House Price Crash Forum
SOLZHENITSYN

Btl Being Discussed Now Live On Lbc Radio

Almost every day they are talking the growing London and other places housing problem.....growing numbers of people that require a place to lay their hat.....high density, over crowding situation does not instil a better less stressful quality of life for the people that live and work there.

I heard it. Quite a good discussion. The presenter understood that every BTL purchase means one less owner-occupied property. This is something that seems to be beyond many commentators, who cannot see beyond "high house prices" and "demand for rental property".

I heard it. Quite a good discussion. The presenter understood that every BTL purchase means one less owner-occupied property. This is something that seems to be beyond many commentators, who cannot see beyond "high house prices" and "demand for rental property".

Agree.....but not only that, very often a landlord who does not live themselves in the area will split a family home up and fit as many low income renters in it to make it pay....

Agree.....but not only that, very often a landlord who does not live themselves in the area will split a family home up and fit as many low income renters in it to make it pay....

Urban de-generation I think it's called... I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

The debate this morning was on how far the builders should be allowed to encroach into the green belt for building rabbit hutches..

1. Everybody agreed that there are not nearly enough houses being built and that we need to do more.

2. There were differences between how far into the green belt developers should be allowed. Some were for all of it being turned into urban sprawl other were more cautious..

3. No one wished to acknowledge the end of the boom and could only see HPI going on forever. Being allowed to build and increase supply seemed for some to be key to this premise.. :blink:

All in all an interesting debate. Some stated that London seems busier now than ever, other banded a figure of a population in the Capital north of 10 Millions.

Everyone missed the elephant in the room that no one even questioned.

Why there was such a demand in the first place....

Edit typo..

Edited by geezer466

The debate this morning was on how far the builders should be allowed to encroach into the green belt for building rabbit hutches..

1. Everybody agreed that there are not nearly enough houses being built and that we need to do more.

2. There were differences between how far into the green belt developers should be allowed. Some were for all of it being turned into urban sprawl other were more cautious..

3. No one wished to acknowledge the end of the book and could only see HPI going on forever. Being allowed to build and increase supply seemed for some to be key to this premise.. :blink:

All in all an interesting debate. Some stated that London seems busier now than ever, other banded a figure of a population in the Capital north of 10 Millions.

Everyone missed the elephant in the room that no one even questioned.

Why there was such a demand in the first place....

To honets, and I keep banging on about this, all you need to do is get eople living in London to pay for their housign using their own money.

Poof! Half the demand wold disappear overnight.

To honets, and I keep banging on about this, all you need to do is get eople living in London to pay for their housign using their own money.

Poof! Half the demand wold disappear overnight.

Hahaha yes..... And crash the banking sector who lent the insane sums to the LL to let these places...

Not that I disagree with you.......

Someone on here many moons ago gave this analogy......take the M25 or any popular motorway, improve it, widen it, create more capacity and more people will then use it... ;)

.....and drive in the wrong lane! :P

...trying to push the traffic out of central London.

On 5 live a spokesperson from Legal and General saying we are building a very unfair society,....what if you are not born to a bank of mum and dad? £5 billion given to help children by those who can, to live in today's unfair growing inequality but needy society.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36181318

Every day they are talking about the housing crisis here in the UK.

I would love to know what proportion of London property is actually sitting empty. It is the Buy Not To Let or Owner Occupy element of the equation that interests me. How much of the stock, particularly new build is being bought as a pure speculative play or as a store of wealth. We know about the largely lights out areas around Knightsbridge but how far does that extend out from PCL.?

I would love to know what proportion of London property is actually sitting empty. It is the Buy Not To Let or Owner Occupy element of the equation that interests me. How much of the stock, particularly new build is being bought as a pure speculative play or as a store of wealth. We know about the largely lights out areas around Knightsbridge but how far does that extend out from PCL.?

....because we are a country who allow anyone or entity to buy up our stock of land/housing as part of a diverse investment portfolio has only compounded the problem of reducing the supply but at the same time increasing the demand.... more people living here whilst at the same time exporting the property needed to home them....nuts.;)

Edit to add: The wealthy cash and 0% debt hoarders do not need or want to rent out and all the hassle that entails......they use it as their bolt hole as and when....they buy for our land laws, security of tenure and store of future value....tax laws notwithstanding.

Edited by winkie

Just had James O'Brien discussing BOMAD. The usual running around, more houses, help with deposits, just the constant avoiding the f**ing elephant in the room.

I get really ticked off with the build more houses angle. If Rolls Royce doubled their production without dramatically dropping their prices they'd not sell a single extra car.

Why are so many deluded into thinking building more houses would improve affordability.

Just had James O'Brien discussing BOMAD. The usual running around, more houses, help with deposits, just the constant avoiding the f**ing elephant in the room.

I get really ticked off with the build more houses angle. If Rolls Royce doubled their production without dramatically dropping their prices they'd not sell a single extra car.

Why are so many deluded into thinking building more houses would improve affordability.

Pretending there is a housing shortage is a way of avoiding the issue, whilst still sounding concerned.

It's implicitly trying to suggest that the housing crisis is a difficult problem to solve, because it involves a huge infrastructure investment, and that it is something like an act of God - what can we do we just can't build them fast enough!

It also means not having to admit that landlords are culpable, banks make us poorer and the housing crisis is a deliberate policy.

That much I understand.

What I don't get is the willing acceptance that house building is a government responsibility in need of Stalinist 5 year plans. Aren't we a market economy? If the government is centrally controlling the housing supply, doesn't that tell us something?

If they actually believed this, the right would be up in arms about it. Therefore, they don't.

Edited by BuyToLeech

There is a terrible shortage of housing, normal families earning a normal average wage are able to buy in the area close to where they work OR rent, a rent that is affordable on secure long-term safe rental agreements......

A whole generation of young people are now unable to independently provide and pay for a home for themselves and their family......this government and the last government have encouraged this situation along with the banks....how can they care about the people who live and work here....they have intentionally priced them out with their house price inflation policies......this is not only affecting the young but also their parents and grandparents.....this huge and growing problem must not be allowed to be brushed under the carpet and ignored...else people will start to get angry.

Edited by winkie

Pretending there is a housing shortage is a way of avoiding the issue, whilst still sounding concerned.

It's implicitly trying to suggest that the housing crisis is a difficult problem to solve, because it involves a huge infrastructure investment, and that it is something like an act of God - what can we do we just can't build them fast enough!

It also means not having to admit that landlords are culpable, banks make us poorer and the housing crisis is a deliberate policy.

That much I understand.

What I don't get is the willing acceptance that house building is a government responsibility in need of Stalinist 5 year plans. Aren't we a market economy? If the government is centrally controlling the housing supply, doesn't that tell us something?

If they actually believed this, the right would be up in arms about it. Therefore, they don't.

Building is private but there is no building without planning. Planning is a matter for the government and its agencies. Planning holds up the building of new houses in areas where there is demand. Edited by Ah-so

That much I understand.

There absolutely is a housing shortage to be firmly blamed on successive governments for not building.

There is also a house price bubble to be firmly blamed on the BoE, the banks, the BTL crowd, private developers and over-optimistic buyers.

We're suffering because of both. The second is about to blow but that doesn't change that in the long-term we're crying out for a government that can address the first rather than this shower that's just trying to get itself re-elected by bribing its future voters*

*killing BTL to make way for FTBs I love, it's just the shafting the vulnerable and selling off the social housing I dislike

There absolutely is a housing shortage to be firmly blamed on successive governments for not building.

There is also a house price bubble to be firmly blamed on the BoE, the banks, the BTL crowd, private developers and over-optimistic buyers.

We're suffering because of both. The second is about to blow but that doesn't change that in the long-term we're crying out for a government that can address the first rather than this shower that's just trying to get itself re-elected by bribing its future voters*

*killing BTL to make way for FTBs I love, it's just the shafting the vulnerable and selling off the social housing I dislike

Sigh.

Listen, we can count the number of people in the country, to a pretty high precision. We can count the number of houses in the country to an even higher precision.

The ratio of houses to people really isn't a matter of debate.

House prices follow credit bubbles and credit crunches. That should be obvious to everyone by now. Houses didn't appear from nowhere in 2008, but finance dried-up so prices fell.

The housing shortage is a self-serving myth invented by the housing 'industry' to avoid scrutiny and blame for the social and economic consequences of their 'business'.

Edited by BuyToLeech