House Price Crash Forum

London Has A Single Issue Party Focused On Housing

HOLA441

Whilst flicking through my London Elects booklet I noticed there was a "House Party" standing for the London wide assembly.

The House Party, has been registered by former Green Party candidate and journalist, Terry McGrenera, in a bid to bring the capital’s housing crisis to the fore during London Assembly elections in May.

Mr McGrenera hopes to win a seat in the assembly by campaigning around house building and lack of affordability so he can hold the mayor to account on his housing policies.

source

The description is about when the party formed in 2012 but they're still going, here's their website explaining why there has to be a house party. It's a fairly book length rant. Tempted to cross their box...

HOLA442
HOLA443

Shame - I was hoping it was something to do with the Ministry of Sound...

In all seriousness, I'd give it serious consideration if they started by learning to structure their web-page...

HOLA444
HOLA445

Does anyone know their contact details?

Addresses have to be provided I believe, so I think it's in my booklet. I'm out at the moment but I'll post whatever details are there when I get home. Commenting on any of the blog posts (on the home page of their site) may work as well

HOLA446
HOLA447

Addresses have to be provided I believe, so I think it's in my booklet. I'm out at the moment but I'll post whatever details are there when I get home. Commenting on any of the blog posts (on the home page of their site) may work as well

I take it back. Only mayoral candidates have to provide an address, not assembly members.

HOLA448

If it doesn't include #endHTB it's useless and sheer narcissism

Half agree. In a perfect world you'd be entirely correct. However in a vote for someone to keep the mayor honest I'd rather have someone who thinks housing needs sorting than someone who thinks black cabs need protecting from Uber which is not far off the choice.

Would be interested to know who you'd vote for for the London wide assembly member.

Edit: spelling

Edited by SE10

HOLA449

Their web site has enough information to clearly demonstrate how rotten and abject the housing situation is and how rotten and abject the main parties approach to housing is and has been. That is a good start and foundation for their House Party.

There's plenty about inadequate amounts of house building but there doesn't seem to be any mention of the impact that changes in population and changes in their concentrations etc might have had. That never seems to get mentioned.

There doesn't seem to be anything about the mega crazy house prices but they do mention rents being too high relative to incomes.

A short summary listing their own policies and proposals would be helpful for clarity. Something more than the apparently implied increased building of social housing .

If they're focused on truly solving the housing problem and aren't part of the current VI then it might be worth considering voting for them. They couldn't do any worse.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4410

I take it back. Only mayoral candidates have to provide an address, not assembly members.

Really?

I'm sure our candidates addresses are given on the paperwork available at the council website.

The names and address of their 10 nominations were up one year.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Really?

I'm sure our candidates addresses are given on the paperwork available at the council website.

The names and address of their 10 nominations were up one year.

I may have over simplified. Should have said only the addresses of mayoral candidates are in the booklet.

HOLA4414

Having a single issue party focused on housing is daft. Other issues, immigration, finance, contribute to housing. None of which the mayor can do much about.

May as well vote for the most free shit mayor, or the least ugly one for all it matters. why bother voting at all, unless gimmicks like 'boris bikes' actually mean anything to you.

HOLA4415

The full breakdown of results from the London Assembly elections

Animal Welfare Party 25,810

Britain First 39,071

BNP 15,833

Lib Dems 165,580

Christian People's Alliance 27,172

Conservatives 764,230

Green 207,959

Labour 1,054,801

Respect 41,324

The House Party 11,055

Ukip 171,069

Woman's Equality Party 91,772

Less votes than even the BNP.

HOLA4416

Having a single issue party focused on housing is daft. Other issues, immigration, finance, contribute to housing. None of which the mayor can do much about.

May as well vote for the most free shit mayor, or the least ugly one for all it matters. why bother voting at all, unless gimmicks like 'boris bikes' actually mean anything to you.

Interesting to see how this pans out.

I'm not really worried by the Muslim thing - Khans a Punjabi, his dad wore Western clothes and did not have a beard.

However Khan is from an immigrant background who barely covered there costs. He grew up to be a drain on public finances, like all the people he helped move to the UK.

The future of the UK esp. London is getting the plebs off welfare and making a net contribution to finances. The current ad budget deficit is going to hit the UKhard.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Khan benefitted from Council Housing.

That's it.Housing immigrants in one of Wolds most expensive places so they can do 16h tax credits is nuts.

London has to cover it's costs. The 50%+ non native don't, as a whole.

A lot of London finance doesn't - just leveraging the state guarantee

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The full breakdown of results from the London Assembly elections

Animal Welfare Party 25,810

Britain First 39,071

BNP 15,833

Lib Dems 165,580

Christian People's Alliance 27,172

Conservatives 764,230

Green 207,959

Labour 1,054,801

Respect 41,324

The House Party 11,055

Ukip 171,069

Woman's Equality Party 91,772

Less votes than even the BNP.

People have at least heard of the BNP. Other than this forum, I havent heard of the 'house party'

They needed a cat killing campaign or something. Get their name out there. All publicity is good publicity :lol:

HOLA4421

That's it.Housing immigrants in one of Wolds most expensive places so they can do 16h tax credits is nuts.

London has to cover it's costs. The 50%+ non native don't, as a whole.

A lot of London finance doesn't - just leveraging the state guarantee

Theres what London (as an economic entity) wants itself to be, basically a large factory/office block where people live in the tiniest pods and work the rest of the time.

Then theres what those people want. Living space to bring up a family and not to have to move out so they can still enjoy the cultural stuff.

Cant have both. Something will have to give. Goldsmiths plan was basically to demolish most of London built between 1945-80 and replace it with mid rise blocks. Khan is to mindlessly parrot 'housing housing housing' in a bliar 'education education education' rendition.

Aside from ending international immigration, I dont see what can be done. Even then, you've still got internal migration. Even before bliars immigrant influx, there was a move from North to South.

At a national level, obviously the government should do its part and move wholesale out of London to somewhere cheaper (Middlesbrough IMO). Ending the banking cartel would certainly make wages in London a lot less attractive (and enrich the regions) But probably also destroy London.

The more I look at London, all I see is the plot to a dystopian, blade runner type city. Overcrowded, dirty, but because its where everything is, they feel they have to be there.

HOLA4422

Theres what London (as an economic entity) wants itself to be, basically a large factory/office block where people live in the tiniest pods and work the rest of the time.

Then theres what those people want. Living space to bring up a family and not to have to move out so they can still enjoy the cultural stuff.

Cant have both. Something will have to give. Goldsmiths plan was basically to demolish most of London built between 1945-80 and replace it with mid rise blocks. Khan is to mindlessly parrot 'housing housing housing' in a bliar 'education education education' rendition.

Aside from ending international immigration, I dont see what can be done. Even then, you've still got internal migration. Even before bliars immigrant influx, there was a move from North to South.

At a national level, obviously the government should do its part and move wholesale out of London to somewhere cheaper (Middlesbrough IMO). Ending the banking cartel would certainly make wages in London a lot less attractive (and enrich the regions) But probably also destroy London.

The more I look at London, all I see is the plot to a dystopian, blade runner type city. Overcrowded, dirty, but because its where everything is, they feel they have to be there.

Simple.

Reduce scrap housing benefit.

Set a hurdle for anymigrant to earn before allowing to work in UK - 50k + a 30kbond.

Scrap tax credits.

The solution does not have to be complex.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

People have at least heard of the BNP. Other than this forum, I havent heard of the 'house party'

They needed a cat killing campaign or something. Get their name out there. All publicity is good publicity :lol:

They didn't campaign at all as far as I know, other than write some blurb for the London Elects leaflet that came through my door (which the Polish Prince didn't manage).

HOLA4425

I actually think the government and civil service should move to the mud Midlands - Sheffield, Brum corridor.

Moive congestion away from London. Commenting to theseast of government will be more equal.