House Price Crash Forum
rollover

Labour Set To Take London

Sadiq Khan, a Muslim opposition lawmaker, is on course to be elected London's mayor on Thursday, loosening the ruling Conservatives' hold on Britain's financial centre after a campaign marred by charges of anti-Semitism and extremism.

London is the top prize in local elections being held across Scotland, Wales and northern England, and there was little let-up in the accusations against Khan, who has a big lead in opinion polls, as campaigning ran into its final hours.

Reuters

Edited by rollover

Sadiq Khan, a Muslim opposition lawmaker, is on course to be elected London's mayor on Thursday, loosening the ruling Conservatives' hold on Britain's financial centre after a campaign marred by charges of anti-Semitism and extremism.

London is the top prize in local elections being held across Scotland, Wales and northern England, and there was little let-up in the accusations against Khan, who has a big lead in opinion polls, as campaigning ran into its final hours.

Reuters

The City of London is separate from the rest.

Thats where the financial stuff is...

Reuters

BOOM. Nailed it. Same as Washington DC is not part of the USA, and the Vatican is not a part of Italy/Europe etc etc

The three true power bases in the world are not governed by the laws of the sovereign nations within which they reside.

Umm.

Washington DC is governed by the USA. Indeed, as a Federal District, it's the only part of the country which is *directly* governed by the USA, as its local representatives can be overridden by a Congress to which they only send a non-voting Delegate.

Even if it were somehow outside the USA, that would be different from the situation with the City of London, part of the UK, not being part of London.

Separately from either of those, Vatican City is a microstate that is not a part of the country surrounding it, the last remnant of the Papal States that used to control good chunks of the Italian peninsular. See also Lesotho and San Marino (countries entirely surrounded by another), and Lichtenstein (entirely surrounded by two).

Sadiq Khan, a Muslim opposition lawmaker, is on course to be elected London's mayor on Thursday, loosening the ruling Conservatives' hold on Britain's financial centre after a campaign marred by *repeated but completely unfounded* charges of anti-Semitism and extremism.

London is the top prize in local elections being held across Scotland, Wales and northern England, and there was little let-up in the accusations against Khan *by the right wing media* , who has a big lead in opinion polls, as campaigning ran into its final hours.

Reuters

The media reporting on the story that it created for itself. Thankfully it sounds like most people were bright enough to see through it.

I thought the real significance here was confirmation of Tory fear that priced out renters don't vote for them. Moves against the BTLers came too late for this election.

Memo to Tory HQ - must try harder to get the priced out generation into their own homes asap.

Bring it on!

(FYI I do not live in London and am not able to vote there)

Umm.

Washington DC is governed by the USA. Indeed, as a Federal District, it's the only part of the country which is *directly* governed by the USA, as its local representatives can be overridden by a Congress to which they only send a non-voting Delegate.

Even if it were somehow outside the USA, that would be different from the situation with the City of London, part of the UK, not being part of London.

Separately from either of those, Vatican City is a microstate that is not a part of the country surrounding it, the last remnant of the Papal States that used to control good chunks of the Italian peninsular. See also Lesotho and San Marino (countries entirely surrounded by another), and Lichtenstein (entirely surrounded by two).

bit like Poland

I thought the real significance here was confirmation of Tory fear that priced out renters don't vote for them. Moves against the BTLers came too late for this election.

Memo to Tory HQ - must try harder to get the priced out generation into their own homes asap.

Bring it on!

Agree. I've been talking with London friends recently.

Frank Goldsmith is a non-starter as he'll continue the same Tory HPI policies so beloved of Mr Johnson and his chums.

Friends live nr Olympia tube in decent flat. They earn good wages and very "middle class" in their lifestyle. However, their kids are growing up and it will soon be time to fly the nest.....or not...given the continued HPI. Either kids stay until they are in their mid-20s at least...cramping the life of their parents, or they buy/rent somewhere affordable. ie. Far away from their parents.

And no chance of the BOMAD stepping in....they are I/O mortgaged on their London pad and a pad in the country. Any move upwards in the IR's and they are toast. :)

They are screwed either way...no HPC, misery for their kids. HPC , misery for them...Hobsons Choice ?

The hubby emailed me this AM to say he voted Khan and gave the Greens his 2nd vote in Assembly elections.

This couple , under normal circumstances, should be nailed on Tory voters.

Agree. I've been talking with London friends recently.

Frank Goldsmith is a non-starter as he'll continue the same Tory HPI policies so beloved of Mr Johnson and his chums.

Friends live nr Olympia tube in decent flat. They earn good wages and very "middle class" in their lifestyle. However, their kids are growing up and it will soon be time to fly the nest.....or not...given the continued HPI. Either kids stay until they are in their mid-20s at least...cramping the life of their parents, or they buy/rent somewhere affordable. ie. Far away from their parents.

And no chance of the BOMAD stepping in....they are I/O mortgaged on their London pad and a pad in the country. Any move upwards in the IR's and they are toast. :)

They are screwed either way...no HPC, misery for their kids. HPC , misery for them...Hobsons Choice ?

The hubby emailed me this AM to say he voted Khan and gave the Greens his 2nd vote in Assembly elections.

This couple , under normal circumstances, should be nailed on Tory voters.

Slightly surprised by that tbh - other than a protest vote. There have been some controversial mayoral decisions but overall I'm not convinced the role enables Khan to do much better. The problem is acute in London but ultimately this is a national problem.

Really toxic campaign by Goldsmith though and I might well have been put off the London Evening Standard for life. Wrote himself off before I could be bothered looking at what is on offer. Interesting because one journalist almost exasperatedly claimed there was a lot more to him than his campaign suggested.

Absolutely. It's the housing wot done it.

I bet the London Assembly election results will just confirm what happened at the general election.

Until the Tories convince people they'll bring down house prices and rents there, they can forget about London.

I'd wager that it's nothing to do with housing for most people. It's a mixture of Islamic votes and anti-Tory anti-privilege sentiment. The Tories put up one of the most boring, forgettable candidates which didn't help.

Absolutely. It's the housing wot done it.

I bet the London Assembly election results will just confirm what happened at the general election.

Until the Tories convince people they'll bring down house prices and rents there, they can forget about London.

Anyone of any party pushing a 'bring house prices down' policy can kiss goodbye to a huge chunk of the electorate, I'm afraid. When young people start voting in the same numbers that old 'uns do we might just see some change.

Even when their own kids can't get anywhere decent to live those with property still won't see the connexion.

I needn't mention the claim that one third of MP's own multiple properties....

I'd wager that it's nothing to do with housing for most people. It's a mixture of Islamic votes and anti-Tory anti-privilege sentiment. The Tories put up one of the most boring, forgettable candidates which didn't help.

Maybe.

Remember 50%+ of London in basically on benefit.

A plague on both their houses.

But I shan't be sorry if Khan wins. That's more a comment on the disgraceful behaviour of his opponents than on anything he stands for.

A plague on both their houses.

But I shan't be sorry if Khan wins. That's more a comment on the disgraceful behaviour of his opponents than on anything he stands for.

Ordinarily I would have gone out to vote for a Tory mayor - to act as a counterbalance to Labour dominance of the local London Councils if nothing else, but after the toxic campaign that Goldsmith ran, I've chosen to abstain instead. Edited by EssKay

If I were still in London, Khan would get my 2nd preference purely out of the disgusting campaign Zac ran. I'm not a fan of Khan, but the last few weeks have shown that Zac absolutely must not be allowed to run city hall.

Not quite - and Islam ultimately has nothing to do with it.

What sort of numpty uses xenophobia to garner votes in supposedly the worlds greatest metropolis ? Any reasonably intelligent Londoner who actually wants to live in London, across the race and creed spectrum, is likely to find this a ludicrous and worrying strategy (to put it mildly). Its kind of quarantined off in UKIP and the BNP but a bit beyond the pale for the major parties.

Bring it on!

As I don't live in London I don't give two hoots about either of the candidates... but I'd like Labour to win purely to put the wind-up the Tories to get them to do more about BTL (remove the last of the tax breaks). Ideally they'd do something about property flippers, sorry developers, as well.

I thought the real significance here was confirmation of Tory fear that priced out renters don't vote for them. Moves against the BTLers came too late for this election.Memo to Tory HQ - must try harder to get the priced out generation into their own homes asap.Bring it on!(FYI I do not live in London and am not able to vote there)

London went against the national trend at the General Election and I think affordability of property had a lot to do with it. Tories are in a cleft stick on this issue. They will know that a high renter demographic is ultimately going to be fatal for them at the polls but ramping asset prices is really Osbornes only economic policy. The Tories might temper the issue by introducing some sort of rent controls and improving tenants rights but I suspect they are not sufficiently ideologically flexible to take those options on board. If London voting trends start to be reflected in other areas of the South East the Conservatives will be in real trouble.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Goldsmith is in favour of overseas money to build more rental property. Khan wants to ensure that all new property is marketed in the UK before being opened to overseas investors.