House Price Crash Forum

Ridiculous Jaunts

Rave

HOLA441

So as it turns out, Crystal Palace are in the FA cup final. And thanks to the strategic thinking of my mate who's taken me to every away game this season, I'm pretty much guaranteed a ticket.

The only slight fly in the ointment is that as soon as we knew my holiday allocation for the year we booked a 10 day holiday in our favourite little town on the Costa Del Sol, and slap bang in the middle is the cup final.

Never fear, SkyScanner to the rescue. It's only going to cost me 110 quid (plus the 85 quid ticket, and the 50 euro taxi fare) to interrupt my holiday to fly back to Luton, see the game, and fly back out of Gatwick at 05.45 on Sunday. We're odds on to lose,and badly, but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Anyone else taken on such a random 24 hour mission for whatever reason? How did it go?

HOLA442

Similar thing, agreed to speak at a client do but forgot ( someone else could of done but wanted to see if it could work) . Holidaying with my family in the remote hills of Aquilla two hours from Rome. Left at 330 in the morning to go to Rome Airport, parked up got scheduled flight to Heathrow, colleague picked me up drove me to Beaconsfield. Do was about 4 hours, lift back to Heathrow

Flew to Rome, had McDonalds in the suburbs of Rome got back home into bed about 130 tge following morning

All seemed very jet set and tremendous fun !

HOLA443

O.K. good that's a +1 then. The biggest problem I can foresee is that I love a bevvy, and if by some miracle we win, it's going to be a proper party atmosphere...

If I miss the flight back my wife and in-laws will be stuck there with a hire car they can't drive and no ride back to the airport. Still I'll have three days to get myself back, I could probably hitchhike it or get various trains all the way there...

HOLA444

O.K. good that's a +1 then. The biggest problem I can foresee is that I love a bevvy, and if by some miracle we win, it's going to be a proper party atmosphere...

If I miss the flight back my wife and in-laws will be stuck there with a hire car they can't drive and no ride back to the airport. Still I'll have three days to get myself back, I could probably hitchhike it or get various trains all the way there...

But your not flying till the Sunday ? Pre book the cab and stone cold sober tell your mate you have to be in it, also it will be a miracle if you win probably worth the abuse and guilty presents if you win and miss flight

Finally out of 3 adults can't one of them be put on the car ? Or don't any of them drive ?

HOLA445

A few times for a varying reasons.

On one memorable but sad occasion, the missus turned up at work at midday telling me her father had died and the family had asked if she was coming to the funeral - a day and a half away. Trouble is the funeral was in the middle of a remote area of Borneo. Within half an hour, we had a flight booked, took a taxi home, packed in five minutes and went back to catch a train to the airport. Another connection later that day at Heathrow, then KL and then Kuching where a young relative was waiting to pick us up and drive through the night - including through what is effectively lawless bandit country. We made it - and I can tell you there is something very surreal about helping the community collectively dig my father-in-laws grave in the middle of a tropical rainforest when 24 hours earlier you were sitting at your office desk in a rainy Northern town. I flew back about a week later - and suffered no jet lag because I'd decided to stay on UK time.

The world is small now, and the planes probably run smoother than the railways and enough cash makes anything happen. It'll be OK providing you don't get too ratarsed.

HOLA446

You lot are pussies. The flight is at 5.45am. You are getting a taxi to the airport and back.

Hungover flights are horrendous.

Drunk flights are tremendous.

Get ******ing wasted.

HOLA447

Stay merry until the flight, not so merry that you try and open the door though! Then pass out...

I follow the tennis and a lot of the players seem to pop up all over the world over a few weeks, getting knocked out in the early rounds then appearing the other side of the world a few days later. God knows how some of the lower rankers spend 10 years doing that.

I remember one Wimbledon, I think Federer had 2 days off so flew back to Switzerland for the weekend. It's only a 90min flight on some private jet probably. 30 mins faster than the high speed train from London to Liverpool.

HOLA448

Flew from Denver to Washington D.C. Clicked "show codes" in a document ,deleted a hard carriage return,document now looks the way a very important lawyer wants it to.Flew back to Denver,4680km round trip.

HOLA449

Flew from Denver to Washington D.C. Clicked "show codes" in a document ,deleted a hard carriage return,document now looks the way a very important lawyer wants it to.Flew back to Denver,4680km round trip.

Had he never hear of email? Or skype? That sounds like a total waste of time and money to me.

My cousin did a round trip from Australia to see the FA Cup final last year. Ended up in the paper and the club reimbursed his ticket.

HOLA4410

I am rubbish with jet lag. I suppose it would be different if you can sleep on long haul in first class.

I do wonder about the F1 lot as their air travel seems crazy. OK, for the drivers and top dogs it is all private jets and first crash - surely a first class sleeping seat is better than a tiny lear jet type thing that many of the drivers fly in?

But for all the F1 crews I suspect they just fly economy - must take its toll.

HOLA4411

Had he never hear of email? Or skype? That sounds like a total waste of time and money to me.

My cousin did a round trip from Australia to see the FA Cup final last year. Ended up in the paper and the club reimbursed his ticket.

He was smart enough to argue with U.S supreme court judges so he and one other of the lawyers in the D.C office were treated like royalty.Any hint of stress in the voice regarding technology and one of us was on a plane.

HOLA4412

I was three sheets to the wind in the pup one thursday night night in the late eighties ,a few`s mate came in and said they were off to Glastonbury off i went with less than a tenner in my pocket and nowt else ,got home the following wednesday after a lot of walking and hitchhiking had a brilliant time ...even if i was fecking starving

HOLA4413

Go for it.

I flew back to home longhaul last year after a holiday in the UK, arrived on the tuesday, told by boss i had to go back to europe on the thursday, flew back for meetings fri/sat, then grabbed some tickets for the australian/scotland game on the sunday from a mate in london, so flew to london from germany on a bucket ticket, saw the game with an old mate, then a cheap hotel that night and back home longhaul on the monday morning...

no jetlag, as no chance to think. good fun, and fitted in beers with mates on the way.

on the other hand, I turned down the chance to see prince in a small concert venue in feb, as I was tired from the travel to NZ and the tickets were 300 pounds. Now I'll never get the chance...

HOLA4414

Isn't "ridiculous jaunts" the perfect description of most business travel?

Flying halfway round the planet for a couple of hours of meeting/dinner/sports event and promptly flying back again (or, off to do the same on another continent). All cosseted in business class (or above) luxury and nice cars with drivers.

Until I came over all ethical and environmentalist, I never minded it too much. But most of it was barking.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I am rubbish with jet lag. I suppose it would be different if you can sleep on long haul in first class.

I do wonder about the F1 lot as their air travel seems crazy. OK, for the drivers and top dogs it is all private jets and first crash - surely a first class sleeping seat is better than a tiny lear jet type thing that many of the drivers fly in?

But for all the F1 crews I suspect they just fly economy - must take its toll.

A couple of years ago, I was talking to an F1 designer of some description...Apparently many have three teams. One for the setup, one for the race weekend, and one for the packup...

HOLA4417

6am flight to Munich, straight on it at weisn (missus was about due so I could only go for a day that year), after 7 maß i was at the airport at 10pm for the flight back. Only realised I should have done things differently when I was on a platform in Clapham junction at midnight wearing lederhosen.

HOLA4418

To be honest, you're all boring me with your wimpy stories of last-minute aeroplane flights in and out of major cities.

Tell me when you've just made the last Friday-night Transporter-Bridge crossing out of Middlesbrough whilst wearing only a nappy, a crash-helmet, and a sign saying "punch me - 'cos I've shagged your sister stupid"...!

Then - and only then - might I take note of your tales of derring-do...

;)

XYY

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

'Open jaw'....meaning fly to one place and fly back from another.......more should try it, and travel unknowingly in-between. :)

I've done that btw, for my one random trip as a single bloke before I got married and boring- booked a flight into Kansai International and spent 3 days in Osaka, 3 days in Kyoto, then took an overnight bus to Tokyo where I spent a week before flying back out of Narita. It worked just fine.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

This thread is complete now I've been called out as a soft southern poof by XYY! :D

It's a badge of honour. :wacko:

HOLA4423

This thread is complete now I've been called out as a soft southern poof by XYY! :D

No need to close the thread just yet though rave - there's plenty more of you Southern Jessies out there for me to name 'n' shame...! ;)

It's a badge of honour. :wacko:

Indeed. And you wear it particularly well tractor boy...!

;)

XYY

HOLA4424

Hartlepool isn't even proper "Oop North" anyway !

Try Jockland - we walk around in shorts in the winter coz we're such "Hord bostards" - as Sid the Sexist would say.

:)

HOLA4425

Hartlepool isn't even proper "Oop North" anyway !

Try Jockland - we walk around in shorts in the winter coz we're such "Hord bostards" - as Sid the Sexist would say.

:)

Howay mon! I've seen you lot wearing skorts! Like wimmin. :blink:

Archived