House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gutter Clean Robot

I live in a mid terrace house, and I have never seen anyone clean their gutter out (except us!) in 5 years of living here. This means if the houses between us and the downpipe are clogged then water builds up and overflows even if our gutters are clean.

I am so tempted to get one of these so I can clean everyone's gutter on the sly (and flick the cr*p into their gardens too,l leaving them mystified the next morning!!!).

HSgHFo3.png

http://www.irobot.com/For-the-Home/Outdoor-Maintenance/Looj.aspx

Our window cleaner here will do the gutters if asked. Makes sense for him to be equipped for it, just as he is equipped to do upstairs windows from ground level.

My mate is in the window cleaning / gutter clearing business and i have worked for him on occasion.

He has a "gutter vac" on a long reach pole that is supposed to suck out all the debris in the gutters but in reality in blocks up within 30 seconds.

He says the best and quickest way is to go up on a ladder and scoop it out with your hands.

He has a camera pole that he sends up and shows the customer the debris in the gutter on a handheld monitor then they agree to pay for them to be cleaned out if they want it done.

That robot will probably go the same way i.e jam up or hit a blockage that sends the robot out over the gutter crashing to the ground.

It also must be very small? to fit in a gutter? so what sort of super powerful motor will it have to penetrate through thick moss / mud / dirt and growing weeds?

He says the best and quickest way is to go up on a ladder and scoop it out with your hands.?

How do you do that? I wouldn't like to lean a ladder against guttering (either plastic or cast iron), the weight won't do it much good, nor you if it goes while you're up there, and leaning the ladder against the wall under it probably involve too much leaning backwards for comfort.

How do you do that? I wouldn't like to lean a ladder against guttering (either plastic or cast iron), the weight won't do it much good, nor you if it goes while you're up there, and leaning the ladder against the wall under it probably involve too much leaning backwards for comfort.

Yes it is as you described VERY DANGEROUS and i would advise people not to attempt it.

I had a go at it and i didnt like it just felt way too risky, i actually fell out with my mate over it briefly.

He went up and cleared the entire gutter by hand in about 40seconds and left me looking stupid.

But the risk was too high for me.

Look at gutter vacum's on long reach poles you can do this from the ground, you may have to bring it down to unblock a few times but they do work.

There must be some way, small roof jobs get done without scaffolding or cherry pickers.

Does feeling what I described as uncomfortably dangerous mean that I actually support the whole health and safety thing that I normally decry?

edit: looks like it's done with legs on the top of the ladder so it sitcks out from the wall a bit. I think I'd be fine with that (assuming decent footing).

There must be some way, small roof jobs get done without scaffolding or cherry pickers.

Does feeling what I described as uncomfortably dangerous mean that I actually support the whole health and safety thing that I normally decry?

Yes it is one aspect of H&S that is very needed and warranted.

My mate does roof cleaning and coating (moss etc) he has operatives that use roof ladders that hook over the roof ridge and they harness themselves to it with lanyards. They are insured at considerable cost.

Too risky for me though so i stopped working for my mate after 3 days.

I used to be a H&S officer in a shipyard so i was paranoid about the working at height risk.

My mate would charge you circa £90 to clean your gutters out.

The only other real choice is to purchase a gutter vac for about £300 and you can do it all from the ground whenever you like.

In reality once you clear the huge pile of gunk & weeds up there you wont need to clean them for years.

EE7CEECC-897F-41C4-9C7E-423E0AAB1C71-lar

:rolleyes:

Guest eight

EE7CEECC-897F-41C4-9C7E-423E0AAB1C71-lar

:rolleyes:

Are you aware that your signature somewhat ironically claims "There is no ladder"?

Yes it is as you described VERY DANGEROUS and i would advise people not to attempt it.

I've been doing my mum and dad's gutters like that since the age of 12. Doing that every year or two is probably safer than habitually riding a motorbike (which seems popular on this forum), although maybe fear of heights that makes them particularly dangerous for some people.

Where's the "sewing machine leg"?

I would pay circa £90 and get someone in, save the whole risk.

The bit in the photo to keep it back from the gutter makes it look reasonably safe to me (if it's adjustable enough, I'd probably want to check its construction too, and the picture is possibly a bit too far back), enough that I'd be perfectly happy to go up there (as long as the footing is secure enough). Attaching with a harness sounds rather excessive (and I can't help wonder how likely you'd be to accidentally shift the ladder with one), although that would depend upon the job (if it needed both hands and some force for example).

I can't help wonder how much the whole "it's dangerous up ladders" thing comes from people being bloody stupid (leaning on gutters, sitting on soft ground, leaning to the side when up them etc.), leading to high costs or over-the-top alternatives for everyone else.

I've been doing my mum and dad's gutters like that since the age of 12. Doing that every year or two is probably safer than habitually riding a motorbike (which seems popular on this forum), although maybe fear of heights that makes them particularly dangerous for some people.

Fear of heights is an odd one. I used to know somehow who would never go up a ladder, occasionally even froze just on steep-ish ground, but would happily abseil down old mineshafts.

It is having to continiously move the ladder every couple of feet that is the problem.

Climb down / repostion 2 feet to the left then climb back up / clear another small section / repeat etc

This leads people to start overreaching either side and the subsequent weight shift slides the ladder out.

I hate ladders and working at height but I do it now and again.

A decent ladder is critical - one with and extended (wide) base section is much better together with stand off to access gutter line. Never over extend reaching to the side, move the ladder to the right position. I like gadgets but I bet that gutter robot would be stuffed if it came across the grit/debris/moss that you find on most guttters that are causing problems, let alone growing vegetation and roots niding it all together - that robot would stand no chance.

Having said that modern aluminium scaffold is great and with that can set up and do all sorts of jobs at the same time - windows, guttering, paintwork, stonework and minor roof work in one fell swoop.

It is having to continiously move the ladder every couple of feet that is the problem.

Climb down / repostion 2 feet to the left then climb back up / clear another small section / repeat etc

This leads people to start overreaching either side and the subsequent weight shift slides the ladder out.

I was just writing that as you posted, yes, that is the way people fall off ladders - they spin round quick when they go.

Guest eight

I have used something similar while cleaning gutters. Works fine.

One of the many jobs my wife wouldn't do :D

Could be a good thread topic - "Things my wife won't do".