House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Mumsnet Poster Not Getting The Rent Paid In Full And Not Happy

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2626642-To-be-pissed-off-at-having-just-seen-my-tenants-spending-a-load-of-cash-whilst-theyre-behind-on-rent

To be pissed off at having just seen my tenants spending a load of cash whilst they're behind on rent?

Some interesting comments, and suggestions the OP has had problems with tenants before.

Classic example of a UK mom 'n pop landlord who should not be in the business. Too emotional, is prying into her tenants' lives on social media, doesn't know anything about tenancy law (and can't be bothered to find out), doesn't have enough of a financial buffer to even throw a child's birthday party if the rent is late.

The government should accelerate the introduction of Clause 24 and extend it to the removal of basic rate relief too. Then give HMRC the task of finding the landlords who aren't declaring their rental income and properly resource the search.

These people need clearing out.

Edited by Dorkins

I do find it amusing when people try to elicit sympathy by using their children end up only making themselves look stupid and fickle.

Oblivious to her own hypocrisy, I am sure, she blames others for her problems of her own doing. She cannot afford a children's birthday party because her tenant missed a payment by buying a sofa. She lives paycheck to paycheck, just like her tenants and complains about it. She could have put money aside each month for her child's birthday. It is not like a birthday is a random event.

It's okay for her not to plan and save for her children's birthday (which happen every year) but not okay for her tenants to buy sofas.

Edited by phantominvestor

I liked CruickShanks coments - or Cruel as one poster called them.

As for your kids' birthdays, I'm not sure you're in the right business if a couple of late payments means that you cannot fund your own lifestyle. What would you do if you had a void period for a couple of months? Or needed to put a new boiler in? It happens and you need to budget for that. If you haven't, you're doing it wrong. It's partly because of concerns like this that amateur small-scale landlords are a bad idea - there are always going to be expenses and late payments and all the rest of it and people who have no way of covering that are not fit to be in the really rather important business of providing shelter.

Edited by doahh

The bulk of that advice is insane. Further evidence of why small scale LLs are a bad idea.

900/month rent= salary of 15k.

Maybe the rents way too high?

While I don't condone cynical behaviour by tenant, late/non payment of rent & unplanned expenses are an occupational hazard of being a landlord - if you're not set up to deal with them, bad luck & don't whine.

I liked CruickShanks coments - or Cruel as one poster called them.

+1 he/she is spot on! These people shouldn't be LLs as they clearly can't manage their finances sufficiently.

While I don't condone cynical behaviour by tenant, late/non payment of rent & unplanned expenses are an occupational hazard of being a landlord - if you're not set up to deal with them, bad luck & don't whine.

Real businesses in the real world are very very very used to late payment, whether it be a sole trader or SME or global corporation not paying the bills on time. If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

It looks like the landlord may have a professional tenant (and it's not their first by the sounds of it either). I have some sympathy - but not much as them's the breaks and apart from the dodgy ethics of BTL - that's exactly why I would not become a landlord. At some point, you will be screwed over by a tenant and who needs that kind of hassle.

Now they are arguing about how cruik's comments are condescending and patronising and how they make them feel bad.

:rolleyes:

I suspect zero things will be learned in that thread.

When you can't fault the content or the advice given -- attack how it makes you feel!

Edited by phantominvestor

Now they are arguing about how cruik's comments are condescending and patronising and how they make them feel bad.

:rolleyes:

I suspect zero things will be learned in that thread.

Dumb LL safe space????

As per usual, the best advice comes from those who can spell and use grammar correctly. The fawning, unhelpful comments are from the semi-literate. Typical Mumsnet gold.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2626642-To-be-pissed-off-at-having-just-seen-my-tenants-spending-a-load-of-cash-whilst-theyre-behind-on-rent

To be pissed off at having just seen my tenants spending a load of cash whilst they're behind on rent?

Some interesting comments, and suggestions the OP has had problems with tenants before.

It is interesting that a person gives honest and correct advice as to a legal procedure, and the emotional retards all jump in that its not fair, you are grump and what about the children BS.

The issue is that a minor breach of contract has occured. There are remedies and it matters not one jot about the circumstance of the renter, the landlord or her kiddies birthday party.

As for the anecdotal "evidence" of the boasts on social media, I have to say that parents of people in trouble often bail them out in various ways, like buying them a new sofa, or paying for some time out...

Hope for the tenant's sake the property doesn't need a new boiler or other repairs - clearly the landlord is skint and living from rent payment to rent payment. Another idiot who thought BTL was a "passive income". Nope, it's a business, and most businesses fail.

It looks like the landlord may have a professional tenant (and it's not their first by the sounds of it either). I have some sympathy - but not much as them's the breaks and apart from the dodgy ethics of BTL - that's exactly why I would not become a landlord. At some point, you will be screwed over by a tenant and who needs that kind of hassle.

Totally. At lot of people, if not the majority of people, lack character and integrity and can't even bring themselves to do something as elementary as uphold their side of an agreement. Some of them are total scum, like the tenants in this example. I've zero desire to voluntarily let such people into my life, moreover give them financial leverage. It's strictly the clinical anonymity of financial assets for me.

JennylovesRosie Sat 30-Apr-16 17:47:12

We rented the house as it didn't sell- and we needed to move away from the area for work. We fell into this really.

Hmm wonder why didn't it sell - deluded kite flyer? Forced into becoming a landlord rather than sell house at a market clearing price.

'Accidental' landlordism like this must be rife up and down the country - surely easy pickings for HMRC if they ever decide to take a serious look at this market.

Hope for the tenant's sake the property doesn't need a new boiler or other repairs - clearly the landlord is skint and living from rent payment to rent payment. Another idiot who thought BTL was a "passive income". Nope, it's a business, and most businesses fail.

Investment for HMRC purposes now - but should be run as a business given how important it is (homes for other people), with ever more regulation to follow - including having financial reserves for voids and commercial risks.

Individuals who would normally sell up, but who hold onto properties to let out instead, prevent the market from clearing and proper price discovery from occurring - thus significantly contributing to any problems attributable to high house prices - so it really depends on whether they would be inclined to sell into continued use by somebody else if they decided not to rent it out. Additionally, amateurs clearly often don't think that tenants should have any decent security of tenure and don't familiarise themselves with even current legislation so they obviously do undermine your legitimate concerns above. I don't really see how my argument is any more moralising than asserting, by implication, that amateur landlords generally aren't doing anything wrong and generally are doing a broadly good thing. All I am saying is that if they have no idea about the legal realities of what they have chosen to do of their own free will then that is also a choice on their part. They could have educated themselves. They didn't. They don't like the consequences of that. Oh well.

May 2015. A HPCer.

Did you not read all the shit those BTLer spivs posted? Their goal seems to be that landlords are treated liked amateurs with allowances made all the time and tenants are purely professional, never allowed any leeway.

I hope they all burn (metaphorically in a banking bonfire of the vanities)

Tenants not paying is a form of bad debt risk - a risk faced by most businesses in the UK.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth from Poverty999 - it's almost as if they're not proper business people. :o

After all a proper business person performs in depth checks on people or businesses who are advanced credit, and bakes a provision for some defaulters into their projections when creating a business plan.

This is the double standard the whole complaint against the tenant is based on. The landlord is acting for financial gain and so has more reason to act professionally than a tenant who is just trying to house themselves and is essentially a consumer of the asset that is being rented out to them. Amateur landlords who are aghast to find out that they have amateur tenants have not thought the situation through properly.

JennylovesRosie Sat 30-Apr-16 17:47:12

We rented the house as it didn't sell- and we needed to move away from the area for work. We fell into this really.

Hmm wonder why didn't it sell - deluded kite flyer? Forced into becoming a landlord rather than sell house at a market clearing price.

'Accidental' landlordism like this must be rife up and down the country - surely easy pickings for HMRC if they ever decide to take a serious look at this market.

Having to find an extra 3% of the purchase price of the new house will focus the mind when it comes to this behaviour. Pity C24 won't make a difference as I'd bet that a lot of these 'accidental' LLs won't realise they should be declaring the income.

An interesting read, though it takes a turn for the less interesting after about five pages.

It's striking how the two posters that I read as well informed and reasonable (cruikshank and MarthaCliffYouC*nt) are recast as jealous, patronising, uppity etc. What also caught my attention was how many posters seemed to extend the idea that you should expect some late payment some of the time to the idea that late payment was, from a moral standpoint, being condoned. Not sure how you get from A to B on that one.

Thirteen pages in someone flags that there is a housepricecrash.co.uk thread about the mumsnet thread prompting these words of wisdom

Everylittlething87 Sun 01-May-16 13:28:03

That link posted is full of people just like cruik and the rest of the pompous ones. Most of them clearly haven't even read why the OP had to let out her house so how can they comment? Also commenting on people's literacy, that's the lowest form of dig at someone when you have nothing else to contribute. Who cares about grammar on mumsnet?! Really?! I can imagine it was someone on here or their partners who shared this. If it was I can also imagine it was to soothe yourselves and get some sort of pat on the back for your opinion. I would love to know how they think it's okay for the tenant to pay late as long as you (the landlord) has savings and back up? Would it be plate their own to do that as they have savings? Ah don't worry that you haven't paid your rent I don't care because I have savings!

<_<

There's a special place in my heart for the mumsnet/HPC cross-posting threads and I am happy to see that thus far we've managed to avoid the misogynistic bilge that has in the past tended to blight such threads, though obviously the worst of it comes from the female HPC posters trying desperately to fit in. ;)

Anyway, I'm only posting to plug my free book, which of course features a section on HPC and mumsnet. Critics are calling it "a lot less awful than I had at first anticipated"

Edited by Ghost Bird

Totally. At lot of people, if not the majority of people, lack character and integrity and can't even bring themselves to do something as elementary as uphold their side of an agreement. Some of them are total scum, like the tenants in this example. I've zero desire to voluntarily let such people into my life, moreover give them financial leverage. It's strictly the clinical anonymity of financial assets for me.

Interesting to note that clearly Everylittlething87's research didn't run to reading the thread.

Didn't read the mumsnet thread.. well apart from the first few posts.

Although if it's another BTLer/accidental landlord claiming they're basically skint, and can't cope with some late payments, then wouldn't be too hasty in labelling tenants renting from them in harsh negative terms.

For all I know the tenant might be withholding payment because of lack of repairs, or other issues.