House Price Crash Forum

Self Build House For £1,500...

HOLA441

...in Sri Lanka according to Radio 4 this morning.

A UK charity founded by ex pat Sri Lankans is assisting people to build new homes in the wake of the Tsunami.

The houses are fairly large typically with 2 bedrooms, a large kitchen and living space plus a roofed veranda.

The houses are permanent structures constructed of brick and tile.

The owners can have pretty much any design they like though the budget is £1,500.

Makes you think eh? :huh:

HOLA442

A UK charity founded by ex pat Sri Lankans is assisting people to build new homes in the wake of the Tsunami.

The houses are fairly large typically with 2 bedrooms, a large kitchen and living space plus a roofed veranda.

The owners can have pretty much any design they like though the budget is £1,500.

Zero land cost, I expect.

And how many year's wages does 1500 UK pounds represent in Sri Lanka?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Zero land cost, I expect.

And how many year's wages does 1500 UK pounds represent in Sri Lanka?

Under 3. Average wage is £2.15 per day (or thereabout depending on exchange rates) so I make that £559 per annum.

HOLA445

Under 3. Average wage is £2.15 per day (or thereabout depending on exchange rates) so I make that £559 per annum.

Fair enough.

If the charity can get past the misallocation problem (Sri Lanka is very corrupt at the local level) these houses look like a pretty good deal. And I would imagine there will be significant use of local labour, with all the attendant multiplier effects to help the local economy.

Nice effort that group! Some folks are going to get one heck of a Christmas (or whatever is more appropriate to the local religion(s)) present.

HOLA446

Does anyone have a link for the charity? Seems like a good cause.

HOLA447