House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Another Super Puma Crash Bergen.

There has been another catastrophic crash involving the Super Puma returning from an offshore platform, this time in Bergen Norway.

The entire rotor assembly detatched from the fuselage.

The gearboxes have been identified as the cause in a number of the previous crashes off Shetland & Aberdeen.

The fleet of Super Puma's has largely been grounded across the world except for use in SAR roles.

Calls are emerging to scrap them on social media.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/norway-helicopter-crash-fatalities-feared-7865478

What is the likely outcome given the previous history?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/29/helicopter-crashes-near-bergen-in-norway-turoey

In August 2013, all UK Super Pumas were grounded by CHC, the company that operated them, after one of the aircraft plunged into the North Sea off Shetland, killing four people They resumed flying shortly after when they were given the all-clear by experts.

The previous year, the 225 model Super Pumas were grounded after two crashes, one off Aberdeen and another off Shetland. They had been given the go-ahead to resume flying just before the fatal crash in August.

And going back to 2009:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Bond_Helicopters_Eurocopter_AS332_crash

What's wrong with them. I only have travelled on "safe" helicopters.

Guest eight

What's wrong with them. I only have travelled on "safe" helicopters.

Well it's easy to be an armchair expert, but even I know that functional helicopters are available. Why would you persist with one of these things?

Well, the silver lining for the mass layoffs on the Norht Sea means Iwont see my FB page filling up with posts from oilies saying 'Wedemand an investigation into these crashes..' to which my response is 'FFS air investigation go over stuff with a comb'

Then they say 'Its scandalous that they make us travel in something on safe.' The they go out with their mates on a Firebalde across the moors, stopping off for a beer.

My armchair take onthis is that helicopters are inherently dangerous. If the bales fail they cannot glide to safety.

Helipcopers operating in the North Sea is about as bad as it gets - salt water, constant use.

The oilies could get a boat out. 4 days travels on their time ...

I've only been in tiny helicopters!

With tiny windows. Average oiley these days cannot get out of a barn door.

Actually that is true! People got bigger, and the helicopters didn't. I'm always amazed at the tubs of lard waddling up 8 flights of stairs with a certificate, that says they are "fit" to work offshore. :huh:

Alot of Offshore workers commenting on that FB Group that this is the only real viable choice of Helicopter for them to use as it is the predominant workhorse across the globe.

Alot of the Operators have invested heavily in this model.

The one in the Bergen crash had a new gearbox fitted in January according to the operators.

I've spotted 3 people I know on the Super puma FB site.

One grew up 3 doors from me.

They are all strecthing their knowledge of safety stats

Helicopters are dangerous. Boats are safer.

However, transfering from a boat to a rig is very dangerous.

Not sure about Super Puma's, but to be all helicopters seem pretty dangerous. Think about it, many more people use planes and it seems like they crash a lot less, considering the amount in the sky. Obviously helicopters are used in a different way, much closer to ground level, but even so you would have thought there was a lot of room for improvement in safety.

I'm sure it's better to listen to armchair mechanics on social media, rather than helicopter engineers. :huh: There will be a lot of investigating. It's quite unusual for the engine to fall off.

Not sure about Super Puma's, but to be all helicopters seem pretty dangerous. Think about it, many more people use planes and it seems like they crash a lot less, considering the amount in the sky. Obviously helicopters are used in a different way, much closer to ground level, but even so you would have thought there was a lot of room for improvement in safety.

I think that if you were to start trying to land planes on oil rigs, and then were to compare the stats for oil rig landings for planes v helicopters, then the helicopters would start to look pretty safe.

super puma looks like the old Sea King...which I gather were marvelous and safe...

I think that if you were to start trying to land planes on oil rigs, and then were to compare the stats for oil rig landings for planes v helicopters, then the helicopters would start to look pretty safe.

Planes might have a hard time landing on the green H. :huh:

You could use sea planes on floats, but probably not in a rough sea.

I have never been to the North Sea, but I reckon the safety record is good considering the number of flights.

Planes might have a hard time landing on the green H. :huh:

You could use sea planes on floats, but probably not in a rough sea.

I have never been to the North Sea, but I reckon the safety record is good considering the number of flights.

You must have been to the North Sea ?

Grimsby, Aberdeen, Dunbar ? Half the UK is on the North sea !!

You must have been to the North Sea ?

Grimsby, Aberdeen, Dunbar ? Half the UK is on the North sea !!

OK I went across it. What I meant was I never visited a platform in the North Sea. Mostly I went to the middle east.

I went out on these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_412#Incidents_and_accidents

I was hoping to go the the BP FPSO boat Skarv, which I saw being built in Korea, where my computers were.

That boat ended up in the Norwegian Nort Sea. I never went there. Somebody else did.

Aren't they the Nam type choppers ?

I'm not that old. I don't know. I didn't go in a green one, and we had no guns. They remind me of insects like bees, so I thin they must be safe.