House Price Crash Forum
The Eagle

West London Development Offers Student Halls-Style Shared Living For City Workers

So much for working in the city to live the high-life, more like slave boxes for slave workers... :rolleyes:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/west-london-development-offers-student-hallsstyle-shared-living-for-city-workers-a3236386.html

Student halls-style shared accomodation for young city workers has been built in west London with small rooms, communal kitchens and monthly rents starting from £900.

The 11-storey development in Old Oak Common near Acton is described by by its creators "the world’s largest co-living scheme", with space for 550 residents.

[...]

Mr Merchant said: "Our Old Oak development is offering Londoners a fresh and innovative way of living."

[...]

"This is the start of a forward-thinking way to live. ”

Fresh an innovative? :wacko:

Sounds more like a prison to me...

How much more ridiculous does it have to get before everything comes crashing down? :ph34r:

Edited by The Eagle

As a young professional, I'd have probably appreciated that kind of set up i.e. all of your bills sorted, other people to chat to etc. Much better looking than the typical shared house. Perfect if you are new to the city and not a couple wanting some privacy. But £900/month is roughly double what I'd want to pay for it.

I agree though - fine for six months, maybe a couple of years - but if you stuck there for years it would certainly end up feeling like a paid for prison.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

As a young professional, I'd have probably appreciated that kind of set up i.e. all of your bills sorted, other people to chat to etc. Much better looking than the typical shared house. Perfect if you are new to the city and not a couple wanting some privacy. But £900/month is roughly double what I'd want to pay for it.

I agree though - fine for six months, maybe a couple of years - but if you stuck there for years it would certainly end up feeling like a paid for prison.

If that 550 conisted of 549 Victoria secret models + 1 of me then Id be up for it.

Otherwise, I take a pass.

Fine for a short period - say a summer, a couple of motths.

Fcking hell for more than a year.

Yes well I lived in something like that 15 years ago. The rent was £360 then.

Sounds like a more upmarket version of student halls of residence.

If something like that had been available to me back in the 1980s, I might just have stayed in London. Though for precisely that reason, I suspect it'll be heavily oversubscribed.

Sounds like a more upmarket version of student halls of residence.

If something like that had been available to me back in the 1980s, I might just have stayed in London. Though for precisely that reason, I suspect it'll be heavily oversubscribed.

No. Just a halls of residence, nothing upmarket. Just at a fcking rate of 900/month.

Just up the road from Wormwood Scrubs Prison. People don't pay anything at all to live there.

Funny old world, isn't it?

No. Just a halls of residence, nothing upmarket. Just at a fcking rate of 900/month.

OK, maybe that picture of a shiny kitchen might be optimistic. Not a bad frontage though.

The text suggests something top-end of the market. Office space for 400. Own cinema, gym, launderette, games room, library and dining rooms. Food all day. I expect it also has things like hot water, and even someone maintaining the communal parts.

Much rather £900/month for that than for the kind of slum I suffered in London.

OK, maybe that picture of a shiny kitchen might be optimistic. Not a bad frontage though.

The text suggests something top-end of the market. Office space for 400. Own cinema, gym, launderette, games room, library and dining rooms. Food all day. I expect it also has things like hot water, and even someone maintaining the communal parts.

Much rather £900/month for that than for the kind of slum I suffered in London.

I oculd stand it if I was on a very good wedge - at least 80k - which would cover me travelling down on Monday, coming back of Friday and just using the place as a perma-hotel room.

900/month=~250/week=~60 a night the days Id use it.

It would have to be all in mind - rates, utilities.

Bit even then its bordering on not competive against Premier Inns and small B+B.

This is a hotel.

It's approx £35 per day - very similar to central Ibis Budget in various major cities.

Long term guests make more facilities viable.

It's a ******ing hotel.

Bit even then its bordering on not competive against Premier Inns and small B+B.

I'm fine for a couple of days in a Premier Inn. But it's no use for longer than that. Having the kitchen (and indeed launderette) makes all the difference.

Actually I had a London hotel room with own kitchenette a couple of years back. About £80, and pretty decent overall. I was most impressed! Though that was a mid-January price: not sure what it would be in other seasons.

I don't think this sounds bad at all. Much better value than the crappy shared places I lived in.

Of course when the people on benefits move in it will be interesting to see what happens...

I remember accompanying a pal who was visiting a possible rented room in a shared house. We would have been twenty-somethings, it would have been the late nineties. We were stood in the kitchen talking to the landlord when one of the possible house mates walked in. He was fifty if he was a day, big gut under a dirty vest, jeans and a belt which was around his waist, but unbuckled, buckle swinging menacingly as he shuffled along. His flies were down so you could see his burgundy underpants in Technicolor glory. It was a lovely summer day outside, and he was covered in a sheen of sweat. The landlord said something like "This is Barry, he rents one of the rooms". It really was the stuff the stuff of nightmares. My pal decided she'd keep looking.

I remember accompanying a pal who was visiting a possible rented room in a shared house. We would have been twenty-somethings, it would have been the late nineties. We were stood in the kitchen talking to the landlord when one of the possible house mates walked in. He was fifty if he was a day, big gut under a dirty vest, jeans and a belt which was around his waist, but unbuckled, buckle swinging menacingly as he shuffled along. His flies were down so you could see his burgundy underpants in Technicolor glory. It was a lovely summer day outside, and he was covered in a sheen of sweat. The landlord said something like "This is Barry, he rents one of the rooms". It really was the stuff the stuff of nightmares. My pal decided she'd keep looking.

I love these 'How I met my husband' stories.

Typical Twodio = £250 per person per week

CgHl1FW.jpg

https://www.thecollective.co.uk/coliving/old-oak

Don't get fooled by the artistic rendering of the rooms, they are a complete fantasy.

Look at the floorplan, in reality the rooms are tiny, the beds take up more than half of the room and the bathroom is half the size of a bed, even the kitchen corner is smaller than the bed!

Anyone living in these prison cells for longer than a few weeks will become a claustrophobe.

Edited by The Eagle

With the mega crazy house prices never ending HPi in London these days that sort of accommodation won't ever be route to something better - most likely that's it for ever for your London life.

Edited by billybong

Many London workers all they earn per month is £900 pm short hour contracts, share hours about many workers as possible....ties into the tax free personal allowance?...helps keep unemployment down?....how low can we go?

Edited by winkie

Don't get fooled by the artistic rendering of the rooms, they are a complete fantasy.

Look at the floorplan, in reality the rooms are tiny, the beds take up more than half of the room and the bathroom is half the size of a bed, even the kitchen corner is smaller than the bed!

Anyone living in these prison cells for longer than a few weeks will become a claustrophobe.

Maybe that is the 'plan'........out all hours of the day working to pay for it?....can't make it too comfortable, will not want to leave otherwise.;)

The way to look at this is that the landlord can get 2,000 quid per month for the equivalent of a small 1 bed flat.

Makes perfect sense, if you don't have to live in it.

Many London workers all they earn per month is £900 pm short hour contracts, share hours about many workers as possible....ties into the tax free personal allowance?...helps keep unemployment down?....how low can we go?

National minimum wage now more than that.

(I know 'cos I've been on it myself since last year).

National minimum wage now more than that.

(I know 'cos I've been on it myself since last year).

That is not the point.....my point is the number of hours available to work.....only so many hours in a day and if sharing the hours between three people as opposed to two the hours each get are shared......but more people are technically employed but earning less.;)