House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Helicopters Falling From The Sky

Are these really bad helicopters? :blink:

Has there been another one?

The Super Puma in various models has seen 1 go down per year since 2009, but this helicopter is the most widely used in the offshore industry.

ChickenHawk by Robert Mason is a good book for an insight, Air Cav In Vietnam.

"The Huey Tuck" is a well known situation where loss of lift at low level can lead to a spear in.

Underslung loads have also flicked up and knocked out the tail rotor. If the tail rotor goes it's generally an out of control spin.

There is the chance of autorotation whilst the main rotor is still spinning with inertia where the aircraft can be landed at the nearest clearing but it has to be quick.

One happened in Bergen a couple of days back.

I remember when Mike Smith crashed they said copters don't drop like a stone; the blades continue to rotate so you can glide in.

In this case it looks like the blades fell off. I never went to the North Sea, and I have not been in a Super Puma. There must be loads of them running, and mostly not crashing. But the news seems to hint these things are crashing all the time. People are good at seeing patterns when there are none.

I've only been in Bell helicopters. They are small and cute and remind me of wasps.

Its all this money they are dropping, its heavy stuff

In this case it looks like the blades fell off. I never went to the North Sea, and I have not been in a Super Puma. There must be loads of them running, and mostly not crashing. But the news seems to hint these things are crashing all the time. People are good at seeing patterns when there are none.

I've only been in Bell helicopters. They are small and cute and remind me of wasps.

The Bell Huey or "iriquois" is tried and tested though, has been flying since the 50's

Super Puma / Eurocopter is French and had multiple gearbox failures.

American military helicopters are named after Native Indians, iriquois / apache / blackhawk / Arapaho / scout / comanche

The Bell Huey or "iriquois" is tried and tested though, has been flying since the 50's

Super Puma / Eurocopter is French and had multiple gearbox failures.

American military helicopters are named after Native Indians, iriquois / apache / blackhawk /

Say no more. I am already suspicious. :blink: Damn them French Monkey spies.

Surely if this has happened more than once, somebody should have investigated?

I guess the Americans are looking for a good Scrabble score with unspellable tribe names.

Citroen i heard.

There are calls for Sikorsky's S92's

Seems the S92 is not immune to gearbox failure either 2008:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-92

On July 2, 2008, a S-92A (registration VH-LOH, serial number 920036) operated by CHC Helicopters (Australia) was returning from an offshore oil facility en route to Broome, Australia with 2 pilots and 14 passengers on board when it suffered a "massive loss of main gearbox oil". The crew made a skillful emergency descent and landing on a Broome beach following the activation of onboard warning systems.[74]

In this case it looks like the blades fell off.

If one blade falls off the resultant inbalance will be enough to break the necks of everyone on board well within a second. The transmission/rotor would fall off soon after.

[as you might be able to tell, I don't like helicopters. This may or may not be related to most of my journeys being in French designed helicopters. Although I suppose I should admit that none of them actually crashed during my time in them]

I've assumed the 'poor' record of the super Puma is due to them being used so extensively in European oil & gas. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Guest eight

[as you might be able to tell, I don't like helicopters. This may or may not be related to most of my journeys being in French designed helicopters.

Tell us more about your time in the Foreign Legion....

Bloody hell would you trust that?

Well it appears to work. Even in the single reported case of a malfunction (the ejector seat went off for no reason) the blades were destroyed and the pilot was uninjured.

Russian's are pretty good at this sort of stuff.

Even in the single reported case of a malfunction (the ejector seat went off for no reason)

****** me that must of been some surprise to the pilot.

****** me that must of been some surprise to the pilot.

Applying Newton's third Law, is it possible to sh*t yourself whilst being ejected from a helicopter - and if so, how much sphincter strength is required and will your cargo pants ever recover?

Applying Newton's third Law, is it possible to sh*t yourself whilst being ejected from a helicopter - and if so, how much sphincter strength is required and will your cargo pants ever recover?

...and does the sh*t hit the fan?