House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

porca misèria

Dealing With Cold Callers

Stepped up for me.

I get those Indian surveys that front run UK based call callers. I've been through one survey to see what happens. the next week is followed by various scammy charities and insurance cold calls.

India is burning it's outsourcing credentials I put the phone down on anyone with an Indian accent now.

I have no landline and a policy of not answering any calls where I don't recognise the number (if it's important they can leave a message) which means I cannot recall the last time that I had one. Certainly not this year.

Well I had double glazing salesmen calling at my door recently. I told them to go away, as I already have windows. I was probably quite abrupt. But they have come into my territory, and not because I know them, or for my benefit. I was expecting a parcel, so I was quite disappointed.

Well I had double glazing salesmen calling at my door recently. I told them to go away, as I already have windows. I was probably quite abrupt. But they have come into my territory, and not because I know them, or for my benefit. I was expecting a parcel, so I was quite disappointed.

You got a parcel of rogues.

I always ask them...trick or treat, more often than not they say treat and I offer them a biscuit to keep them going....... often wonder how many houses they knock on before anyone is at all interested....must be a long boring souless job........surely there must be something else they could sell that people would be interested in buying.;)

I always ask them...trick or treat, more often than not they say treat and I offer them a biscuit to keep them going....... often wonder how many houses they knock on before anyone is at all interested....must be a long boring souless job........surely there must be something else they could sell that people would be interested in buying. ;)

Lovely!

I will buy some biscuits on the offchance.

I have had much trouble with these bozos ringing my mobile on and off in recent months - most of the time the incoming calls abruptly drop, even if my I answer promptly.

Not so much 'cold calling' as 'doorstep chuggers' but seeing as Mr Pin brought it up, I had a guy from some charity knock on the door at 18:45, while I was serving up tea for the family (already late due to swimming lessons), so I answer the door.

Chugger: HELLO MY FRIEND! How are you toda.....

Me: Are you a charity caller?

Chugger: YES I CERTAINLY AM I AM FROM ......

Me: sorry I'm not intersested, thanks. (closes door)

Door about to click shut, and

Chugger: EXCUSE ME SIR!

Me: Opens door again..

Chugger: Could I ask why you aren't interested in starving children???

He hits me with this question and in the milliseconds that passes, I have a mini debate with myself, as 1. I do care about starving children, but really I should just look after my own children, as 'the starving children's' parents should be looking after them. 2. This guy is a dick, and even if I did care about starving children, I don't want him on my doorstep. 3. If I'm giving to charity, I will chose the recipient.

Me: Of course I do, but I don't give to charity on my doorstep! (starts to close door again)

Chugger: But why is that?

Me: LOOK, if you get off my property, I'll set the dog on you!!

Chugger: runs for gate...

I live on a council estate, I think these teams of chuggers sometimes have no clue where they are to be honest. I wouldn't try to sell cupcakes door to door round here.

Not so much 'cold calling' as 'doorstep chuggers' but seeing as Mr Pin brought it up, I had a guy from some charity knock on the door at 18:45, while I was serving up tea for the family (already late due to swimming lessons), so I answer the door.

He hits me with this question and in the milliseconds that passes, I have a mini debate with myself, as 1. I do care about starving children, but really I should just look after my own children, as 'the starving children's' parents should be looking after them. 2. This guy is a dick, and even if I did care about starving children, I don't want him on my doorstep. 3. If I'm giving to charity, I will chose the recipient.

Me: Of course I do, but I don't give to charity on my doorstep! (starts to close door again)

I live on a council estate, I think these teams of chuggers sometimes have no clue where they are to be honest. I wouldn't try to sell cupcakes door to door round here.

:D

dog.PNG

If I get a phone cold caller, i say " Hello, Cheshire homeless centre!" then "you appear to have made a mistake this is a homeless charity". They always hang up immediately ..

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

post-17-0-95915000-1462043519_thumb.png

Cold callers can be either charities, or salemen. Either way, you are not expecting them, and they interrupt your life. They have the advantage, because now you are surprised! I recommend the "22nd Century Cyborg stare" usually gets them on their way. Also always tell them you are a tenant, even if you are not. :wacko:

Why would anyone be interested in starving children? They usually do better when they are fed.

I'm a one man band tradesman and my work number is out there on the www. The only cold caller I get about once a month is the 'government roundtable for business'. Seeing as I don't want to speak to the government or possible scammers, I always hang up. Maybe I'll carry on the call next time to find out what they are after.

I'm a one man band tradesman and my work number is out there on the www. The only cold caller I get about once a month is the 'government roundtable for business'. Seeing as I don't want to speak to the government or possible scammers, I always hang up. Maybe I'll carry on the call next time to find out what they are after.

Possible scammers I would say. There's always some third party wanting to help you to some Government money, for an up-front fee. :blink:

I invite them in, then bolt the door.

Then subject them to a 3-hour rant about how tablespoons are taking over the world.

Na...cold callers like the cold, a freezing bucket of cold water? would that satisfy them?........what do the hot callers offer, something hotter than the cold callers...here's hoping.....something worth opening the door for when it is unpredictable and blowy out there. ;)

I invite them in, then bolt the door.

Then subject them to a 3-hour rant about how tablespoons are taking over the world.

That is a Masonic Secret, and you should not talk about spoons

On the rare occasions that I actually answer a knock at the door, and am confronted by some goon trying to sell me something, I immediately point at my car - and ask them if they want to buy it.

Their 100% guaranteed answer to that question is "No" - it's a five-year old Hyundai i10 after all - and that response is then turned upon them thus:

"Well I don't want to buy whatever shite you're selling either - now f*ck off...!!!"

This tried-and-tested approach is also proven to be effective with Sky TV, Betterware, Avon, the Mormons, and the Jehovah's Witnesses...!

XYY

Yeah, cos it's great to show your superiority and power by taking the p!ss out of people trying to make a living

Just politely decline - chuggers and the like annoy me, but I just tell them I don't give at the door and wish them a good day

Yeah, cos it's great to show your superiority and power by taking the p!ss out of people trying to make a living

Just politely decline - chuggers and the like annoy me, but I just tell them I don't give at the door and wish them a good day

Yes, not a great way to earn a living. I am polite but rude! :o

Yes, politely decline, but if they won't take no for an answer rudeness is appropriate.

Yes, politely decline, but if they won't take no for an answer rudeness is appropriate.

The original link was devised for the more devious kind. Like the sales caller who will lie to get through the switchboard by saying he just got cut off and wants to continue a conversation with $important-person.