House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Jury Service Frightmare

Sorry, no juicy murders or dodgy bankers and I couldn't say even if there were, but was summoned for jury service some weeks ago, and for some reason had it fixed in my head that it was starting next Monday. Instead of which, realised nearly 3 hours after I should have been there, that it was today. Charged out in complete panic, having grabbed passport for ID but forgotten my purse, thinking I would be clapped in irons or something, at least a hefty fine for contempt of court.

As it happened, nobody turned a hair. Major phew. Stacks of would be jurors sitting around, mostly called in dribs and drabs for various courts (12) but several of us were never called and were told by 3.45 that we could go home.

Was surprised by large comfortable waiting area, books and mags, even a load of jigsaws! Though had been warned that there could be a lot of sitting about.

Having forgotten purse could not even get a coffee, but at least there was water.

Will at least be able to buy myself a sandwich tomorrow.

Do you have to go back? I did jury service a year or two ago. About 50 of us arrived at 10am on a Monday, sat about, then got sent home in the afternoon. Similar things happened for a few days, then they finally got round to selecting a jury on the Thursday. I ended up on the jury but fortunately the trial wasn't very long and we were done by the Friday afternoon. Not the most exciting week of my life (which is saying a lot...).

I didn't get on a single case. Tedious hanging around and then being sent home. Better than being at work and at least my employer pays full wage during service (or at least the first two weeks).

Sorry, no juicy murders or dodgy bankers and I couldn't say even if there were, but was summoned for jury service some weeks ago, and for some reason had it fixed in my head that it was starting next Monday. Instead of which, realised nearly 3 hours after I should have been there, that it was today. Charged out in complete panic, having grabbed passport for ID but forgotten my purse, thinking I would be clapped in irons or something, at least a hefty fine for contempt of court.

As it happened, nobody turned a hair. Major phew. Stacks of would be jurors sitting around, mostly called in dribs and drabs for various courts (12) but several of us were never called and were told by 3.45 that we could go home.

Was surprised by large comfortable waiting area, books and mags, even a load of jigsaws! Though had been warned that there could be a lot of sitting about.

Having forgotten purse could not even get a coffee, but at least there was water.

Did they send the jury summons by recorded delivery?

Did they send the jury summons by recorded delivery?

Nope.

Do you have to go back? I did jury service a year or two ago. About 50 of us arrived at 10am on a Monday, sat about, then got sent home in the afternoon. Similar things happened for a few days, then they finally got round to selecting a jury on the Thursday. I ended up on the jury but fortunately the trial wasn't very long and we were done by the Friday afternoon. Not the most exciting week of my life (which is saying a lot...).

It's for 2 weeks, and could possibly be longer. It's a big Crown Court in SW London and I would guess is usually pretty busy.

I hope to God it won't go over the 2 weeks since I look after baby granddaughter one day a week and it's not easy for my daughter to find alternative care.

Not sent by recorded delivery?

Throw it away if you like - no way to prove you received it.

My younger brother used to be a jury 'wrassler' (what I called it) at a Crown Court. That won't work.

Nearly 50, no convictions, and still never been asked.

I concluded some time ago that my name's on some secret list.

My younger brother used to be a jury 'wrassler' (what I called it) at a Crown Court. That won't work.

It does if you move house.

Nah they are waiting for you to register self employed and get to a critical point in your career and then nail you with a 6 monther...

It's for 2 weeks, and could possibly be longer. It's a big Crown Court in SW London and I would guess is usually pretty busy.

I hope to God it won't go over the 2 weeks since I look after baby granddaughter one day a week and it's not easy for my daughter to find alternative care.

It's unlimited. There's a small risk you could be tied up for months or even years. And (unlike any villain you might convict) you have no time off for good behaviour.

Maybe you should equip yourself with a printout of this.

Nearly 50, no convictions, and still never been asked.

I concluded some time ago that my name's on some secret list.

Most people that I know have never been called for jury service including people in their 70s; it's much rarer than you would think. I haven't.

But I know some who have been called twice and one who, for totally legitimate reasons, was allowed to be excused. And then was called the next year.

Jury service seems to be like a cat; it seeks out the unwilling ones.

I can assure you that it does work.

Yep - they state on letters that it's an offence not to turn up. That's fine and dandy - would love to see them prove it in court though with zero evidence.

:)

Anyway - easiest thing to get out of - just tell them once they come out and show you the person you think you may have used to drink with them years ago.

If your a bevvier like myself - its not even a full lie as its entirely possible !!

Come off the electoral roll and avoid the risk altogether.

"Electoral roll" - what a quaint, old fashioned notion from a more innocent time. It's now the "electoral register". The law changed a while ago to expand its use to include: "elections, preventing and detecting crime, and checking applications for loans or credit".

Oh, and it's compulsory to be on it now[1]. Think of it more as a particularly evil incarnation of the ditched National ID card; the govt holds all the data, there's no opt out (let alone opt in), and you don't even get a nice plastic card.

[1] Sort of. You get fined £80 if you don't register when requested to.

Oh, and it's compulsory to be on it now[1].

Is that part of the changes that happened sometime between 2005 and 2015?

Enfranchising tenants who have recently moved house (rather than, as before, making us wait a year to vote) could help a little with tenants' interests.

Guest eight

How do they know you haven't registered, unless there's a register of the register?

IIRC, it was the Electoral Registration and Admin Act 2013. I think it brought in monthly updates to the register, individual (rather than head of household) registration, and individual compulsion.

A friend (a teacher) got called for coroners court jury service and did a harrowing case about a teacher who committed suicide.

My dad told them he hated everyone and couldn't be trusted not to send someone down just cos he didn't like the look of them.