House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PaTrickUK

A New Useful Resource For Sold House Prices

Hi,

As you know, the land registry release data through disclosure logs to the public after several months have passed, rather than as soon as the data is available.

Well, someone I know has access to the FULL Land registry database, including all the data January 2016 - 31st March 2016 - which the LandRegistry won't make available until around July.

This has been made freely available (it's free public data after all) on www.houseprices.site

As you can see, the site is very basic, but it does some things well.

I was very surprised to see the amount of houses sold in some postcodes I'm interested in, compared to previous months.

For instance, for post codes starting HA, I can see:

2016-01 431 houses sold

2016-02 312 houses sold

2016-03 199 houses sold

Another example for post codes starting CB:

2016-01 462 houses sold

2016-02 416 houses sold

2016-03 188 houses sold

There is clearly a huge slow-down taking place, but most papers are still scare mongering about how the average price in london will be 1 million by 2020 - they are clearly delusional. The prices have already surpassed what is affordable for most.

This is the kind of data many newspapers already posses but they don't want to scare potential buyers into NOT buying at the current obscene prices!

Play around with it and drawer your own conclusions.

Hope you find this useful.

Here are a few more searches I made against postcodes, so people don't think I'm cherry picking to cause hysteria or anything like that.

UB
Jan 274
Feb 253
Mar 149
KT
Jan 716
Feb 643
Mar 305
LE
Jan 1056
Feb 984
Mar 485
N1
Jan 326
Feb 295
Mar 184
N7
Jan 41
Feb 29
Mar 18
E8
Jan 35
Feb 17
Mar 12
a slight slowdown in the market, they said..... I beg to differ and would argue that a drop of up to 70% in some cases is a tad more than a slight slowdown.

Site was registered today.

Basic as basic can be, literally.

Does work but put your fields in exactly as indicated for the date or it returns zero results, put no date in and you get everything in the db for the post code. Postcode can be as short as you want.

Results for WA4 a very mundane area up north.

2016-03 - 16

2016-02 - 56

2016-01 - 55

2015-12 - 80

2015-11 - 82

2015-10 - 82

2015-09 - 70

2015-08 - 89

2015-07 - 106

2015-06 - 108

2015-04 - 56

2015-03 - 92

2015-02 - 69

2015-01 - 66

So for first 3 months of 2016 there were 127 sold and for first 3 months of 2015 there were 227 which does indeed (agregating the quarters) look like a pronounced downward lurch to me.

Use it before someone removes it!

Hi ChewingGrass,

What I find alarming is the huge drop in sales, pretty much everywhere I have checked.. hopefully pretty soon the April figures will be available too.

Regarding using the site before it disappears.. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Let's just say that nobody is going to remove it, unless the owner is threatened with serious court action based on an actual offense. The reason it doesn't look very appealing is because the guy that set it up isn't a PHP developer and doesn't know much about creating sites - he put it all together in a matter of hours.

This is compelling data, thanks. March figures can't be complete surely?

Hi thewig,

I think you will find the data is complete. Here's a random search I just did, the top results was from the 30th March:

300000 2016-03-30 UB48PY Freehold 20 NULL HOPPNER ROAD NULL HAYES

Hi thewig,

I think you will find the data is complete. Here's a random search I just did, the top results was from the 30th March:

nice one cyril thanks for this -going to have a trawl cheers

Thanks for the info - the data for my area shows similar figures for March as the data at another member's site - houseprices.io

I assumed the low number of sales for March was due to as yet incomplete data, but if you're certain that the site you're talking about has complete data, then my postcode shows 64 sales in Jan, 47 in Feb, and 18 in March, which is interesting. Personally I still think there are completions still to appear in the data, but I would sincerely love to be proved wrong.

Of course the data is incomplete. It's not the case that the LR has the full data and doesn't release it until 3 months later - it releases all the data it has every month but it takes 3 months for most (not all, just most) sales to be lodged with them. This data cannot possibly be complete - there is no complete data for March yet.

Of course the data is incomplete. It's not the case that the LR has the full data and doesn't release it until 3 months later - it releases all the data it has every month but it takes 3 months for most (not all, just most) sales to be lodged with them. This data cannot possibly be complete - there is no complete data for March yet.

Have tried last Qtr 2014 against last Qtr 2015 for WA4 tested previously.

Last Qtr 2014 - 247

Last Qtr 2015 - 244

Pretty level

Surely the huge drops in sales volumes is a reflection of the huge drops in stock levels.

For my postcode sk13 there is now less than half the number houses on the market in Apr 2016 compared to Apr 2014.

Have tried last Qtr 2014 against last Qtr 2015 for WA4 tested previously.

Last Qtr 2014 - 247

Last Qtr 2015 - 244

Pretty level

And that's meant to mean, what?

OK, let's assume the data for March is not 100% complete, even though it includes data for the last days of the month. Would you say the Feb data is also incomplete, considering we are in May? How would you explain that drop?

With the push of BTL to complete before 1st April, I would have expected to see Feb & March as record breaking months - this doesn't appear to be the case.

Does it show remortgage data?

A house has sold on my street that I know hasn't been publicly for sale and AFAIK is still occupied by the same people.

Hi thewig,

It may be complete as in it`s all the data the LR has for March at this point in time , but IIRC there's a 3 month window/deadline for conveyancing solicitors to register the sale so the chances are it`s not complet

Edit digsby beat me to it

Edited by long time lurking

Who cares if it's not complete? It's a useful free tool. What I'm interested in, is how this data is being obtained - can you get it somehow by signing up to the LR site as an agent or something?

Also, it seems to be just showing March data, which is available from the LR or houseprices.io. Is there a way to see April/May data? I've even tried SW1 and more common postcodes but nothing shows.

Edited by spunko2010

Who cares if it's not complete? It's a useful free tool. What I'm interested in, is how this data is being obtained - can you get it somehow by signing up to the LR site as an agent or something?

https://houseprices.io/ does the same if you are that inerested ,plus it has aditional price paid data incoperated into the search results and a bit more (repos sold at auction/bought via BTL mortgage/or company )

https://houseprices.io/ does the same if you are that inerested ,plus it has aditional price paid data incoperated into the search results and a bit more (repos sold at auction/bought via BTL mortgage/or company )

Yeah, I use that site often. But the OP sounded like s/he was saying it's getting data not released by the LR yet, i.e. April to now. Not sure if that's true or not though on closer inspection.

Yeah, I use that site often. But the OP sounded like s/he was saying it's getting data not released by the LR yet, i.e. April to now. Not sure if that's true or not though on closer inspection.

From the op

including all the data January 2016 - 31st March 2016

Same source as all the others i would guesses , April's will be released soon

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/price-paid-data-downloads

Edited by long time lurking