House Price Crash Forum
pig

Housing Crisis Poll: Blame Split & Social Housing Wins Out

Apologies if posted elsewhere.

Too much to cut/paste here but the Guardian/Observer has knocked itself out on housing this weekend - there is also an article on The experiments providing homes around the world which might inform the Social Housing debate and also St Ives residents to vote in referendum on second home ownership - but feel free to take these onto other threads if necessary.

Anyway, comments are well worth browsing:

UK housing crisis: poll reveals city v country split on who to blame

More than two in every three Britons (69%) believe the country is in the throes of a housing crisis – with people who live in cities significantly more concerned than those who live in the countryside, according to a poll for Guardian Cities and the Observer...

UK housing crisis: four in 10 renters fear they will never own a home

David Cameron’s pledge to build a property-owning democracy is called into serious question by a landmark survey revealing that almost four in 10 of those who do not own a home believe they will never be able to do so....

Social Housing wins out as the preferred solution, but, sadly immigration and foreigners are blamed as the culprits behind hpi - the headline is a tad 'spun'. Personally I've found this site very useful and informative but I'm starting to think in the wider context and population its been completely impotent against the usual stupidity, whether mundane or malign.

I'm all for social housing. Not so much because I don't think we have enough houses - maybe we have, maybe we haven't - but rather housing tenure and 'provsion' is fukced. In the short term I can't see any other way. The housing market drastically needs to be reset in terms of quality,tenure and price to allow people and the general economy to get on with their lives, while we set about trying to sort out the private market.

By coincidence there is also an article about how the government and the commercial rivals to the BBC are angling to prevent them showing popular programmes during primetime (Sherlock, the News etc), or prevent them from showing popular programmes ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Can't help wondering if there is similar vested interest dynamic against the idea of Social Housing....

I don't think that anybody that can't afford to live in an area should stay in that area.....they should move to a place more accommodating and user friendly.

Lots of wonderful but not always wealthy make a not so good place better....shit places can be and very often are well overpriced places.... ;)

Branded stuff does not mean it is better stuff. :wub:

Edited by winkie

I don't think that anybody that can't afford to live in an area should stay in that area.....they should move to a place more accommodating and user friendly.

Lots of wonderful but not always wealthy make a not so good place better....shit places are well overpriced places.... ;)

Branded stuff does not mean it is better stuff. :wub:

If LVT turns out to be the only solution long term, it might smooth the issue of speculative demand out. Only worry there is it's nevertheless noticeable that people stiill happy to pay the hpi good school tax...

In a healthy housing market, turnover from social housing to private would not only be fine but (imho) desirable.

As it stands though, selling off social housing seems to me to be making matters worse at precisely the time you don't want to make matters worse.

Edited by pig

If LVT turns out to be the only solution long term, it might smooth the issue of speculative demand out. Only worry there is it's nevertheless noticeable that people stiill happy to pay the hpi good school tax...

In a healthy housing market, turnover from social housing to private would not only be fine but (imho) desirable.

As it stands though, selling off social housing seems to me to be making matters worse at precisely the time you don't want to make matters worse.

Everything is for sale at a price....very many homes are for sale indefinitely until the right person with the right sum comes along....

The problem is not those that are able, can and will.....it is those that are unable, can't or won't because they can't because they are unable so won't.......or can but unable to fulfill repayment commitment.....so take the money use it then run when can't fulfill it......

Everything is for sale at a price....very many homes are for sale indefinitely until the right person with the right sum comes along....

I suppose in theory it's true - just as it's also true that I can sell a pencil for £10,000 and in theory, it will remain on sale until the right person with the right sum of money comes along. If the market will not accept my price, I can always simply wait longer....and longer.....and longer.....comforted by the theortical possibility of a sale.

Too much to cut/paste here but the Guardian/Observer has knocked itself out on housing this weekend - there is also an article on The experiments providing homes around the world which might inform the Social Housing debate and also St Ives residents to vote in referendum on second home ownership - but feel free to take these onto other threads if necessary.

Social Housing wins out as the preferred solution, but, sadly immigration and foreigners are blamed as the culprits behind hpi - the headline is a tad 'spun'. Personally I've found this site very useful and informative but I'm starting to think in the wider context and population its been completely impotent against the usual stupidity, whether mundane or malign.

I'm all for social housing. Not so much because I don't think we have enough houses - maybe we have, maybe we haven't - but rather housing tenure and 'provsion' is fukced. In the short term I can't see any other way. The housing market drastically needs to be reset in terms of quality,tenure and price to allow people and the general economy to get on with their lives, while we set about trying to sort out the private market.

By coincidence there is also an article about how the government and the commercial rivals to the BBC are angling to prevent them showing popular programmes during primetime (Sherlock, the News etc), or prevent them from showing popular programmes ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Can't help wondering if there is similar vested interest dynamic against the idea of Social Housing....

Considering there are people here who will blame immigration whilst it's obvious that lending is primary cause of HPI so we shouldn't be surprised to see that in a newspaper.

Immigration is not the problem, it is immigration on a massive scale -in many cases paying people to come here *- and not building the homes for them.

* By paying people to come here, I mean if someone comes here and gets free or cheap housing within a couple of years of coming here then we are paying in our taxes for them to come here.

I am not blaming immigrants, just the scum who created the housing and benefit system.If some idiot country when I was in my 20s and given my friends free housing, I would have probably have gone there. Although unlike many immigrants in the UK I wouldn't have been surprised or resented if some of the locals disliked.

I am not saying that all immigrants get free housing but a significant minority do, when of course it should be zero, if they are such a benefit to the UK.

As a white man who works in London, I have almost zero chance of getting social housing so don't like it.

Immigration is not the problem, it is immigration on a massive scale -in many cases paying people to come here *- and not building the homes for them.

* By paying people to come here, I mean if someone comes here and gets free or cheap housing within a couple of years of coming here then we are paying in our taxes for them to come here.

I am not blaming immigrants, just the scum who created the housing and benefit system.If some idiot country when I was in my 20s and given my friends free housing, I would have probably have gone there. Although unlike many immigrants in the UK I wouldn't have been surprised or resented if some of the locals disliked.

I am not saying that all immigrants get free housing but a significant minority do, when of course it should be zero, if they are such a benefit to the UK.

As a white man who works in London, I have almost zero chance of getting social housing so don't like it.

Single man with no children perhaps? If so that is the problem, unless you happen to be disabled you stand little chance, you've probably not had a chance since the 80's.

Edit: come to think of it I imagine single men in the 50/60/70s were expected to live in digs, unless they were moving to a post war new town which had plenty of social housing available (to those who had jobs).

Edited by olde guto

Single man with no children perhaps? If so that is the problem, unless you happen to be disabled you stand little chance, you've probably not had a chance since the 80's.

Edit: come to think of it I imagine single men in the 50/60/70s were expected to live in digs, unless they were moving to a post war new town which had plenty of social housing available (to those who had jobs).

Why should people who work live in digs but not those who don't?

Considering there are people here who will blame immigration whilst it's obvious that lending is primary cause of HPI so we shouldn't be surprised to see that in a newspaper.

Disappointing but understandable I guess. Its not that its the typical Ukippers suffering from 'immigrationism' in the brain, its just the popular understanding of 'supply and demand' in which money supply simply doesn't figure. File alongside 'they're not making land anymore', 'house-prices only ever go up' 'nothing safer than bricks and mortar' and the rest.

What it does mean is that we are a really really long way away from an economic/political mandate to resolve this mess. The positive flip side of this simplistic view is the desire to build more houses. While building on its own won't solve the crisis, social housing might help rescue the market from its current 'spectacular failure'.

EDIT: The available options for blame in order of popularity were:

Immigration

Foreign investors buying up property
Right-to-buy scheme and selling off of social housing
The introduction of shorthold tenancies and removal of rent controls (buy-to-let boom)
Developers holding onto land after being granted planning permission
NIMBYs (residents who agree society needs housing development – but do not want it in their area)
Too many restrictions on planning permission
Government help-to-buy schemes to aid first time buyers
You could almost invert the list and top it with the criminally missing, lending, money supply and LIAR LOANS
Edited by pig