House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANG

Overturned Cars

Not a day goes past where I hear or read of an overturned car.

I do a lot of driving and generally try to stick to the speed limits. Admittedly I have received 2 fines for slightly exceeding the speed limit over the last 20 years. So now I generally observe the speed limit.

The standard of driving I witness on a daily basis is absolutely appalling and now some idiots even seem to ignore red lights. Speeding, accidents, road rage and people tail gating just to save a few seconds off their journey.Some people think that they are on a race track.

I know that there is significantly more traffic on the road and every hour now seems like a rush hour and it seems to be getting crazier by the day.

Every time I fire up the Fiesta I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands.

Its pure madness out there.

Funnily enough I've heard of several overturned cars locally over the last month and always think "How?".

I saw a car flip into the air in my rear view mirror once. No idea how it happened, there are no roads converging at that spot. Very strange.

I rounded a bend on a country road to find an overturned car with what appeared to be a woman's body hanging out the window. My first thought was one of horror, that I was about to see a crushed and bloodied dead or dying person, but she was just not moving much, being almost stuck trying to exit via the window. Up she got and was ok.

The were no other cars involved and the weather was good. How did she do it? Finding her mobile phone on the road about 20 yards back gave a clue. She had been gabbing away on the phone, one hand on the wheel, all attention on whatever the absolutely essential call was about when she clipped the grass bank and that tipped her car over and she was on her roof before she knew what had happened.

Had she both hands on the wheel and was paying attention it wouldn't have happened. Thus mobile phones and effectively driverless cars are the reason for overturned cars.

I notice a lot of people following the line round a roundabout who wait until it's almost too late before jerking the steering wheel towards the exit. Are they attempting to demonstrate their car's 'sporty handling' by deliberately unsettling its balance or are they simply not paying enough attention as to where they are going?

I drive buses, so I tend to take corners a wee bit more slowly than a typical Audi driver.

Not a day goes past where I hear or read of an overturned car.

I do a lot of driving and generally try to stick to the speed limits. Admittedly I have received 2 fines for slightly exceeding the speed limit over the last 20 years. So now I generally observe the speed limit.

The standard of driving I witness on a daily basis is absolutely appalling and now some idiots even seem to ignore red lights. Speeding, accidents, road rage and people tail gating just to save a few seconds off their journey.Some people think that they are on a race track.

I know that there is significantly more traffic on the road and every hour now seems like a rush hour and it seems to be getting crazier by the day.

Every time I fire up the Fiesta I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands.

Its pure madness out there.

It's really not that bad out there. Certainly in terms of deaths and injuries it's much better than it was. It's true that many drivers are inattentive, but the consequences of their inattention have been reduced by improved car safety and lowered and enforced speed limits. Human nature in action.

First I thought OP title said "over-tuned" :)

My guess is more SUVs on the road, that famously don't pass the 'elk test'

Yes, there is a fashion for taller people carriers. They are pretty rolly. Actually they are more vans than cars, and should be driven as such.

It isn't the speed, it's the desperate lack of attention paid by most people to their driving.

Simple example. A few months ago I was piling down the M4 to work, for once fairly clear, so I was going fast. There was a large bunch of cars doing a similar speed - enough to get us all a ticket if nicked. You would expect this group of drivers to be highly alert - they are going fast, and should be paying complete attention to the road ahead.

So, about 500 yards ahead I spot a police car. A big, marked police car with chevrons on the back and battenburg down the side. Can't miss it. Off the power, no need to brake, but touched the brakes to light up the brake lights to warn the car behind. Car behind not really paying attention, closes the gap. I see a slot in L2 and pull in. Matey goes roaring past, and to give him credit, spots the plod car about 100 yards out, and pulls over. The one behind him only spots the plod car as he draws level with it and commences a full emergency slow down about 20 yards in front of it. Blue lights on .....

I'd really like to know what these people are looking at while they drive. The second guy is precisely the sort of person who smacks into the back of a traffic jam on a motorway - or rolls the car because they leave no time to take avoiding action.

Here in Southampton there seems

to be an epidemic of vehicle rolling, as well as numerous cars there have been a number of articulated lorries flipped on roundabouts and 1 bin lorry.

When i pointed out in the comments section of the local newspaper that one of these Artic's may have flipped on a roundabout because it was 3:30pm on the afternoon before Good Friday and the Driver was from London And was probably racing to get finished to get back home for Easter, i was roundly attacked!

Strangely you never hear of any follow up court cases or prosecutions related to these overturning's do you?

It's A1 driving without due care and attention / careless driving.

That happened to me in my first car an old 70s fiat 500 air cooled with sun roof....slightly wet road, going round a roundabout and it tipped over, my friend fell on top of me, and as we both struggled through the sun roof she snapped the key in the ignition trying to balance on the steering column..... Hey ho.;)

That happened to me in my first car an old 70s fiat 500 air cooled with sun roof....slightly wet road, going round a roundabout and it tipped over, my friend fell on top of me, and as we both struggled through the sun roof she snapped the key in the ignition trying to balance on the steering column..... Hey ho. ;)

How did you get out through the roof if it was upside down? Are you some sort of advanced liquid metal Terminator? Well done for driving the Fiat BTW. They were very silly, and only slightly larger than a chicken egg.

It isn't the speed, it's the desperate lack of attention paid by most people to their driving.

Simple example. A few months ago I was piling down the M4 to work, for once fairly clear, so I was going fast. There was a large bunch of cars doing a similar speed - enough to get us all a ticket if nicked. You would expect this group of drivers to be highly alert - they are going fast, and should be paying complete attention to the road ahead.

So, about 500 yards ahead I spot a police car. A big, marked police car with chevrons on the back and battenburg down the side. Can't miss it. Off the power, no need to brake, but touched the brakes to light up the brake lights to warn the car behind. Car behind not really paying attention, closes the gap. I see a slot in L2 and pull in. Matey goes roaring past, and to give him credit, spots the plod car about 100 yards out, and pulls over. The one behind him only spots the plod car as he draws level with it and commences a full emergency slow down about 20 yards in front of it. Blue lights on .....

I'd really like to know what these people are looking at while they drive. The second guy is precisely the sort of person who smacks into the back of a traffic jam on a motorway - or rolls the car because they leave no time to take avoiding action.

Indeed, that's why I'm a terrible passenger. When I'm driving I'm constantly aware of whats going on and there are so many things I see when I'm in the passenger seat which get no reaction at all from the person driving. I'm not talking slam the breaks on stuff, but like you say a minor reaction to the changing conditions and situations.

You can see this a lot where I live, I'll tend to take a lot of rat runs and so often coming on or off side roads. As somebody entering the main high way I'm absolutely prepared to wait as long as necessary to get out, however there a numerous occasions where the driver on the main road can let me out with absolutely no inconvenience to them. That isn't a complaint about me being not let out but highlighting the fact they are completely oblivious to the fact there is a car attempting to enter the highway, or more significantly aware of anything.

You can tell if you are a sh1t driver, or not, by observing how many times your passenger goes for the imaginary brake, or indeed soils the upholstery. :o

How did you get out through the roof if it was upside down? Are you some sort of advanced liquid metal Terminator? Well done for driving the Fiat BTW. They were very silly, and only slightly larger than a chicken egg.

It did not tip right over, it tipped onto its side, wasn't driving fast.....used to call it a hair dryer, could hear me coming....good in cold weather no antifreeze required, had to get used to the double declutching though and the starter and choke positioned on the floor.....

A car full of lads pulled up behind us, tipped the car back over, one was a car mechanic and pulled out a couple of wires from behind the dash and got us going, hardly any damage done to the bodywork......it was the key issue that only stopped us driving off again as if nothing had happened.....angels always seem to turn up when you most need them;)

It's really not that bad out there. Certainly in terms of deaths and injuries it's much better than it was. It's true that many drivers are inattentive, but the consequences of their inattention have been reduced by improved car safety and lowered and enforced speed limits. Human nature in action.

Speed limits have largely become meaningless and are getting increasingly treated with contempt as a result. Safer cars have outpaced stupid drivers but shouldn't really be needed. All symptoms of increasing disconnect from the world and a complete and utter lack of self responsibility or even having to think from people.

"...there a numerous occasions where the driver on the main road can let me out with absolutely no inconvenience to them. That isn't a complaint about me being not let out but highlighting the fact they are completely oblivious to the fact there is a car attempting to enter the highway, or more significantly aware of anything."

Agree - this lack of attention frustrates and worries me.

My home exits onto road where there are lights 100 yards further up. At rush hour i routinely need to wait to exit because cars roll up to the back of the queue and block the driveway.

Total lack of awareness.

I may have to teach my children to drive soon. For practice I've tried narating what i am seeing any thinking as i drive. The amount of processing required is huge. It terrifies me that (it seems) many other drivers do nothing more than drive to the next junction or bumper of the car in front.

There are a certain amout of idiots on the road. There. I have spoken! :huh:

"...there a numerous occasions where the driver on the main road can let me out with absolutely no inconvenience to them. That isn't a complaint about me being not let out but highlighting the fact they are completely oblivious to the fact there is a car attempting to enter the highway, or more significantly aware of anything."

Agree - this lack of attention frustrates and worries me.

My home exits onto road where there are lights 100 yards further up. At rush hour i routinely need to wait to exit because cars roll up to the back of the queue and block the driveway.

Total lack of awareness.

I may have to teach my children to drive soon. For practice I've tried narating what i am seeing any thinking as i drive. The amount of processing required is huge. It terrifies me that (it seems) many other drivers do nothing more than drive to the next junction or bumper of the car in front.

The wisdom of crowds?

Sometimes doing what everyone else is doing is the wisest course of action.

It did not tip right over, it tipped onto its side, wasn't driving fast.....used to call it a hair dryer, could hear me coming....good in cold weather no antifreeze required, had to get used to the double declutching though and the starter and choke positioned on the floor.....

A car full of lads pulled up behind us, tipped the car back over, one was a car mechanic and pulled out a couple of wires from behind the dash and got us going, hardly any damage done to the bodywork......it was the key issue that only stopped us driving off again as if nothing had happened.....angels always seem to turn up when you most need them;)

I saw a car flip into the air in my rear view mirror once. No idea how it happened, there are no roads converging at that spot. Very strange.

If the car is turning, at just the right angle, at the right speed etc, if you suddenly apply opposite lock (front wheel cars, generally) you can get a flip.

Rare though.