House Price Crash Forum
Bland Unsight

Reality Goes Daily Mash - Btl Vicar

This story in the Daily Express is completely totally awesome, apologies if it has been flagged already somewhere on HP&TE but I think it really deserves its own thread, Landlord making tenants homeless blasts Osborne's 'immoral' property tax, from 27 April, (tip of the hat to @errmm on the twitters for flagging it).

The entire article is outstanding, but resisting the temptation to just quote all off it, but this will do for a start:

From next year, owners of rental properties will have a number of tax perks axed, leaving many landlords with little option but to sell up.

It is tenants who are set to suffer the devastating consequences of the changes hardest.
Chaplain William Ruddle, 40, currently owns nine properties in Essex, Lincolnshire and Wales, which he bought at auction over the past eight years.
The father of two charges rent that is around 10 to 15 per cent below market, partly because of his social conscience and also to attract long-term, good quality tenants.
The set-up has worked well to date.
Reverend Ruddle's low-income tenants, who include cleaners and pensioners, can afford the costs and he has been able to generate a steady income at a time of ultra low interest rates.
But the Baptist minister now has to sell at least three or four of the homes, as a result of the tax changes.
In the remaining properties, the father of two will hike rents.
Tenants will either be left homeless or with higher monthly bills.
Along with the millions of buy-to-let owners, the amount of tax relief Reverend Ruddle can claim against costs, such as mortgage interest, is to gradually be reduced to the basic rate of income tax of 20 per cent from next April.
The change was announced in George Osborne's 2015 Summer Budget.
It comes with changes to wear and tear allowance allowance, which had been equal to 10 per cent of rents but has been replaced with a new system where landlords have to deduct the exact amount of replacing furnishings.
In practice, it means Reverend Ruddle's buy-to-let portfolio will go from producing a current income of around £15,000 a year to less than £500 by 2020.
(Emphasis added)
The poor chap!
GIF-crying-money-Jim-Carrey-Dumb-and-Dum

It just gets better from there, the pictures are priceless and the comments are also top drawer with some very aggrieved posting from the BTL brigade.

JustMyOpinion

And you can be so sure of this how? I despise keyboard warriors who write posts on subjects they clearly know so little about nearly as much as the brainless numpties that up-arrow their silly, ignorant comments.

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

Astonishing.

I am as interested in UK property as the next man, provided the next man is equally deranged by an all-consuming obsession, but even I draw the line at having a bunch of to let signs behind the sofa.

william-ruddle-664570.jpg

Also - what were the odds on them both being separated at birth from their twins and their twins also going on to marry?

league460.jpg

LOL. How long did they have to search for him for.

ONE Landlord out of millions (claims) to charge under market rate (as if housing is a standardized product) so a law applying to millions is invalid

In the current market doesn't "10% - 15% below market rate" just mean "hasn't raised rents for a couple of years"? Hardly the greatest mark of philanthropy imaginable, and more likely just good business sense if one has good tenants.

If the Rev has not created a business that can endure a removal of state aid then it is a risk to the economy, not a contributor to it.

His profit goes from 15,000 to 500. Doesn't he have a conscience? He can still house his tenants and make 500 a year. He's a chaplain for gods sake. And a greedy scumbag it seems..

On an aside 7 properties 15,000 income, massive debt risk, what a joke of an investment, clearly not a business man at all lol

Edited by GreenDevil

I'm surprised they haven't called for the government to ban DEATH*. I mean who is going to house all the renter scum when the landlords die and all their houses are buried with them?

* - for landlords only.

The father of two charges rent that is around 10 to 15 per cent below market, partly because of his social conscience and also to attract long-term, good quality tenants.

:lol::lol::lol:

Life's a bitch, ain't it Reverend? What's the world coming to when the money lenders will play but the Treasury piss all over your people farming "business"? You should smite them or something.

ruddle-522764.jpg

I love everything about this photo. As best I can see, the plane of focus is about two to three feet behind the subject's face. I love the perhaps accidental allusion to some strands of Crucifixion art history.

CRISTO-in-croce-Reni4D41B4-1024x686.jpg

The Christ looks up to the heavens. The Rev looks away from the camera, but not exactly up, as if his gaze is torn between heaven and lucre. "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

But most of all, I f**king love the dusty laptop! Does that bad boy look like somebody is running a business? :rolleyes:

When will the Wing Commander give us chapter and verse on his finances and when will Steve Pot-plant be doing the same - or is it just going to be Con-me Chuck, then Surely I'm Desperate and then the Reverend Rogered, each offered up in turn as a second layer of Operation Human Shield now that the #tenanttax BS is dead on arrival.

Edited by Ghost Bird

He's just like Jesus....

Jesus took an equally unequivocal stand at times. Matthew 12:30: “Whoever is not with me is against me, whoever does not gather with me, scatters.”

Maybe we need more politicians like Jesus, who knew where he stood, didn’t mince his words and who ultimately called us to either stand with him or against. Gather or scatter? Choose you must.

Source :- http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/local/thought-for-the-week-we-need-politicians-with-conviction-it-is-time-to-either-gather-or-scatter-1-7198807

Is this a man who stands with Jesus or scatters... to satan?

My situation I am an ordained Baptist Minister (i.e. a reverend) My
Customer Question
My situation:
I am an ordained Baptist Minister (i.e. a reverend)
My wife and I have a portfolio of 8 BTL properties plus our main residential home which we own with a mortgage.
I understand that my main residence is exempt from CGT exposure as a result of Principal Private Residence Relief and, when we let it in the future, Private Residential Relief (up to £40,000 each).
Therefore my question is this: As my current home (house 1) is exempt thanks to PPRR, can I on moving into the church accomodation, elect for one of my BTL properties to be regarded as my new principle private residence?
Obviously in such a circumstances, the PPR relief would only apply from this point forward, not to historic CGT accrued - but it would make a significant difference if this is possible.

"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's". Who said that?

Rev. William Ruddle, 38, from Ashtead, took out an £8k loan to renovate a number of rental properties:
“Being in tied accommodation, over the years I have developed a significant source of rental income from a number of properties that I own, and to keep this income coming in I wanted to update the properties and do some renovations. When I approached the banks for a loan to enable me to do this, they wouldn’t consider me. Peer-to-peer lending wasn’t something that I was considering until I came across the idea online, after which I thought it was worth a look.”

Source :- http://www.altfi.com/article/0381_diy_brits_flock_to_peer_to_peer_lending

Ezekiel 18:13 ESV / 72 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
Lends at interest, and takes profit; shall he then live? He shall not live. He has done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon himself.
Leviticus 25:37 ESV / 48 helpful votes
You shall not lend him your money at interest, nor give him your food for profit.
Deuteronomy 23:19 ESV / 44 helpful votes
“You shall not charge interest on loans to your brother, interest on money, interest on food, interest on anything that is lent for interest.
Leviticus 25:35-37 ESV / 43 helpful votes
“If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you. You shall not lend him your money at interest, nor give him your food for profit.
Ezekiel 22:12 ESV / 38 helpful votes
In you they take bribes to shed blood; you take interest and profit and make gain of your neighbors by extortion; but me you have forgotten, declares the Lord God.
Ezekiel 18:8 ESV / 36 helpful votes
Does not lend at interest or take any profit, withholds his hand from injustice, executes true justice between man and man,
Luke 6:35 ESV / 35 helpful votes
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.
Leviticus 25:36 ESV / 30 helpful votes
Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you.
Ezekiel 18:17 ESV / 27 helpful votes
Withholds his hand from iniquity, takes no interest or profit, obeys my rules, and walks in my statutes; he shall not die for his father's iniquity; he shall surely live.
Proverbs 28:8 ESV / 26 helpful votes
Whoever multiplies his wealth by interest and profit gathers it for him who is generous to the poor.
Proverbs 22:7 ESV / 26 helpful votes
The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.
Psalm 15:5 ESV / 26 helpful votes
Who does not put out his money at interest and does not take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be moved.
Matthew 25:27 ESV / 25 helpful votes
Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest.
Psalm 112:5-6 ESV / 25 helpful votes
It is well with the man who deals generously and lends; who conducts his affairs with justice. For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever.
Deuteronomy 15:7-11 ESV / 21 helpful votes
“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be. Take care lest there be an unworthy thought in your heart and you say, ‘The seventh year, the year of release is near,’ and your eye look grudgingly on your poor brother, and you give him nothing, and he cry to the Lord against you, and you be guilty of sin. You shall give to him freely, and your heart shall not be grudging when you give to him, because for this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake. For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’

Oh dear. Here we have a 'man of god' living in a free house, buying up other houses to rent out to poor people, for profit. Jesus wept!

Edited by XswampyX

Nice work, XswampyX.

I'm struggling to fit the pieces together. If he's making £15k pa on the BTL portfolio, and he's salaried living rent free in church digs, why does he need to get a loan to do £8k of work? And why won't the bank lend?

I am sure there is a perfectly good explanation for all this.

The dusty laptop remains unexplained.

I told you these stories would start showing up but never did I think reality would be this farcical.

A Vicar. Oh my Lord, if this is the start just think what other revelations from allsorts we are likely to see.

I love the fact that the irony is completely lost on all of them. Hilarious.

There's something about propordee that turns people upside down.

Vicar Rachman.

Shelter lawyer slumlord.

One of the biggest LL - and vocal - BTLers is a train driver. Leading light in the left and fight against capitalist scum by day. At nights he's throwing tenants out and telling their meagre possessions.

A lots down to most Bits not being to work with percentages, or having any idea of how a business operates. All facilated by a number of banks desperate to piss away their capital.

Edited by spyguy

:lol::lol::lol:

Life's a bitch, ain't it Reverend? What's the world coming to when the money lenders will play but the Treasury piss all over your people farming "business"? You should smite them or something.

He's tending his flock.

Hang on, Cherie Blair is leading the judicial review into BTL tax changes?

I mean, WTF? Why not get Goebbels to lead the Nuremberg trials?

I think she's acting for the landlords.

Well at least with him being a christian were allowed to take the piss.

If he was from an "alternative" faith you would have had the rozzers around by now, banging on about hate speech and all that b@llocks

Christians acknowledge they were born sinners. ;)

Yeah, definitely something lacking, as with all god botherers

Maybe his superiors in the church are none too impressed with him. Having some BTLs means that he has less time to think about Higher Matters.

I see the supply/demand mantra got wheeled out in the comments. Haven't we seen houses per capita increase over the last 20 years?

Prices increased in Scotland even when the population was decreasing. It's availability of credit which is the main factor in driving house prices I reckon. If there were no mortgages tomorrow and everyone had to buy in cash I think the average house price would be well under £100K.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Prices increased in Scotland even when the population was decreasing. It's availability of credit which is the main factor in driving house prices I reckon. If there were no mortgages tomorrow and everyone had to buy in cash I think the average house price would be well under £100K.

Amazing but true.

The general population will spend as much as they can borrow on a house.

Amazing but true.

The general population will spend as much as they can borrow on a house.

Very true....so can't earn it, can't save it, not given it......who can buy it, who would want to buy it?.....who will pay the rents?