House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Recommend Me An Amplifier

I currently have an old pair of Tangent Monitor 9 speakers. I don't know the technical name but they're what I believe are referred to as bi wired ? Instead of two wires it has four per speaker. My Marantz amp is old and tatty. The CD player won't play much. I did list the speakers and separates on eBay, but I've pulled the auction as I can't bear to part with the speakers. So I want to get a cheap used amp and be able to play stuff via a PC. Any basic advice please ? Thanks in advance.

Biwireable simply means extra sets of posts on the rear, whether they are biwired or not is up to you (assuming the jumper bars are in your posession). Even if you don't have the jumpers you can just strip the speaker cable back further and run it through both posts if you want/need to single wire them.

Which Marantz amp do you have? Unless it is broken it is likely ok, and presumably you are using it to biwire your speakers now? Apologies if that's what you meant in your OP. if you want a new amp you need not necessarily get one with two sets of posts/channel.

For PC hookup, have you seen this device? Chromecast audio, 15 quid at Currys:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/google-chromecast-audio-10137628-pdt.html?hl=en-GB

You would simply get a 3.5mm to phono plugs cable and insert it in one of the free line-level (ie anything but the record player input) inputs and set it up via a free app. Needs a power supply too. I have one sitting in a mail depot, having missed delivery yesterday, so can't yet comment on it, but for 15 quid it can allow you to 'cast' wireless audio from your PC/tablet etc. Might be all you need to start with.

Multiroom support is apparently in the pipeline too, so the expensive multiroom controller stuff from various manufacturers could become redundant pretty quick.

If you require a new amp, I'd say keep an eye on a local branch of Richer sounds' clearance stock (join their 'VIP Club' via online registration for a further 10% discount on any clearance items).

Search by local branch, often decent bargains to be had:

http://www.richersounds.com/clearance

EditEdit, and Edit again! Mr Pin knows best, hopefully he'll be along soon enough...

If I was after a cheap amp I'd get one of the t-class (really d-class) amplifiers on ebay - search for ta2020 or tpa3116. I have a feeling that the 2020 is the original approach, and the 3116 is the newer higher power and better quality one - but look it up yourself as there are lots of reviews out there.

Apparently amazing sound quality for £20-30 - assuming you get one which is made properly...

eds - and I agree about the chromecast - not least because the DAC on your computer will probably be noisy and poor (once you wire it up to quality equipment), and the chromecast will have much better sound quality... But note that it won't cast local files (IIRC), so if you've got a pile of mp3s to play then it might not be the best approach. An alternative would be to get one of the usb preamplifiers / dacs out there (cheap enough to get from China), which would probably work well enough.

Not sure whats so good about those speakers but they don't look particularly great, I take it they sound better than they look. I'd get a set of modern actives with bluetooth built in or a chromecast audio and build a cloud based library via google or subscribe to a service. Plenty of other ways but that's my recommend.

If I was after a cheap amp I'd get one of the t-class (really d-class) amplifiers on ebay - search for ta2020 or tpa3116. I have a feeling that the 2020 is the original approach, and the 3116 is the newer higher power and better quality one - but look it up yourself as there are lots of reviews out there.

Apparently amazing sound quality for £20-30 - assuming you get one which is made properly...

Yes, I have a TPA3116 and a TA2020, the TPA3116 sounds better.

Here's one ready-built:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPA3116-Mini-Integrated-amp-HiFi-2-0-Stereo-Digital-Audio-Power-Amplifier-50WX2-/271648077709

But if your current amp works, it should be fine. Amp technology hasn't really moved anywhere since the 80s.

Yes, I have a TPA3116 and a TA2020, the TPA3116 sounds better.

Here's one ready-built:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPA3116-Mini-Integrated-amp-HiFi-2-0-Stereo-Digital-Audio-Power-Amplifier-50WX2-/271648077709

But if your current amp works, it should be fine. Amp technology hasn't really moved anywhere since the 80s.

Come on - back in the 80s we were only at AB-class. We've progressed to T now.

[thanks for the info on the 3116 - I might get one]

eds - and I agree about the chromecast - not least because the DAC on your computer will probably be noisy and poor (once you wire it up to quality equipment), and the chromecast will have much better sound quality... But note that it won't cast local files (IIRC), so if you've got a pile of mp3s to play then it might not be the best approach. An alternative would be to get one of the usb preamplifiers / dacs out there (cheap enough to get from China), which would probably work well enough.

Interesting about local files and the Chromecast audio. Also worth noting that the chromecast audio has an optical output (which I'll be using) too. Impressive stuff, on paper anyway..

Come on - back in the 80s we were only at AB-class. We've progressed to T now.

[thanks for the info on the 3116 - I might get one]

More likely better SNR and less distortion with an AB.

Class T uses less power and is cheaper, but they're still developing.

Many say Class T has a sound reminiscent of valve amps, probably because of their distortion profile.

Seems like a bit of a game changer. My non-smart telly has been transformed with a Chromecast, which I also use for audio at times, but having the telly powered on to do it is a less handy than a device that turns any amp/active speaker into a wireless streaming device. As I understand it, for the price of a Chromecast audio you effectively have a DAB+internet radio added to your system. Seems pretty good value.

More likely better SNR and less distortion with an AB.

I do find the perception of sound quality interesting. Logically I want to follow the idea of the pure amplifier - takes the input and translates exactly to the output, but with more power (say, voltage & low output impedance), but if blinded I prefer a sound which is all over the place (both in terms of frequency response/harmonics and added phase problems)... It is all a bit moot, however, as these days I find compression artefacts too annoying.

Off topic, sorry for the hijack, my CD player packed up, I have amp and speakers, anyone recommend a new CD player that I can connect up to a external USB drive or wifi as well and play mp3s? Cheers,

Are we talking just sound systems or AV amplifiers?

I have 5 speakers, but a 7 channel amp. So I use the bi-amp option for the front speakers.

Actually I dont think it makes much difference. Obviously potentially twice the power. But BI-wiring is ju-ju IMPO, invented by cable salesmen.

Stick to a known brand I guess, read the reviews, and there are some fine bargains out there.

Richer Sounds are well recommended for mid range stuff, as I just dont believe in £2k amplifiers. :huh:

Marantz, Yamaha, and Onkyo come to my mind as good brands. My AV system MUST be good at music, in 2 channel mode, which is why I opt for large front speakers, but no sub-woofer. The number of options/features varies with price, amd personally I don't stream MP3s from an ipod so I don't need blue tooth or wifi. You probably don't need a lot of clever video processing in the amplifier. The blu Ray player will do that better.

What's wrong with the CD player?

Have you greased the rails that the laser runs on and cleaned the lens?

That has fixed several faulty CD players for me.

I got a hankering for some classic Sansui Speakers...when I am working again, I might seek out a pair, and an amp.

Think hard before getting a T-Amp.

Seriously good value starting at 30 quid or less. What could go wrong?

The fact that it shows up the flaws in the rest of your system is what can go wrong.

£3k later, the rest of my system is now worthy of the T-Amp.

If you take the player apart, you will find that the laser moves along a rail/track.

Over time these can dry out, which means that when the motor tries to move the lens it stutters along the track and the music skips.

If you clean it up and apply a little lithium grease, it may fix the problem.

I have a Marantz CD53 which I regreased about 5 years ago after it started skipping when playing the beginning of the CD, and it's still working.

Thanks for the input. Bit tired and fuming about the new Mayor,so I'll be brief. In reference to the speakers,they are old fashioned but to my old ears they sound okay. I was advised that using all four wires per speaker was very important but I gather this is not the case ? The Marantz amp works but it's quite imposing and tatty.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=75sr1010&rlz=1C1ASUT_enGB673GB674&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=641&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP9ueOnsbMAhWHAsAKHYT3Du8QsAQIKg

The CD player is also tatty and I can't be doing with CD's anyway. I don't really want to stream stuff or subscribe. I'm more into flac on a local disc or MP3. So I guess it's an amp with usb.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Digital-Headphone/dp/B00J9BG5HS

Cheaper on eBay.

Being really thick. How do I connect the speaker wires ? Do I need the banana plugs ? Thanks again,

Thanks for the input. Bit tired and fuming about the new Mayor,so I'll be brief. In reference to the speakers,they are old fashioned but to my old ears they sound okay. I was advised that using all four wires per speaker was very important but I gather this is not the case ? The Marantz amp works but it's quite imposing and tatty.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=75sr1010&rlz=1C1ASUT_enGB673GB674&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=641&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP9ueOnsbMAhWHAsAKHYT3Du8QsAQIKg

The CD player is also tatty and I can't be doing with CD's anyway. I don't really want to stream stuff or subscribe. I'm more into flac on a local disc or MP3. So I guess it's an amp with usb.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Digital-Headphone/dp/B00J9BG5HS

Cheaper on eBay.

Being really thick. How do I connect the speaker wires ? Do I need the banana plugs ? Thanks again,

Is that thing really an amplifier that works speakers? You can usually connect speakers with banana plugs or spade terminals.

I'm getting a Gramofon to stream Spotify and other stuff to my amp without needing a PC. Unlike the Chromecast, it gets its data direct from the network/Internet rather than the controlling device

You have lost me with technobabble! My radiogram looks nothing like this.