House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CunningPlan

Expat Pensions

Chatting with the wife over lunch (taste card pizza express to fit in with OT frugality) and couldn't believe what she told me:

Her uncle is 81. Gets UK pension and has done for 26 or so years . No problem EXCEPT he lives in Australia. He left the UK 52 years ago having worked here for 3 years. He also gets a full Aussie pension.

Can this be true?

If he worked in Blighty 3 years, he'll have 3 years contributions. A small pension.

A Brit working abroad can continue to pay UK contributions and build up a pension. He might've done some of that too, especially if, at the start of his time in Oz, he expected to return to Blighty.

But ... but ... are you sure about those numbers (81 and 26)?

Oops - bad brain day. Meant 16 year's pension. He never expected to return (left in shame because of baby with underage girl :wub: )

Were UK pensions contribution based back then?

I haven't worked in the U.K since 1975 and don't live there now but somehow I got credited with 13 years N.I. contributions so got 13/30ths basic pension.My wife has never worked in the U.K. but she gets 60% of 13/30ths.Of course they pay for our heath care too.

Yes it's true. I'm in Oz staying with old friends who emigrated 42 years ago aged 22 and 23. They draw a UK pension based in their respective 5 years and 7 years of contributions. It isn't index linked.

Is it 30 years working in the UK to get full state pension? I worked in Ireland for 19 years. And all being well, should get 30 years in UK too. No idea if I'll get two or not.

Is it 30 years working in the UK to get full state pension? I worked in Ireland for 19 years. And all being well, should get 30 years in UK too. No idea if I'll get two or not.

35 years. You are not supposed to draw two state pensions in the EU but can bring your 19 Irish years to the UK to claim a full UK state pension, or take your UK years to Ireland. It depends where you were living when you retire.

35 years. You are not supposed to draw two state pensions in the EU but can bring your 19 Irish years to the UK to claim a full UK state pension, or take your UK years to Ireland. It depends where you were living when you retire.

We may not be in the EU then. Actually, there maybe no such thing. :)

Chatting with the wife over lunch (taste card pizza express to fit in with OT frugality) and couldn't believe what she told me:

Her uncle is 81. Gets UK pension and has done for 26 or so years . No problem EXCEPT he lives in Australia. He left the UK 52 years ago having worked here for 3 years. He also gets a full Aussie pension.

Can this be true?

Sounds like my Uncle - he get 10 quid a week based on several years contributions. I think it's paid quarterly.

Are they allowed to draw both pensions? I've heard from rellies in NZ and Australia that have been asked to make a choice between the country they are living in and the UK pension.

My late German grandmother got a German state pension despite living in the UK since 1946 and only working a couple of years in germany. Don't know if it was the full state pensions, or whether german pensions are generous, but I was told after 2008 as the pound weakened against the Euro her German pension paid out more than the British one, so wouldnt surprise me...

I've now discovered that my friends have been contributing to their UK pensions for years, and incidentally that the latest attempt to get a bank draft to pay the final contributions has met with a "no" from ANZ bank. It seems they've been unable to issue bank drafts since before Christmas. Seems the encoding on the pre-Christmas drafts was faulty and they won't issue more until these are returned. ?