House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Benefits Cap Being Reduced From £26K To £20K (London £23K)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3578279/Benefits-cap-slashed-26-000-20-000-family-Claimants-told-jobs-handouts-cut.html

• New benefits cap will come into force this autumn following Tory reforms
  • DWP secretary warns unemployed must make finding work a priority
  • 22,000 people have stopped claiming since cap was introduced in 2013
  • The new cap was announced by George Osborne in his Budget last year

Parents of families who rely on benefit handouts are being warned they must find work as their claiming limit will be slashed this autumn.

At the moment, families can receive up to £26,000 a year in benefits but that total is set to be cut to £23,000 in London and £20,000 in the rest of the country under new Conservative reforms.

And last night the Work and Pensions Secretary Stephen Crabb warned that people need to do everything they can to find work.

He said: 'We are going further to ensure the amount that out-of-work people can claim better reflects the circumstances of many hard-working families.

'With the new cap coming into force in the autumn, now is the time for people to take action'.

The department yesterday published new figures on benefits claimants showing that the number of people claiming has dropped.

22,000 people have stopped claiming benefits since the £26,000 cap was introduced in summer 2013.

A further 11,500 are not claiming as much as they did.

Luckily the recovery is booming and there are plenty of jobs.....

Will this be another nail in the coffin of BTL as benefit claimants may start struggling to meet rent payments? Although this has to be a worry for councils as many could see a surge in demand for social housing. Have other councils a similar policy to Sheffield who will now only house people who already live in the City or have a local connection?

Edit missed the figures:

Treasury figures show the saving resulting from the benefit cap is far from insignificant. The existing cap is saving £185million a year and the new one will save an additional half a billion a year by 2020.

Considering George is still spending like mad the savings are irrelevant.

Edited by interestrateripoff

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3578279/Benefits-cap-slashed-26-000-20-000-family-Claimants-told-jobs-handouts-cut.html

Luckily the recovery is booming and there are plenty of jobs.....

Will this be another nail in the coffin of BTL as benefit claimants may start struggling to meet rent payments? Although this has to be a worry for councils as many could see a surge in demand for social housing. Have other councils a similar policy to Sheffield who will now only house people who already live in the City or have a local connection?

Edit missed the figures:

Considering George is still spending like mad the savings are irrelevant.

Most ppole on working age benfits, mainly tax credits, have been spared nay pain or suffering.

They've carried on as if it was 2005 and Brown needed them to vote for him to be president for life.

This is about the only thing that impacts people claiming existing benefits (assuming they are doing no work at all)..

I remember watching a program regarding the housing benefits office (I think) in Brent where people were finally accepting that they had to find work..

I guess so as it is always NEW, never exisiting .... and even then the tories will probably U turn on this as well ......

The last cut in overall entitlement appliedto everyone...

I can recall the outrage in the mumsnet threads and in the QT audiences.......

Anyway are not these things reassessed every now and again? Housing benefit and the rest would simply be assessed down to fit in with the new limits.

First step, limit overall benefits to £26,000.

Second step, cut down from £26K to 23K.

Third step anyone ? Next spring, £23K to £20K London and £18K shires?

It's sad to see so many 'enjoying' the destruction of the welfare state.... I hope you don't fall on bad times and need it.

This is about the only thing that impacts people claiming existing benefits (assuming they are doing no work at all)..I remember watching a program regarding the housing benefits office (I think) in Brent where people were finally accepting that they had to find work..

Exactly - very few people outside London are materially affected by the cap as rents are lower so housing benefit payments are lower too.

Easy way to avoid the benefits cap in London therefore - get a job!

It's sad to see so many 'enjoying' the destruction of the welfare state.... I hope you don't fall on bad times and need it.

Who destroyed it? The government or the fat lazy f**kers who have been taking the pi$$ for the last 40 years?

Exactly.

Pretty sure that doesn't include TC's. A family member is still taking in +40k tax free (until the kids grow up, then poverty awaits)

When the money has been spent.....who will pay the rent?

Who destroyed it? The government or the fat lazy f**kers who have been taking the pi$$ for the last 40 years?

Exactly.

Both, although I would say it was previous governments destroyed it by letting people take the mick. As true of most disasters Gordon Brown has a lot to answer for in not letting Frank Field reform it in 1997.

....doesn't take long before children are no longer children, all child benefits are then gone... ;)

I don't know about that I know a pro single mum who will probably get 25 years out of it. Obviously not a brilliant stratergy but she is very lazy and very feckless.

Sadly in the UK these can be winning tactics

Both, although I would say it was previous governments destroyed it by letting people take the mick. As true of most disasters Gordon Brown has a lot to answer for in not letting Frank Field reform it in 1997.

I knowquite a lot of parents in their mid--30s who have never held down what I'd regard as a full-time job.

Their kids will leave school soon, leaving them, at the grand old age of 40, to support themsleves for the first time in their life.

A truly fcking insane situation.

I knowquite a lot of parents in their mid--30s who have never held down what I'd regard as a full-time job.

Their kids will leave school soon, leaving them, at the grand old age of 40, to support themsleves for the first time in their life.

I know plenty like that.....it is not insane it is choices..... ;)

I'm sure nanny will come to the rescue!