and the housing market. :o

Indeed. Unless you're at the coalface of this or any issue for that matter like wage arbitrage caused by immigration you're not that bothered by it. How many of the millions of pro single mums do you think give a moments thought to house price inflation in the UK when they are rolling it in Housing Benefit for the next two decades (then hello Right To Buy).

No sympathy whatsoever for these women.

Hear hear!

BUT dontcha know that's such an old fashioned PC concept? It's all about 'me' today. Compromise? give and take? Who are you kidding

No one reads the EULA these days.

In fact, I wonder how many read the small print when taking out a mortgage

...... why bother to get married at all?......Nobody needs to get married to love and care and wish to stay with another in sickness and in health till death do they part......marriage is imo past its sell by date....nothing at all to do with love or commitment, more a legal financial contract. ;)

#FirstWorldProblems! :lol:

My ex once tried moaning to me about how hard it was being a single mother. Yeah right, you sack the gardener and are now moaning about the state of the garden. It was your decision so it's your problem.