One For The Men.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Safety's fairly wide. You have the disposables, disposable headed, and traditional safety razor.

The nearest I gave come to knowing somebody who uses a cut throat razor is reading Thomas Covenant.

Me too, but check out the poll in this article....... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/11477964/A-close-shave-my-cut-throat-razor-disaster.html

HOLA448
HOLA449

I've used that super duper 5 blade thing from Gillette for about the last 10 years, but recently decided I'd had enough of shaving, so I just use the stubble trimmer on an old electric I have. Quick run over every couple of days and I look reasonably tidy without any of the effort of doing it properly. Happy days so far.

HOLA4410

I think they're just giving the article a thumbs up; it's very well written.

And it has also successfully put me off my vague aspiration to own a cut throat razor for leisurely weekend shaving.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I have been using fairy liquid instead of shaving foam for the past 2 years and it is much better than any shaving foam/gel.

I ran out of gel and needed a shave, so tried the fairy liquid and it is perfect.

I have been waiting for a chance to confess this.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Used a rip-you-off-on-the-blades disposable safety razor for many years now. I used to use an electric until it broke and I could only find a razor in a hurry, and found it superior in ever way - much quicker, less irritation, and a much better shave. Perhaps that was just because I used a rubbish electric but I've not seen any reason to change back.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I think they're just giving the article a thumbs up; it's very well written.

And it has also successfully put me off my vague aspiration to own a cut throat razor for leisurely weekend shaving.

Many years ago I thought about trying out a cut throat razor. The only man I knew who I thought might be old enough to have used one was my aged grandfather, so I asked him what he thought of cut throat razors.

He told me he'd tried it once. Picked up the razor, put it to his face, badly cut himself, put it straight back down, and never picked up a cut throat razor again.

I decided not to bother. Some things go out of fashion because they're genuinely replace by something that works better.

I'm currently a very happy user of an old school single blade safety razor. The more modern cartridge type aren't for me, as I'm prone to ingrowing hairs and they seem to work in a way that makes that much worse.

HOLA4417

I decided not to bother. Some things go out of fashion because they're genuinely replace by something that works better.

I imagine that they're no worse with practice, but since safety razors do the same job with much less practice... I can't see the character etc. in it either, which these days I often find a more compelling reason for something than the practical.

HOLA4418

I imagine that they're no worse with practice, but since safety razors do the same job with much less practice... I can't see the character etc. in it either, which these days I often find a more compelling reason for something than the practical.

Read Bruce's linked Telegraph article.

It seems that they are inherently worse because of the design; sometimes newer is better.

HOLA4419

Read Bruce's linked Telegraph article.

It seems that they are inherently worse because of the design; sometimes newer is better.

Depends how you define "better". Sometimes purely functional assessments don't cut it (pun intended, alas), which is why I think so much of the world to day is an unncessarily obnoxious pile of ****. As usual, it really boils down to what you personally happen to value, which isn't something that can be proven or demonstrated to be unarguably correct. "Well, I just like it better" is often a far more valid argument than any other.

All academic in this case though as far as I'm concerned, since I can't think of any reason to disagree with you about cut throat razors.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I bought one of those trendy safety razors. The first shave was horrific, but it got slightly better. It wasn't even a closer shave than my Gillette Fusion. I reverted to the Gillette, appreciating how far shaving technology has come.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Obviously nothing important happens in some men's lives when the Internet is full of discussions on shaving tat!

HOLA4425

Archived