House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

People Who Should't Be Allowed Out Of The Country

:lol: How embarrassing! (but not embarrassed enough to tell their story to a national newspaper)

Whatever happens in Birmingham...

£1200 flights from Alabama to Vegas via Dallas ?

From Birmingham , England to Vegas for £1200 is even expensive.

This burd can't have been 'scouring' very hard for bargains at all.

A business student blew more than £700 on a spontaneous trip to Spain following a night in the pub - before flying back home just six hours later.

On the spur of the moment, Northumbria University student Dexter Panashe travelled 1,376 miles from Newcastle to Magaluf, blowing hundreds of pounds from his student grant and savings.

He then thought it was a good idea to feature in the Daily Mail about it and have his name googleable for now until eternity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3563464/Business-student-blows-700-pub-night-ends-trip-Magaluf-fly-home-just-SIX-HOURS-later.html

There was a Jonathan Meades programme around the turn of the century about Britain and one of the (few) jokes was a couple of deep southern hick types pictured at Birmingham Airport and one says... "Sheeeeet, we got the wrong Birminghaaaam."

I have a friend from the time who wets himself whenever I say it to him.

And I giggled like a schoolgirl when a colleague who lives in Stratford upon Avon booked cinema tickets that turned out to be in Stratford East London.

Many years ago, I went to Melbourne to give a conference paper. The conference was at Ormond College (Melbourne University). Having no idea where to find it (and this being long before Google), I naturally thought Ormond (a stop on the tube) would be a good place to look. Turned out the University is all one campus, while Ormond is a dreary suburb and completely separate!

In a previous incarnation, my job included sending staff travel itineraries to the company travel agent. One man was going to Halifax Nova Scotia and the tickets came back booking him onto a flight to Leeds-Bradford.

Somewhat related, mixing up names and places.......how many times have you seen pictures of places in newspapers, magazines, in travel brouchers and on internet describing a place which is in fact a totally different place altogether.....maybe a genuine mistake, but I am sure it is in some cases done intentionally for effect.;)

I've driven a few times through Moscow - in South Lanarkshire {IIRC].

Very strange seeing that sign there.

I got on a train from Nottingham to Tamworth once and a couple of tourists, American I think, had mistakenly bought a ticket to Tadworth instead, costing about £150 instead of £30. Tadworth shows at the top of the list of destinations at the automatic ticket machines, an easy mistake to make I suppose. Should have gone to specsavers...

They got fined by the conductor for not having a valid ticket too, to rub it in.

They got fined by the conductor for not having a valid ticket too, to rub it in.

I got on the wrong train at Schiphol Airport once and ended up in Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam. The ticket inspectors just laughed and called me an idiot. All I lost was a couple of hours of my time, in the UK, he would have matched me to the nearest ATM.

I got on the wrong train at Schiphol Airport once and ended up in Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam. The ticket inspectors just laughed and called me an idiot. All I lost was a couple of hours of my time, in the UK, he would have matched me to the nearest ATM.

I somehow managed to lose my boarding pass between security and the gate at Schippol once. I thought I would be in for a hefty charge as it was Easyjet. Seems this may be a common occurrence as they just looked at my passport - took me to the front of the queue - and marched me up to the plane ahead of everyone.

Schippol has a pattern for these type of events......

Many years ago in Nice we realised just in time that our poor french had produced tickets not to Florence Italy but to Fleurance near Toulouse.

Refunds cheerfully given and laugh at the stupid English.