House Price Crash Forum
tyres

Londoners Take To Twitter To Shame Landlords Over 'rip-Off' Rents

Londoners take to Twitter to shame landlords over 'rip-off' rents

Frustrated tenants tweeted photos of themselves holding up pieces of paper and card, on which they have scribbled how much they have paid to live at different locations across the capital. Renters shared their worst experiences of renting including horror stories of living with rats, cockroaches, damp and mould for upwards of £550 a month under the VentYourRent hashtag. Others described being forced to pay full rent while builders and decorators carried out renovations and prices being increased dramatically at short notice.

ventrent2704bb.jpg

article here....

But they don't (@genrentuk) campaign to #endHTB. Go figure.

Crying will do no good.

Spot on.

They need to get organised and go round en mass to the Landlords in turn and demand a 60% rent reduction.

Putting a picture on twitter might help generate the some motivation but people really need to protest.

I feel it's coming...

Anything that publicizes the unholy combination of ridiculous rents & substandard accommodation can only be a good thing, the more the issues find their way into the msm the more likely sentiments about HPI are likely to change - that said this won't change anything on its own.

Anything that publicizes the unholy combination of ridiculous rents & substandard accommodation can only be a good thing, the more the issues find their way into the msm the more likely sentiments about HPI are likely to change - that said this won't change anything on its own.

Publicize it all you want but those ****s in westminster will ignore it and do what the f**k they like.

When 2 million people are stood outside westminster with bit's of wood, some nails, a wicker basket and a large blade....then they might listen.

The UK is going to become one s**t place to live, if it already hasnt

Do yourself a favour and get out if you can.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Publicize it all you want but those ****s in westminster will ignore it and do what the f**k they like.

When 2 million people are stood outside westminster with bit's of wood, some nails, a wicker basket and a large blade....then they might listen.

The UK is going to become one s**t place to live, if it already hasnt

Do yourself a favour and get out if you can.

You're right, TPTB are far more concerned their interests than the interests of "hard working people" who just happen to pay for it all. But getting public opinion on the side of doing anything about it is going to be a slow process.

You're right, TPTB are far more concerned their interests than the interests of "hard working people" who just happen to pay for it all. But getting public opinion on the side of doing anything about it is going to be a slow process.

It'll take a second collapse....its coming.

All us dirty renters wish our rents were lower but I don't have much sympathy for these people living in London, most of whom weren't born there, complaining about their eye watering rents. Nobodies got a gun to their head making them live there. If you're not on £50k+ just leave the place.

All us dirty renters wish our rents were lower but I don't have much sympathy for these people living in London, most of whom weren't born there, complaining about their eye watering rents. Nobodies got a gun to their head making them live there. If you're not on £50k+ just leave the place.

I agree. If you don't spend 20% or less of your income on rent - you should always be looking for a job anywhere that does. The loss of income will be more than made up for the decrease in cost of living and lower working pace. With modern communications you also don't have to miss out on culture with National Theatre Live and you get the benefits of lower crime and pollution from a small community.

Edited by katchytitle

Pure narcissism.

Breaking news: Millenials are sad. So, what's new?

They need to campaign on an end to tax credits + capped housing benefit.

But mainly they need to campaign on wages - try rip off employees.

You want to run a compnay in Lonodn then start your pay at 50K.

Nobodies got a gun to their head making them live there. If you're not on £50k+ just leave the place.

While I have some sympathy, ultimately this is how I see it. There are opportunities outside London - find them and move. For those with valuable skills consider looking abroad too. The entrepreneurs may be able to go self employed up north. It's not easy but do they really want to sign away all their quality of living in the hope things change anytime soon. It's not happening as long as people sit tight and take it. People might cry 'but my family and friends'. Tell them to leave too. Do they want to sacrifice their lives for the sake of proximity, for people who may be doing the same thing. London is at peak population - an exodus is on the cards.

While I have some sympathy, ultimately this is how I see it. There are opportunities outside London - find them and move. For those with valuable skills consider looking abroad too. The entrepreneurs may be able to go self employed up north. It's not easy but do they really want to sign away all their quality of living in the hope things change anytime soon. It's not happening as long as people sit tight and take it. People might cry 'but my family and friends'. Tell them to leave too. Do they want to sacrifice their lives for the sake of proximity, for people who may be doing the same thing. London is at peak population - an exodus is on the cards.

I started working like this about 12 yrs ago. Companies wanted me to work on contract and be based in their city/office behind a desk. Flexible home working was rare. Finding a flexi-job wasn't easy.

Nowadays many companies that contact me offer flexible working. 1-2 days per fortnight at their office site. Rest of time at home. Allows them to keep their rates down also, as I've no need for travel / accomodation on regular basis. I'd go as far to say that any company I speak with now, they are very open to flexi-working. ie. remote.

I think if more people put the question to their company boss/HR, especially in London they might be surprised to find out they could work remotely. Would allow them to move away from the capital and get a life. And a cheaper house.

They need to campaign on an end to tax credits + capped housing benefit.

But mainly they need to campaign on wages - try rip off employees.

You want to run a compnay in Lonodn then start your pay at 50K.

I don't think the wages are entirely the employers fault, there are a lot of taxes, expenses etc.

I don't think the wages are entirely the employers fault, there are a lot of taxes, expenses etc.

Oh believe me they are when the employers are massive multi-nationals.

Witness the genius corporate trick of getting the lowest paid in London on temporary contracts as self-employed contractors.

Poor pay, no real working rights.