House Price Crash Forum

Battle Of The Planets Or Gatchaman Science Ninja Team

HOLA441

So you probably have to be 40 to remember this, but the series Battle of Planets that was shown in the UK in the early 80s, is actually based on a Japanese Anime first created in 1972 called Gatchaman Science Ninja Team.

The Battle of Planets version was somewhat cut to remove excess violence and a stupid hybrid of R2-D2 / CP3O called 7-Zark-7 was added as a filler and narrator to cover the cuts parts and soften any violence shown.

Anyway there is a newer 2013 version available on US BluRay, so I've ordered a copy for my 2 boys, fortunately we have a multi-region and NTSC capable BluRay player. The newer version is truer to the original and so will spare my kids the disappointment I felt when ever 7-Zark-7 appeared.

The animation and plot are brilliant (re-watched some on YouTube) and the newer dub is very good.

Anyone else have fond memories?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Unfortunately, allowing your kids to watch "Battle Of The Planets" these days is probably a form of abuse in some social justice warrior's tiny mind.

Better play it safe and watch something wholesome like 'Boro Pat instead...

;)

XYY

HOLA448

Yes, agree it isn't very modern BBC with it various quotas and safe space nonsense from incoming graduates.

Growing up in the 1970/80s kids were much less shielded and to some degree there was still a lot of momentum/overhang from the war jingoism of the 1940s. Boys comics still had war heroes and dangerous situations, and kids went out unsupervised and did dangerous things - well I certainly did.

Now the most risk they'll get is the balloons not turning up for the children's party on Postman Pat.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I don't think it was shown that many times. Very early 80s I recall, or may be very late 1970s.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yes, agree it isn't very modern BBC with it various quotas and safe space nonsense from incoming graduates.

Growing up in the 1970/80s kids were much less shielded and to some degree there was still a lot of momentum/overhang from the war jingoism of the 1940s. Boys comics still had war heroes and dangerous situations, and kids went out unsupervised and did dangerous things - well I certainly did.

Now the most risk they'll get is the balloons not turning up for the children's party on Postman Pat.

Thank goodness it's changed, it's all much better now that we have to be uber-cautious about everything. It saves the odd life after all.

HOLA4413

Thank goodness it's changed, it's all much better now that we have to be uber-cautious about everything. It saves the odd life after all.

At cub camp this weekend the district officials taped off a patch of gravel, because if the kids fell over there they might graze their knees. I thought a large part of the underlying purpose of the camp was to teach them to take more responsibility for themselves and perhaps to toughen up a bit.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm 37 in June and can't remember that at all. I do remember this however:

I've just bought the DVD box set for Ulysses 31 in English and French. Thought I'd cover off the Classic Homeric tale and a French lesson for the kids in one sitting.

HOLA4416

Archived